X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jussi
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2007

Doesn't look simple to me. Beautiful craftsmanship Sarge.
    I reject your reality and substitute my own.

Comment

• shoottx
      Veteran Member
      • May 2008
      • Plano, Texas
      • BT3000

Originally posted by SARGE..g-47
      All ya have to do is send $300 to the following who is an estate broker with the "not so royal bank of nigeria" and it will be forwarded to you!

Just kidding of course... again thanks for the kind words.
      They have contacted me several times and the lawyer, minister of something and several dignitaries with cool titles have offered money, gold, cd's and other negotiable interests but no mortise machine. I had to turn them all down
      Often in error - Never in doubt

Mike

Comment

• SARGE..g-47

Thanks Jussi.... a

And Shoottx.... I would also fore-go the money offer also. When are those "good ole boys" in Nigeria going to realize they would have better luck re-wording what you were left by your departed relative to a WW tool or machine. Who cares if you won the Irish lottery or if Major Dumb-*ss of the U.S. Marine Corp stationed in Iraq is trying to get a fortune he found on the side of the road in a plain, brown paper sack back into the U.S. and needs your help as he must keep it a secret from the government to avoid having to pay taxes.

Obviously I missed my calling. If only the world-wide computer net-work was available back in 1959 when my dad died and I had to take a job at age 13. I'd be so rich now.. I wouldn't even bother to say "morning sir" or "morning ma'am" to all the commoners as I do now. Ahhh.... the life of the rich and famous via the inter-net. ha.. ha... ha..ha..ha..

Have a good day guys....

Comment

• Duff
          Established Member
          • Apr 2007
          • San Antonio, TX
          • Enco 12" RT

That is purdy! Love the style!!!
          Enco 12" RT table saw(with router table currently added to right wing), Central Machinary 6" jointer, Delta 16" (17-900) drill press, Ridgid 14" bandsaw, Jet bench top Mortising machine, Porter Cable 6901 series routers (2) and a wide variety of Ryobi 18v tools.

Comment

• SARGE..g-47

Thanks Duff...

Comment

• ironhat
              Veteran Member
              • Aug 2004
              • Chambersburg, PA (South-central).
              • Ridgid 3650 (can I still play here?)

A late question to the thread, Sarge, but how did you fasten the corbels? You stated that you used joinery instead of fasteners so, did you use dowels or mini-mortises?
              Blessings,
              Chiz

Comment

• SARGE..g-47

Originally posted by ironhat
                A late question to the thread, Sarge, but how did you fasten the corbels? You stated that you used joinery instead of fasteners so, did you use dowels or mini-mortises?
                Not a great fan of dowels in most cases Chiz, but I used two on each corbel with a thin line of glue running down the center also. Notice in the picture where I have blue tape on the corbel side of the leg where they go. I finished first and then removed the blue tape and added the corbels as dowel hole were pre-cut and raw stock left for a glue line.

I am basically a mortise and tenon person but... in this case they would be major over-kill as the corbels have no structural inter-action with the main piece. Hope that helps and I think you will probably agree.

Regards...

Comment

• Iansaws
                  Established Member
                  • Jul 2007
                  • Marietta, Ga
                  • Ryobi BT3100

Building one very similar to this right now.

First of all let me compliment you on your craftsmanship. The table is beautiful and I hope the one I am working on now looks as good...from a distance anyway. I live in Marietta by the way and this will be my first major funiture project. I was hoping you might provide the table top dimensions as that has been something that I have been wrestling with. I am not working from any plans myself but have finished the leg sections and am now designing the top. My first thought was to glue up a top with QSWO as you have done, but my dining room table, which is mission stlyed, has a end caps that are about 6 inches deep and perpendicular to the lenght of the table. The 4/4 QSWO I have already purchased for a glue up is about 6 inches thick so I decided to try to emulate the dining room table pattern. This past weekend however I was able to purchase several sheets of QSWO 1/4 inch plywood at a bargain and so now instead of doing a glue up I have decided to cheat and glue the 1/4 inch plywood to a piece of 3/4 plywood then edge it all the way around with the 4/4 QSWO solid stock that I already have using bisquits and glue of course. I am hoping to dress it up with some butterfly inlays as well. My only fear is that the two woods will expand and contract differently and cause a major failure later on. Any thoughts on any of this from anyone? Please don't hate me for cheating a little to save some money on my first project. I feel bad enough already. If it is just a bad idea though... I want to hear about it. Also, I hope this doesn't qualify as "highjacking the thread" and just in case it is I will repost this question in the proper area.
                  I feel more like I do today than I did yesterday...

Comment

• SARGE..g-47

I'm going to reply over in the thread you just started.. Mission Coffee Table, Ian. That way you can get other opinions and not have to wade through all the post here.

Comment

• Two Much
                      Established Member
                      • Mar 2003
                      • Long Island, NY
                      • (two) Ryobe BT-3's

Gorgeous, I love the design, drawer and bottom shelf. Pretty and functional as well.
                      The lady of the house must be delighted.

Joann

Comment

• John Hunter
                        Veteran Member
                        • Dec 2004
                        • Lake Station, IN, USA.
                        • BT3000 & BT3100

Very nice.
                        John Hunter

Comment

Working...