• Show
Clear All
  • ryanps
    Forum Newbie
    • Dec 2006
    • Maumee, Ohio
    • ShopFox W1677

Briefcase

Here is a briefcase I just completed. Only thing left is a leather insert but Rockler has discontinued selling them (they are right there in their new catalog though). Not sure what I am going to do about the insert. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks for having a look.

Mahogany and Maple with Deft Satin wood sealer. No stain (all the test pieces of maple just looked terrible with stain on them).
    Attached Files
  • final_t
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2003

I take it you want some leather to line the inside? Try looking at either Hobby Lobby or Micheal's craft stores for suitable pieces. If that fails, a local saddle shop should be able to help out.
    Or maybe I'm just not understanding what "leather insert" really is?

Comment

• ryanps
      Forum Newbie
      • Dec 2006
      • Maumee, Ohio
      • ShopFox W1677

Originally posted by final_t
      I take it you want some leather to line the inside? Try looking at either Hobby Lobby or Micheal's craft stores for suitable pieces. If that fails, a local saddle shop should be able to help out.
      Or maybe I'm just not understanding what "leather insert" really is?
      Just a piece of leather with some flaps to hold pens and calculators etc... It lines the entire inside of the briefcase.

Comment

• footprintsinconc
        Veteran Member
        • Nov 2006
        • Roseville (Sacramento), CA
        • BT3100

Nice!! that is the first briefcase that i saw made out of wood. the contrast on the wood looks nice!

Comment

• SARGE..g-47

Very nice Ryan as I have never seen a wooden brief-case before. I don't get out much I suppose. I assume the $1 bill is what was left over after purchase of the mahogany and maple?

Comment

• LinuxRandal
            Veteran Member
            • Feb 2005
            • Independence, MO, USA.
            • bt3100

Unfortunately, Clevland is your closest Tandy leather (hobbiest supply), but you might call there and see if they have something. Or try an upolstrey shop, check your local yellow pages for leather.

I realize the economy does/can affect what companies can get/advertise/sell, but I would also write Rockler about that. They may find one around and send it to you as well as give you another possible source.
            She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• ryanps
              Forum Newbie
              • Dec 2006
              • Maumee, Ohio
              • ShopFox W1677

Originally posted by SARGE..g-47
              Very nice Ryan as I have never seen a wooden brief-case before. I don't get out much I suppose. I assume the $1 bill is what was left over after purchase of the mahogany and maple?
              Ha-Ha. No, the dollar was just to provide reference. Believe a dollar is around 6 inches in length.

The wood was the cheapest thing on the entire project. The hinges were $26. The handle was $25. The locks were $25 (that included both locks). The feet were $7.

Comment

• RAFlorida
                Veteran Member
                • Apr 2008
                • Green Swamp in Central Florida. Gator property!
                • Ryobi BT3000

Very nice.

It's not all that often you see a wood briefcase, but your's dose look great. And it looks like it'll hold a lot a dollar bills!

Comment

• John Hunter
                  Veteran Member
                  • Dec 2004
                  • Lake Station, IN, USA.
                  • BT3000 & BT3100

That is very nice! I tried a quick Google search for briefcase inserts and found this one http://www.defenshield.com/tactical/briefcase.php it makes you bullet proof! Also this http://www.reliablehardware.com/shoppingcart/item/337
                  John Hunter

Comment

• Bill in Buena Park
                    Veteran Member
                    • Nov 2007
                    • Buena Park, CA
                    • CM 21829

Very nice workmanship and finish.
                    Bill in Buena Park

Comment

• GPA61
                      • Sep 2004
                      • Rancho Cucamonga, CA
                      • BT 3100 & JET JWTS

Beautiful work.
                      Claudio

Comment

• JimD
                        Veteran Member
                        • Feb 2003
                        • Lexington, SC.

Looks nice. I have been thinking of doing the same thing but have not due to weight of the finished piece and the cost of the hardware. While the flap thing is traditional, I do not know if I would do it. What I really need in a briefcase is storage for at least one pen and pencil, business cards, and I think I would have a compartment for my computer with accessories and possible a zippered pad. In other words, I would build in storage for what I really want to carry.

Jim

Comment

• cabinetman
                          Gone but not Forgotten RIP
                          • Jun 2006
                          • So. Florida
                          • Delta

Great looking case. Nicely done, and very attractive. I like the light/dark combo. As for briefcase inserts, here is one supplier. I may be able to come up with a few more with some time.

Not to hijack this thread or try to steal any thunder, I'll show a briefcase that I pretty much had to make several. It is one I use in meeting clients. Of course what's better than a wood briefcase for a woodworker. Anyway, there were many requests for similar cases. As for the interior inserts, at the time I got mine from a local supplier that unfortunately had health problems and closed. I thought Rockler had briefcase parts, such as locks, handles, and hinges, and possibly leather/vinyl inserts. The inserts I used were trimable, and fitting was fairly easy.

Comment

• lrogers
                            Veteran Member
                            • Dec 2002
                            • Mobile, AL. USA.
                            • BT3000

Wow! Never saw a brief case like that before, but for a wood worker, what could be better? Nice job!
                            Larry R. Rogers
                            The Samurai Wood Butcher
                            http://splash54.multiply.com
                            http://community.webshots.com/user/splash54

Comment

• gjat
                              • Nov 2005
                              • Valrico (Tampa), Florida.
                              • BT3100

ryan,
                              I really, really, really like the laminated look on the interior, are you sure you want to cover it up? Would it be possible to just add leather to the interior bottom and then modify/utilize a leather insert from a planner that you can pick up at the office supply store?

Comment

Working...