• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mpauly
    Established Member
    • Apr 2006
    • NJ

Finished the Crib!

It was a longer process than I had anticipated, but I recently finished the Rockler Heirloom crib....and just in time for the birth of our daughter on 8/8/08. All in all I'm very happy with the way this turned out. I deviated from the plan slightly and secured the slats with mortise and tenon joints rather than the grove and spacers called for. It was more work to build and assemble, but I think it looks a bit nicer.

It's made from cherry with African mahogany accents, finished with General Finishes Seal-a-Cell and Arm-r-Seal. I sourced the rough lumber from a couple places and dimensioned it myself. This project was a list of 'firsts' for me:

1. First real piece of furniture.
    2. First use of mortise and tenon joints (all 104 of them).
    3. First use of African Mahogany. I really like the look of it and already have a few projects in mind for the future. It's open grain is slightly different to cut, route, sand and finish compared to the other domestics I've used.
    4. First use of Seal-a-Cell and Arm-R-Seal. I wiped it on with a cut-up t-shirt and buffed in between coats with 0000 steal wool. I really liked this stuff as it was easy to wipe on a smooth finish and buff the final semi-gloss to coat to more of a satin sheen.
    5. First time pre-finishing before assembly. I really couldn't imagine doing this particular project any other way unless you are going to spray. I strung up some thin rope in my basement and attached each slat with a binder clip, worked like a charm. The legs and cross pieces I drove a finish nail in either end and held them up between some jointed 2x6's (made it easy to rotate them and finish all sides at once). The pre-finishing also made glue-up easy, just wiped off the squeeze out with a damp rag without worries of it 'staining' the wood.

As with all projects, there are a couple of flaws that probably only I'll know, but they scream at me every time I look at it. I wasn't at all happy with the wood selection for the top caps on the ends (some sap wood that I didn't notice until applying the finish) and, so I only attached them with double stick tape until I can re-do them with nicer pieces. Now that the crib is filled, I have a baby to scream back at me

I didn't take may photos of the process, but here are a couple of shots of the finished product.

Thanks to Shadowfox and a few others for their help.

Next project is a side table to sit next to the glider.

Michael
  • radhak
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2006
    • Miramar, FL
    • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

Ok - first things first : 8/8, you said? 8/8?!!!?? And you are showing us pictures of a crib ? Where are the pictures of the real thing, that product of marital confluence? Show us the baby in the crib, my man!

< Somehow I get the idea your wife does not read this forum >

But anyway - that's a great crib! The cherry/mahogany looks lovely, with beautiful grain.

Btw - 104 M&Ts! Dedicated hubby, huh? - you really wanted to share pain with the LOYL...
    But havta say, gives a solid look; the cribshould survive till this baby has a baby of her own .

Grand work!
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - Aristotle

Comment

• mpauly
      Established Member
      • Apr 2006
      • NJ

Thanks for the kind words Radhak. She was born on 8/8/08 and I forgot to add that she weighed in at 8lbs 8oz. Things have been super busy since her arrival, as you can imagine, so I completely forgot a pic of the munchkin.

Yes, 104 M&T joints were in part a labor of love, but because of the symmetry of the piece, I was able to gang up all the like pieces, lay them out all at once and then route the mortises using an edge guide. The tenons I then batch cut using a simple horizontal router table I built (got the plans from a generous soul on this site). The M&T joints also allowed me to round over the edges of the slats, something I wouldn't have been able to easily do with the groove/spacer approach.

Thanks again,
      Michael

Comment

• leehljp
        Just me
        • Dec 2002
        • Tunica, MS
        • BT3000/3100

That is some FINE work! Well done, well done! I can see a grandbaby using that crib.
        Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• Pappy
          The Full Monte
          • Dec 2002
          • San Marcos, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 (x2)

I was going to raise a bit of a ruckus on the lack of the occupant's picture, too, but you corrected it before I got a chance.

Outstanding work on both parts of the project, Michael, although one of them is FAR from finished!
          Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
          Fools because they have to say something.
          Plato

Comment

• dbhost
            Slow and steady
            • Apr 2008
            • League City, Texas
            • Ryobi BT3100

Beautiful product of love and dedication. Of course the crib's not bad either...

