Tere's TV Stand

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • GPA61
    Senior Member
    • Sep 2004
    • 712
    • Rancho Cucamonga, CA
    • BT 3100 & JET JWTS

    #1

    Tere's TV Stand

    I made this for my sister, Teresa. It was a long time in the making due to the heat in the shop. It's REALLY hot in So. Cal.

    I used cheap birch plywood from Lowe's and solid birch on the edges and face frame. I used shellac for a wash coat. Then I put several coats of stain on to get it the right color. It's darker than the picture shows. Then used shellac (padded) for a finish coat. The glass is tempered 1/4" thick.

    Using shellac was a new experience for me but I am really pleased with the finished product. It shines like a mirror. I know the pictures don't show that.

    You might see a partial tour of my shop in the glass doors.
    Attached Files
    Claudio
  • conwaygolfer
    Established Member
    • Jun 2008
    • 371
    • Conway, SC.
    • BT3000

    #2
    TV Stand

    Your sister will love that piece of furniture. I also have never used shellac for a finish coat or otherswise. What did you mean that you used it for a wash coat first? Does this seal the wood? I am still learning about finishes.
    Thanks,
    Glenn

    Comment

    • BobSch
      Veteran Member
      • Aug 2004
      • 4385
      • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
      • BT3100

      #3
      That's a fine-looking piece. Your sister should be thrilled.
      Bob

      Bad decisions make good stories.

      Comment

      • dbhost
        Slow and steady
        • Apr 2008
        • 9560
        • League City, Texas
        • Ryobi BT3100

        #4
        I had never even considered using Shellac, but that finish looks amazing!

        Your sister should be ecstatic to receive that item...
        Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

        Comment

        • footprintsinconc
          Veteran Member
          • Nov 2006
          • 1759
          • Roseville (Sacramento), CA
          • BT3100

          #5
          looks very nice! i like the color you chose for the tempered glass. it goes great with the piece.
          _________________________
          omar

          Comment

          • shoottx
            Veteran Member
            • May 2008
            • 1240
            • Plano, Texas
            • BT3000

            #6
            Very Cool

            Add me to the shellac quiz. Never used it but am interested!
            Often in error - Never in doubt

            Mike

            Comment

            • Bill in Buena Park
              Veteran Member
              • Nov 2007
              • 1867
              • Buena Park, CA
              • CM 21829

              #7
              Very nice work - all the details are clean, and the finish is great. Well done!
              Bill in Buena Park

              Comment

              • gsmittle
                Veteran Member
                • Aug 2004
                • 2793
                • St. Louis, MO, USA.
                • BT 3100

                #8
                Like everybody else said, very nice work--I like the clean, simple lines.

                I used shellac for the first time about a year ago. It's now my favorite finish... I guess that makes me a shellacaholic

                Whatever you do, don't drink the solvent!

                g.
                Smit

                "Be excellent to each other."
                Bill & Ted

                Comment

                • Pappy
                  The Full Monte
                  • Dec 2002
                  • 10490
                  • San Marcos, TX, USA.
                  • BT3000 (x2)

                  #9
                  Beautiful cabinetry, Claudio.

                  I use shellac as a finish on the totes and knobs for my planes. Wipes on easily, builds up quickly, and has a beautiful deep shine! Just don't set a beer or drink on it.
                  Don, aka Pappy,

                  Wise men talk because they have something to say,
                  Fools because they have to say something.
                  Plato

                  Comment

                  • Black wallnut
                    cycling to health
                    • Jan 2003
                    • 5513
                    • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
                    • BT3k 1999

                    #10
                    That looks great Claudio! I bet she will enjoy the heck out of it!
                    Donate to my Tour de Cure


                    marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

                    Head servant of the forum

                    ©

                    Comment

                    • Popeye
                      Veteran Member
                      • Mar 2003
                      • 1848
                      • Woodbine, Ga
                      • Grizzly 1023SL

                      #11
                      Beautiful job Claudio. A really nice looking piece. Pat
                      Woodworking is therapy.....some of us need more therapy than others. <ZERO>

                      Comment

                      • DonHo
                        Veteran Member
                        • Mar 2004
                        • 1098
                        • Shawnee, OK, USA.
                        • Craftsman 21829

                        #12
                        Nice TV stand and from what I can see of your shop, it's nice too

                        DonHo
                        Don

                        Comment

                        • cgallery
                          Veteran Member
                          • Sep 2004
                          • 4503
                          • Milwaukee, WI
                          • BT3K

                          #13
                          Nice even tone on the wood, great matching color in the glass and hardware. Fantastic.

                          Your own design or from plans?

                          Comment

                          • wareagle
                            Forum Newbie
                            • Mar 2006
                            • 66

                            #14
                            Great job!

                            Comment

                            • lrogers
                              Veteran Member
                              • Dec 2002
                              • 3853
                              • Mobile, AL. USA.
                              • BT3000

                              #15
                              VERY nice, Claudio!
                              Larry R. Rogers
                              The Samurai Wood Butcher
                              http://splash54.multiply.com
                              http://community.webshots.com/user/splash54

                              Comment

                              Working...