• Show
Clear All
  • JimK
    Forum Newbie
    • Feb 2003
    • Fairless Hills, PA
    • BT3100

Closet Organizer

This is a project I worked on a couple of years ago. I've been away from this site for awhile (I rotate through different hobbies), but I was recently reminded of this project and thought I'd post. Especially since most of what I know about woodworking I learned here.

I used Melamine purchased from Home Depot and made all cuts with a circular saw. All joinery was done using pocket holes. The separately assembled units are mounted to the wall by resting them on cleats that run the length of the walls 12" above the floor. This provides additional storage space underneath (and allowed me to leave the carpet in). The units are supported at the top by a cleat and pocket hole screws are also used underneath the fixed shelves that meet up with studs in the wall.

The drawer insides are made of 1/2" Baltic Birch and are joined using pocket holes. The faces are poplar with routed edges and finished with a paint that I had them mix to match the color of the melamine.

I was really happy with the overall cost and how this turned out using the standard size Melamine products from Home Depot. I also learned to have a great appreciation for pocket hole joinery.

Thanks,

Jim K.
    Attached Files
  • radhak
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2006
    • Miramar, FL
    • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

The only difficulty you seem to have had was in photographing it ! You have made the best use of available space.

Very neat, and professional looking! Getting the paint mixed to match was a good idea. I should remember that.

Great job!
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - Aristotle

Comment

• Pappy
      The Full Monte
      • Dec 2002
      • San Marcos, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 (x2)

Great work and a timely posting. A remake of the wif's closet is in the soon to be offings. These pics should give her more ideas than I want to think about!
      Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
      Fools because they have to say something.
      Plato

Comment

• just started
        • Mar 2008
        • suburban Philly

Closet? I call that closer to a ROOM!

Comment

• JimK
          Forum Newbie
          • Feb 2003
          • Fairless Hills, PA
          • BT3100

Originally posted by radhak
          The only difficulty you seem to have had was in photographing it ! You have made the best use of available space.

Very neat, and professional looking! Getting the paint mixed to match was a good idea. I should remember that.

Great job!
          Thanks. It was really tough getting pictures to do it justice in that tight area. The wider angle lens includes more in the picture but starts to distort it...

I started out using a white paint that I had on hand and the drawer face just stood out too much. I brought a piece of the melamine to the store and it worked out well.

Jim K.

Comment

• JimK
            Forum Newbie
            • Feb 2003
            • Fairless Hills, PA
            • BT3100

Originally posted by Pappy
            Great work and a timely posting. A remake of the wif's closet is in the soon to be offings. These pics should give her more ideas than I want to think about!
            If you're planning to do some design I really recommend going to EasyClosets.com. I have no affiliation with them but I'm willing to risk sounding like I'm pushing them because I can't say enough about how much their design tools helped me out. They were really easy to use. I feel guilty not buying anything from them after all the use I got out of them. I just went back to their site today and found that my design was still saved there after 2 years!

I took a couple of screen prints (and used Photoshop) to give an idea of what's there. Picture #1 shows the left, middle and right walls that I wound up with. Picture #2 shows one of the walls and how you can build the units. You identify how wide each section of the wall unit is. You can then choose to have drawers, shelves, hangers and a bunch of other options. This really helped me for deciding what I wanted where.

Since this particular design was a walk-in closet (they have other configurations as well), the 3d view (picture #3) gave me an idea of how functional it would be. It allows you to walk inside and around and drop walls for better views.

It's a lot better than building it and then hearing "can you move that unit over to the other wall? Take that shelf out and add a drawer. No, put it back..."

Jim K.
            Attached Files

Comment

• JimK
              Forum Newbie
              • Feb 2003
              • Fairless Hills, PA
              • BT3100

Originally posted by just started
              Closet? I call that closer to a ROOM!
              . The actual dimensions are 70" x 105" (which I had to look up in the design on that site I just mentioned). We moved in about 6 years ago, and I never had a closet this big. The original owner had a couple of sagging shelves running the length of the walls and that was it. I really wanted to take advantage of it. These days its pretty much full to capacity...

Jim K.
              Last edited by JimK; 08-30-2008, 06:46 AM.

Comment

• cabinetman
                Gone but not Forgotten RIP
                • Jun 2006
                • So. Florida
                • Delta

Originally posted by JimK
                If you're planning to do some design I really recommend going to EasyClosets.com. I have no affiliation with them but I'm willing to risk sounding like I'm pushing them because I can't say enough about how much their design tools helped me out. They were really easy to use. I feel guilty not buying anything from them after all the use I got out of them. I just went back to their site today and found that my design was still saved there after 2 years!

Jim K.

That is a cool site. They give a lot to work with. Hard to believe they save your stuff.

Comment

• JimK
                  Forum Newbie
                  • Feb 2003
                  • Fairless Hills, PA
                  • BT3100

Originally posted by cabinetman
                  ... Hard to believe they save your stuff.
                  I know, that surprised me. When you think about it though, they're really only saving dimensions and settings so the disk space probably isn't all that much. I just checked with my wife to see if we ever get any email solicitations from them (I used her email address). She said we might have in the beginning, but she doesn't recall getting anything from them.

Jim K.

Comment

• twistsol
                    Veteran Member
                    • Dec 2002
                    • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
                    • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

That looks fantastic and a similar project is on my list, but way down on the list.
                    Chr's

Comment

• footprintsinconc
                      Veteran Member
                      • Nov 2006
                      • Roseville (Sacramento), CA
                      • BT3100

jim,

amazing outcome of the closet. thanks for sharing the website, its definitely a very use tool. my wife loves the layout and is now asking me to look into organizing our walkin.

great job!

Comment

• drumpriest
                        Veteran Member
                        • Feb 2004
                        • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
                        • Powermatic PM 2000

Looks really good. I did a small one, but nothing on this scale, that looks very useful. If I do another closet I'll be using that site, for sure, thanks!
                        Keith Z. Leonard
                        Go Steelers!

Comment

• lrogers
                          Veteran Member
                          • Dec 2002
                          • Mobile, AL. USA.
                          • BT3000

Nice, well thought out job. Looks like you were able to make use of every inch of space you had to work with.
                          Larry R. Rogers
                          The Samurai Wood Butcher
                          http://splash54.multiply.com
                          http://community.webshots.com/user/splash54

Comment

• JimK
                            Forum Newbie
                            • Feb 2003
                            • Fairless Hills, PA
                            • BT3100

Thanks to everyone for the compliments. With regard to the use of all available space, that was a big goal of mine and I tried quite a few different combinations before I came up with this one. The pictures are misleading because they make it look like its a tight squeeze in there (for example the last one with the ironing board rest), but it really is pretty comfortable moving around and pulling clothes in/out out on the hangers.

Again, I have to give thanks back to this site because most of my skills I picked up from here. I plan to be visiting more often...

Thanks,

Jim K.

Comment

Working...