Clear All
  • leehljp
    Just me
    • Dec 2002
    • Tunica, MS
    • BT3000/3100

It looks authentic to me! GREAT Job!
    Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• footprintsinconc
      Veteran Member
      • Nov 2006
      • Roseville (Sacramento), CA
      • BT3100

WOW! amazing and very beautiful. the oak look real nice. the pin detail is just superb!

Comment

• JR
        The Full Monte
        • Feb 2004
        • Eugene, OR
        • BT3000

What a cool project, John! Those pinned mortises are very interesting - and with 44 of them to cut I know you had your hands full.

Well done.

JR
        JR

Comment

• SARGE..g-47

Excellent outcome John, as the piece is very nice looking. You did an excellent job with the joinery and extremely well with mixing and matching those face grains on the drawer fronts.

I love oak and I love to cut joints so your choices for those are coming from the same frame of mind I use. BTW.. you mentioned having a can of shellac around and was going to use it then add a poly coat. If you add (and this is more for those not familiar with finishes) poly over shellac.... Be Sure to use De-Waxed Shellac as in Zinser Seal Coat or you have a problem waiting to happen.

Zinser's Seal Coat is de-waxed.. but the Zinser Clear and Amber is not. Don't ask me how I know that waxed shellac as a base coat for poly will create a night-mare.. let's just say I think I heard it through the grape-vine.

Regards...

Comment

• John Hunter
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2004
            • Lake Station, IN, USA.
            • BT3000 & BT3100

Originally posted by cabinetman
            Really clever project. Nicely done. Must have been very time consuming. Does this piece have a particular history? What will you use it for?
            Yes I spent a lot of time on it but being retired I enjoyed it. The 1/8"
            mortise's were the hardest. They are done by drilling two 1/8" holes and using a small hand chisle then removing the wood between them with a nail ground like a chisle.

No history, I found it while searching for free plans, here is a link to the site http://www.jeffgreefwoodworking.com/...tal/index.html as can be seen I made a few changes on the sides, I wanted more curvature to the look. I just found it interesting and had to give it a try.

It will be used as a jewelry chest.
            John Hunter

Comment

• John Hunter
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2004
              • Lake Station, IN, USA.
              • BT3000 & BT3100

Originally posted by Pappy
              44 mortise and tennon joints = 44 mortise pins. Have you had these masochistic tendencies for long?????

Beautiful piece, John!
              Thanks, this actually was my first project using mortise and tenon joinery. I recently picked up a mortise jig for my drill press and found cutting the 3/8" mortises with it very easy. It was the 1/8" hand cut ones that took the time. The pins also were a killer. Each is hand cut and shaped on a 1" belt sander. The dovetailed drawers were also very easy using the Incra Jig on the router table.
              John Hunter

Comment

• John Hunter
                Veteran Member
                • Dec 2004
                • Lake Station, IN, USA.
                • BT3000 & BT3100

Originally posted by SARGE..g-47
                Excellent outcome John, as the piece is very nice looking. You did an excellent job with the joinery and extremely well with mixing and matching those face grains on the drawer fronts.

I love oak and I love to cut joints so your choices for those are coming from the same frame of mind I use. BTW.. you mentioned having a can of shellac around and was going to use it then add a poly coat. If you add (and this is more for those not familiar with finishes) poly over shellac.... Be Sure to use De-Waxed Shellac as in Zinser Seal Coat or you have a problem waiting to happen.

Zinser's Seal Coat is de-waxed.. but the Zinser Clear and Amber is not. Don't ask me how I know that waxed shellac as a base coat for poly will create a night-mare.. let's just say I think I heard it through the grape-vine.

Regards...
                This was the Zinsser Bulls Eye Shellac, 100% wax-free. It states on the can that it is good for a sealer before poly but as I said the golden finish was so nice I just forgot all about needing any poly. I had picked it up at Lowe's when buying some other things. It was on sale and I thought it would come in handy so I picked it up to give it a try. I will be buying more I am very impressed with it.
                John Hunter

Comment

• Popeye
                  Veteran Member
                  • Mar 2003
                  • Woodbine, Ga
                  • Grizzly 1023SL

That's the slickest thing I've seen around here in quite awhile. Real spiffy work John. Pat
                  Woodworking is therapy.....some of us need more therapy than others. <ZERO>

Comment

• GPA61
                    • Sep 2004
                    • Rancho Cucamonga, CA
                    • BT 3100 & JET JWTS

Very nice.
                    Claudio

Comment

• big tim
                      • Mar 2006
                      • Scarborough, Toronto,Canada
                      • SawStop PCS

Absolutely beautiful, John. You must have the patience of Job.
                      Really different too and the shellac finish looks great.
                      Thumbs up on that one.

Tim
                      Sometimes my mind wanders. It's always come back though......sofar!

Comment

• gerti
                        Veteran Member
                        • Dec 2003
                        • Minnetonka, MN, USA.
                        • BT3100 "Frankensaw"

That is very nice. A lot of pieces to it! Must have taken many days, but the outcome sure is great. Thanks for sharing!

Comment

• Black wallnut
                          cycling to health
                          • Jan 2003
                          • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
                          • BT3k 1999

Quite impressive John. Ya did a fine job!
                          Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• Crash2510
                            • Feb 2006
                            • North Central Ohio

very neat design

looks great john
                            Phil In Ohio
                            The basement woodworker

Comment

Working...