"Barter Bucks" project for the Dental Office.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Stan
    • Mar 2004
    • Kalispell, MT, USA.
    • BT3100, Delta 36-717

Delivered the cart to the office this morning, seemed to go over well -- lots of comments from the rooms as they rolled it back to it's new home.

I like working with Hickory Jerry, I really have not had any problems with the wood being brittle although I agree it is very hard. And dense too -- that little cart weights in at a good amount. Definitely ain't gonna roll very far if bumped.

Rags, the sprayer works very well with Lacquer. I use a $1200 Graco rig at work and it does have more adjustability -- but I don't see much of a difference in the finish once the gun that I have is adjusted properly. I use about a 70/30 thin using the Sherwood product.

The pictures really don't capture the finish and grain patterns as well as they look in real life -- need to quit taking pictures in my shop, the lighting in there is terrible for pictures.

Grant, be sure and post pictures of your carts/cabinets when you get them done, always looking for new ideas and changes to existing items.

Thanks,
    Stan
    From the NW corner of Montana.
    http://www.elksigndesigns.com

Comment

• phrog
      Veteran Member
      • Jul 2005
      • Chattanooga, TN, USA.

Where were you?

Where were you when I was practicing dentistry? I would have gladly bartered for that kind of workmanship. Hope your dental work looks half as nice.
      Richard
      Richard

Comment

• footprintsinconc
        Veteran Member
        • Nov 2006
        • Roseville (Sacramento), CA
        • BT3100

very beautiful! i like the dull finish look. truely awesome.

i love the grain. i may consider this for the bed that i have wanted to make for the last several years. i guess i can stain it to get a slightly darker shade.

you said that the finish was a 70/30 thinned mix. is that 70 lacquer and 30 mineral spirit or the otherway around? Also, do you seal the wood before your apply the finish or just applied the finish without a sealer?

thanks

Comment

• Stan
          • Mar 2004
          • Kalispell, MT, USA.
          • BT3100, Delta 36-717

Originally posted by phrog
          Where were you when I was practicing dentistry? I would have gladly bartered for that kind of workmanship. Hope your dental work looks half as nice.
          Richard
          Uhhh, sorry 'bout that... coulda/woulda/shoulda ya know.

Comment

• Stan
            • Mar 2004
            • Kalispell, MT, USA.
            • BT3100, Delta 36-717

Originally posted by footprintsinconc
            very beautiful! i like the dull finish look. truely awesome.

i love the grain. i may consider this for the bed that i have wanted to make for the last several years. i guess i can stain it to get a slightly darker shade.

you said that the finish was a 70/30 thinned mix. is that 70 lacquer and 30 mineral spirit or the otherway around? Also, do you seal the wood before your apply the finish or just applied the finish without a sealer?

thanks
            I'd suggest you spray some samples with lacquer before staining -- the grain is quite a bit darker than what those pictures show.

The mixture for the spray gun is 70% lacquer, 30% lacquer thinner. I did not seal the Hickory. When I spray Alder though, sealer is used.

Comment

• footprintsinconc
              Veteran Member
              • Nov 2006
              • BT3100

thanks for the info. i was thinking of using alder for the bed because i love the grain that shows up once you use clear finish. however, it is way to soft, just a bump leaves a dent. at the store, hickery looked too white, so i just cut it off the list of woods considered. now looking at your post, i like the grain look, especially if you say it comes out even more. i will buy some and try it out.

thanks for the answers.

Comment

• Stan
                • Mar 2004
                • Kalispell, MT, USA.
                • BT3100, Delta 36-717

thanks for the info. i was thinking of using alder for the bed because i love the grain that shows up once you use clear finish. however, it is way to soft, just a bump leaves a dent. at the store, hickery looked too white, so i just cut it off the list of woods considered. now looking at your post, i like the grain look, especially if you say it comes out even more. i will buy some and try it out.

thanks for the answers.
                Hopefully you have a good source for hardwoods, you probably won't find much in the way of Hickory with a lot of figure in Lowe's and HD. As you can see in the picture below, Hickory will run from very 'blonde' to having a lot of figure. The right stile on the right hand door is real white.

You might ask to look at Pecan also if they will let you look through the lumber. Don't be surprised if you get a strange look though -- Pecan is often sold as Hickory, very similar properties.

Last edited by Stan; 11-10-2007, 02:24 PM.

Comment

• John Hunter
                  Veteran Member
                  • Dec 2004
                  • Lake Station, IN, USA.
                  • BT3000 & BT3100

Very nice and what a great idea!
                  John Hunter

Comment

• Scottydont
                    Veteran Member
                    • Aug 2003
                    • Edmonds, WA, USA.
                    • Delta Industrial Hybrid

Beautifully done. Nice design too!
                    Scott
                    "The Laminate Flooring Benchtop Guy"

Edmonds WA

No coffee, no worky!

Comment

• footprintsinconc
                      Veteran Member
                      • Nov 2006
                      • BT3100

thanks for the headsup, i will look into both of hickory and pecan. your cabinets look really beautiful!

not to high jack this thread, but i have another question if you dont mind. i am guessing that the stiles and rails only have a 1/4" deep dado for them to join the doors. the square (wallnut i believe?) is only for looks, right? and how did you do the square inlay? did you setup a jig or what? any pictures of the setup. i like that detail a lot, might want to try it out myslef. i dont have mortiser machine if that is what is required ... thanks once again for the details. i really appreciate it.

Comment

• Stan
                        • Mar 2004
                        • Kalispell, MT, USA.
                        • BT3100, Delta 36-717

thanks for the headsup, i will look into both of hickory and pecan. your cabinets look really beautiful!

not to high jack this thread, but i have another question if you dont mind. i am guessing that the stiles and rails only have a 1/4" deep dado for them to join the doors. the square (wallnut i believe?) is only for looks, right? and how did you do the square inlay? did you setup a jig or what? any pictures of the setup. i like that detail a lot, might want to try it out myslef. i dont have mortiser machine if that is what is required ... thanks once again for the details. i really appreciate it.
                        You are correct on the 1/4" grooves for the panels to fit into, and the faux pegs are indeed Black Walnut (and only for looks).

I tried using a chisel to chop out the first few after drilling the appropriate size hole with a forstner bit (using the chisel to square up the corners). It works -- but took a lot of time. Then I bought a mortise chisel set and used a hammer with a mortise chisel, that sped things up a bit but kind of mangled the mortise bit. Sooo.... I ended up buying a mortiser which made the whole process neater and a whole lot faster.

It may be possible to just drill the round hole with a forstner bit, then round off the corners of your pegs and try driving them into the round hole (in disregard of your kindergarden teachers advise that you cannot drive square pegs into round holes... ) I'd try it on a sample or two to make sure it doesn't split the stiles first.

Really depends on how long you want to spend on each door creating the square holes, plenty of methods and varying costs.... Hope that helps somewhat.

Comment

Working...