Congrats on both!
            Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• crokett
              The Full Monte
              • Jan 2003
              • Mebane, NC, USA.
              • Ryobi BT3000

Very nice work! And the crib is nice too.

I built the same crib for my oldest, the younger one is using it now. Did you have problems with the hardware not matching up to the holes you were supposed to drill? I did and called Rockler. They looked into it for me and figured out that the mfgr of the hardware had changed some things and not bothered to tell Rockler.
              David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• mpauly
                Established Member
                • Apr 2006
                • NJ

Originally posted by crokett
                Very nice work! And the crib is nice too.

I built the same crib for my oldest, the younger one is using it now. Did you have problems with the hardware not matching up to the holes you were supposed to drill? I did and called Rockler. They looked into it for me and figured out that the mfgr of the hardware had changed some things and not bothered to tell Rockler.
                Again, thanks for the kind words.

I had heard similar stories about issues with mounting the hardware so I after marking out the holes, I carefully checked everything against the hardware before drilling. Rockler must have updated the plans as the holes lined up perfectly. I will say that beyond the measurements for the holes, the directions for the mounting the hardware were nearly non-existent (if I recall, it basically just said finish the wood and install the hardware). There are certain holes that need the threaded inserts installed in them, other holes that are for screws and other holes that are simply relief holes behind bolts that screw into mounting plates. Took a little bit of head scratching to figure out what went where.

Michael

Comment

• drumpriest
                  Veteran Member
                  • Feb 2004
                  • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
                  • Powermatic PM 2000

Looks great! Congratulations on both! I entertained doing one of these for my son, but then ran completely out of time. I was too busy doing stuff for other people (isn't that always the way). You did a great job!
                  Keith Z. Leonard
                  Go Steelers!

Comment

• SHADOWFOX
                    Veteran Member
                    • May 2005
                    • IL, USA.
                    • DELTA 36-675

Michael,

Congratulations to you and your wife. Your daughter is beautiful! What's her name?

Love the crib! You did an amazing job. Now that you've done 104 M&T joints on this project, the upcoming side table project with M&T joints should be a piece of cake.

Kind regards,
                    Chris

"The first key to wisdom is constant and frequent questioning, for by doubting we are led to question and by questioning we arrive at the truth." -Pierre Abelard 11th Century philosopher.

Comment

• lrogers
                      Veteran Member
                      • Dec 2002
                      • Mobile, AL. USA.
                      • BT3000

Beautiful crib and baby! Congrats to you and mom.
                      Larry R. Rogers
                      The Samurai Wood Butcher
                      http://splash54.multiply.com
                      http://community.webshots.com/user/splash54

Comment

• jhart
                        Veteran Member
                        • Feb 2004
                        • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
                        • BT3100

Both are beautiful. Congrats!
                        Joe
                        "All things are difficult before they are easy"

Comment

• Bill in Buena Park
                          Veteran Member
                          • Nov 2007
                          • Buena Park, CA
                          • CM 21829

Beautiful baby girl, and excellent work on the crib - you've got alot to be proud of.
                          Bill in Buena Park

Comment

• wareagle
                            Forum Newbie
                            • Mar 2006

Nice looking work.

Comment

• BadeMillsap
                              • Dec 2005
                              • Bulverde, Texas, USA.
                              • Grizzly G1023SL

OUTSTANDING and may I ask ...

is this the Rocklear plan that converts to youth bed and full bed? I ask because I have THAT plan and am going Tuesday (9/9/08) to the samill to purchase the rough stock to START the project ... wishing I was finished. If it IS the convertible plan ... did you build all pieces? and do you know approx how many bf you used?

I really like the contrasting wood ... hadn't considered that but it is a very nice effect.
                              "Like an old desperado, I paint the town beige ..." REK
                              Bade Millsap
                              Bulverde, Texas
                              => Bade's Personal Web Log
                              => Bade's Lutherie Web Log

Comment

Working...