• Show
Clear All
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

A Complete Wall

These cabinets almost didn't make it to the jobsite. I had them loaded on my flatbed trailer, and in traffic, the front tongue tube broke from the trailer, sending the trailer loose. Fortunately, it skidded to a stop and nothing fell off or got untied. I was stuck in a lane of traffic with my cordless drill to re-attach the tongue tube to get me there. Went through both batteries, and got outta there.

They say the customer is always right. They wanted a whole wall done with a lot of storage. I wasn't too excited about this much symmetry. They had a lot of CD's, DVD's, and video tapes that were set up in the drawers, and indexed. The lights were on a R/C dimmer. The unit is about 17' long in a whitewashed maple, with a clear WB poly topcoat.
  • Tamarack
    Established Member
    • Oct 2003
    • Speedwell, TN USA
    • BT3100

Very nicely done, even tho it saddens me to see how many people want to hide the beauty of the wood that way by painting/coloring it. How many separate pieces did it break down into for transport?

Paul

Comment

• lrogers
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2002
      • Mobile, AL. USA.
      • BT3000

Wow, that's a lot of storage! I think it looks great and has a good story to go with it!
      Larry R. Rogers
      The Samurai Wood Butcher
      http://splash54.multiply.com
      http://community.webshots.com/user/splash54

Comment

• ragswl4
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2007
        • Winchester, Ca
        • C-Man 22114

Very nice work and very lucky something bad didn't happen when you lost the trailer. You may have a return customer there when they decide to upgrade the TV.
        RAGS
        Raggy and Me in San Felipe
        sigpic

Comment

• cabinetman
          • Jun 2006
          • So. Florida
          • Delta

Originally posted by Tamarack
          How many separate pieces did it break down into for transport?

Paul

There were four complete sections, three loose toe kicks, and three crown moulding assemblies (crown is attached to a framework that gets mounted on top of the cabinets). The center cabinet consisted of the lower drawer box, and upper cabinet as separate pieces. The sides and TV pieces were loose.

Comment

• LCHIEN
            Internet Fact Checker
            • Dec 2002
            • Katy, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by ragswl4
            ...You may have a return customer there when they decide to upgrade the TV.
            exactly what I was thinking... what kind of a person spends that kind of bucks to get a cubby hole sized for a 4:3 TV... did you mention this to them at all C'man? Or maybe the picture and story are ten years old?
            Last edited by LCHIEN; 09-02-2007, 10:19 AM.
            Loring in Katy, TX USA
            If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
            BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• HarmsWay
              • Nov 2003
              • Victoria, BC
              • BT3000

Nice cabinets as usual, but you really need to get a better camera. The pics aren't up to the standard of your woodworking.

Bob

Comment

• LinuxRandal
                Veteran Member
                • Feb 2005
                • Independence, MO, USA.
                • bt3100

Originally posted by Tamarack
                Very nicely done, even tho it saddens me to see how many people want to hide the beauty of the wood that way by painting/coloring it. How many separate pieces did it break down into for transport?

Paul
                Think of it this way, the best reason for painted wood; MDF, Poplar, cheap plywood.

More good stainable wood out there.
                She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• cabinetman
                  • Jun 2006
                  • So. Florida
                  • Delta

Originally posted by LCHIEN
                  exactly what I was thinking... what kind of a person spends that kind of bucks to get a cubby hole sized for a 4:3 TV... did you mention this to them at all C'man? Or maybe the picture and story are ten years old?

About 10 yrs ago...good guess...not a digital camera. We did discuss upgrading. That set was brand new. The opening could be increased by 6" in width, and the height increased by whatever smaller center speaker is available now.

Comment

• footprintsinconc
                    Veteran Member
                    • Nov 2006
                    • Roseville (Sacramento), CA
                    • BT3100

real nice! wish i can get there some day, i dont know about that. it kind of saddens me too to see people paint wood, i think the natural look would have stood out, but then thats me.

Comment

• cabinetman
                      • Jun 2006
                      • So. Florida
                      • Delta

Originally posted by footprintsinconc
                      real nice! wish i can get there some day, i dont know about that. it kind of saddens me too to see people paint wood, i think the natural look would have stood out, but then thats me.

The unit isn't painted. It doesn't show in the picture, but the grain does show. It matches a large kitchen that is opposite that room. Since the choice for a finish is ultimately up to the user, suggestions can be offered. I've always kept a lot of samples and choices to pick from.

Comment

Working...