• Show
Clear All
  • LarryG
    The Full Monte
    • May 2004
    • Off The Back
    • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

Originally posted by SARGE..g-47
    But.. you learn something new every day. I was not aware that those Amish read magazines, let alone used cup holders.
    ... and *I* didn't realize they had remotes for their wood-burning televisions.

Very nice work. I actually prefer the plain dowels to the turnings, as I think the piece has enough detail and interest already without piling on still more.
    Larry

Comment

• SARGE..g-47

And I agree with Larry about the dowels vs spindles. It might have been in an Amish store, but I doubt the original Amish would have bothered with the fancy spindles as everything about their life was more centered on simplicity and function.

Of course.. those original Amish ideals have probably changed somewhat as time has passed. My wife is from Pennsylvania and the next time we are up, I might explore that as it is an interesting question. At least to me is is.

Comment

• nickg
        Established Member
        • Jul 2007
        • Marietta, Georgia
        • Ryobi BT3000

Looks very nice! You did a great job of reproducing the piece from the original snapshot.

Nick

Comment

• Salty
          • Feb 2006
          • Akron, Ohio

Originally posted by SARGE..g-47
          you learn something new every day. I was not aware that those Amish read magazines, let alone used cup holders.
          Well, if they are anything, they are resourceful. I know of an Amish gent who makes a living out of making boat covers, and other covers. But I don't think he has a boat of his own. Most of them do not have a problem taking the englishman's money.

Nice work Lee.
          Why doesn't the word 'planing' show up in my computer spell check?

Comment

• JimD
            Veteran Member
            • Feb 2003
            • Lexington, SC.

Very nice. I need something like this. I am debating flat versus standing up storage for reading materials, however. I think I want to store them flat but this looks very nice.

Jim

Comment

Working...