• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ironhat
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2004
    • Chambersburg, PA (South-central).
    • Ridgid 3650 (can I still play here?)

Nice job! I'm impressed that you have variable speed control. I have infamous DP from Sears (the never-ending thread from last year about this time) and I have to fool around with belts and pulleys. Being a bit on the height challenged side I have a hard time making out the chart under the darn lid. Again, very nice job. I'll probably steal it. Oh yea, when you say 'captured T bolts' holt it to the iron table do you mean that they are non-removeable?
    Blessings,
    Chiz

Comment

• shoottx
      Veteran Member
      • May 2008
      • Plano, Texas
      • BT3000

Very Cool

You are correct about not mounting the dust collector in the fence. I have a Rockler DP table (it was a gift). It has the dust collecting port in the center back of the fence And I have had to remove the DC port or the fence on several occasions.

Go look at Rod Kirby's shop for his drill press dust collecting method. I think he also posted it in DBHOST'S drill press thread.
      Often in error - Never in doubt

Mike

Comment

• poolhound
        Veteran Member
        • Mar 2006
        • Phoenix, AZ
        • BT3100

Originally posted by ironhat
        Nice job! I'm impressed that you have variable speed control. I have infamous DP from Sears (the never-ending thread from last year about this time) and I have to fool around with belts and pulleys. Being a bit on the height challenged side I have a hard time making out the chart under the darn lid. Again, very nice job. I'll probably steal it. Oh yea, when you say 'captured T bolts' holt it to the iron table do you mean that they are non-removeable?
        4 of these are built into the base (non removeable)

http://www.diyhomesupplies.com/Barbe...d-Inserts.html

Screws come from underneath and attach to these.
        Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
        techzibits.com

Comment

• poolhound
          Veteran Member
          • Mar 2006
          • Phoenix, AZ
          • BT3100

Originally posted by shoottx
          Very Cool

You are correct about not mounting the dust collector in the fence. I have a Rockler DP table (it was a gift). It has the dust collecting port in the center back of the fence And I have had to remove the DC port or the fence on several occasions.

Go look at Rod Kirby's shop for his drill press dust collecting method. I think he also posted it in DBHOST'S drill press thread.
          Yup, saw that and stored it away to try
          Jon

techzibits.com

Comment

• dbhost
            Slow and steady
            • Apr 2008
            • League City, Texas
            • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by poolhound
            I had mentioned in some recent threads that I was building a DP table and I finished it yesterday. Still thinking about the best way to do DC. I was going to put a dust port on the back of the fence but didnt want to restrict the depth. I am going to try a couple of other ideas or just suffer the mess

Its made from 2 layers of MDF, 3/4 base and 1/2 top. The top could have been 1/4 but I had a lot of 1/2 laying around. I edged with HW and the observant of you will notice 2 different types (again using offcuts that I had). The fence is made from 2 layers of BB. As you can see it has a removeable insert. I made up 4 of these so I have spares. I may drill one out to accept a sanding drum although I do have a OSS as well.

It fixes to the DP main table with 4 embedded T nuts.

Okay, I finally got a chance to really look at this. You did some really nice work on this piece. I particularly like the wooden hold downs. Those are sweet! The dovetail routed slot for the sacrificial piece...

How is the edge banding done? T&G or a different setup?
            Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• poolhound
              Veteran Member
              • Mar 2006
              • Phoenix, AZ
              • BT3100

Originally posted by dbhost
              Okay, I finally got a chance to really look at this. You did some really nice work on this piece. I particularly like the wooden hold downs. Those are sweet! The dovetail routed slot for the sacrificial piece...

How is the edge banding done? T&G or a different setup?
              Just biscuits and glue of course
              Jon

techzibits.com

Comment

• dbhost
                Slow and steady
                • Apr 2008
                • League City, Texas
                • Ryobi BT3100

Just biscuits and glue of course
                In MDF? Uh, wouldn't that cause the MDF to distort? (I honestly don't know, that's why I am asking...)
                Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• poolhound
                  Veteran Member
                  • Mar 2006
                  • Phoenix, AZ
                  • BT3100

In MDF? Uh, wouldn't that cause the MDF to distort? (I honestly don't know, that's why I am asking...)
                  In my experience unless you get MDF really wet there is no problem using the same techniques as with wood or ply.

I have built things with MDF using just glue and screws and they are perfectly fine. The amount of moisture in wood glue is minimal and with the usual thin layer it soaks into the MDF and drys in a matter of seconds.

I have never had any problems with glue causing the MDF to alter its shape or generaly very stable nature.
                  Jon

techzibits.com

Comment

• lrogers
                    Veteran Member
                    • Dec 2002
                    • Mobile, AL. USA.
                    • BT3000

That is VERY nice!
                    Larry R. Rogers
                    The Samurai Wood Butcher
                    http://splash54.multiply.com
                    http://community.webshots.com/user/splash54

Comment

• poolhound
                      Veteran Member
                      • Mar 2006
                      • Phoenix, AZ
                      • BT3100

DB, I just noticed that you mentioned the space for the sacrificial blank as being routed with a DT bit. Thats not how it was done, although I guess it could have been an option. In fact no routing was done on this.

The two 1/2" top pieces were cut slightly over size, beveled (14deg) on the TS and then stuck to the base. I used a spacer to keep them sq. When dry I trimmed the whole thing to size. I then fixed on the HW edging and cut the same bevel though the front. I cleared the rest of the waste with a chisel, plane and sandpaper.
                      Jon

techzibits.com

Comment

• dbhost
                        Slow and steady
                        • Apr 2008
                        • League City, Texas
                        • Ryobi BT3100

Well, okay, 14 degrees anyway... It looks great.

Comment

• SARGE..g-47

Very.. very nice Poolhound... You did a nice job on the dove-tails for the inserts. I believe you said you made 4 extra inserts. I use my DP quite often and like the way yours is used as it can slide to get fresh insert. But... I would suggest if you use it often as I do.. go ahead and cut about 20 inserts at a time. It's easier to do it that way than have to set back up after using 4 then another 4.. etc.

Good set-up on the groves holding track from front to rear for the hold-downs. You might want to consider adding two more closer to the insert as I often run into a situation where the stock is being drilled on the end and can only be clamped on one side. I use two as you have and one center track but my insert is square which allows for the center track to extend to the insert. On yours one on each side would do the trick if you do find that you run into those situations often.

Again.... excellent job!

Comment

• chopnhack
                            Veteran Member
                            • Oct 2006
                            • Florida
                            • Ryobi BT3100

Glued a couple of scrap pieces of 3/4" something (I think it was poplar) to make a 1.5" wide by 1.5" high blank. Length to taste - mine were about 6". Drill and chisel the slot mortise while its still square. Then sketch the shap on the edge. Bandsaw, sand and apply some wipe on poly and thats that!

Other than waiting for the glue and finish to dry time to make was about 30 mins.
                            Very cool, ty for info!
                            I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• poolhound
                              Veteran Member
                              • Mar 2006
                              • Phoenix, AZ
                              • BT3100

Originally posted by SARGE..g-47
                              Good set-up on the groves holding track from front to rear for the hold-downs. You might want to consider adding two more closer to the insert as I often run into a situation where the stock is being drilled on the end and can only be clamped on one side. I use two as you have and one center track but my insert is square which allows for the center track to extend to the insert. On yours one on each side would do the trick if you do find that you run into those situations often.

Again.... excellent job!
                              Thanks Sarge, I did think about this but didnt want to put any extra slots in until I had tried other options. I figured I could clamp a taller piece to the and keep it steady with a stop block. I guess I will see how that works and add other slots if necessary.

Thanks for the feedback.
                              Jon

techzibits.com

Comment

• cgallery
                                Veteran Member
                                • Sep 2004
                                • Milwaukee, WI
                                • BT3K

It still uses a belt. The front and back pulleys are made from two plates that open and close to change the effective diameter. The knob/lever on the left side changes the speed.
                                Oh, so that is the same as on my old WDP1850 (I think that is the part #) Ryobi. I didn't sse the knob on the side.

Comment

Working...