X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Donna Menke
    Forum Newbie
    • Jun 2007
    • Near Austin, Texas
    • Jet Contractors saw with X-Acta fence, cast iron wings and side table extension. Forrest WW2 blade

Thanks Ken-
    You do a great job here. I tried to look at your personal homepage but got this error message: This Virtual Directory does not allow contents to be listed.Youse guys- always looking for the most challenging project! You can show him up by making a Butterfly Box. Heck, I'm not positive that I could make another one of those-lol.
    Well, this morning I get to take the clamps off my first pair of laminations in walnut for the harp I'm building. Two more to go and I can start cutting the pieces out. Then I can take a photo for my new blog. Keeping a blog helps me to keep on track with projects, and people seem to enjoy looking at them.
    Then I'm going to glue the next pair, replace the bike tube that blew out and then go for a 22 mile bike ride- who wants to come with me?
    Ken, is it against the rules for me to put a link to my web site in my signature here? I read the rules, but I'm still not sure if it is allowed. My blogs all link off the web site.
    Thanks, Donna
    Donna Menke
    www.woodworks-by-donna.com
    Author: The Ultimate Band Saw Box Book
    Safety is no accident.

Comment

• Ken Massingale
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2002
      • Liberty, SC, USA.
      • Ridgid TS3650

Thanks for the reply, Donna. Gee, I'm just a lowly member. PM Sam Condor, he's the chief bottlewasher.
      Yes, my site is down right now. I'm in the middle of changing host and the old one is as inept as releasing the site as they were in hosting it. Please post some pics of the harp, in process if you don't mind. That's got to be a challenge.

Comment

• lrogers
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2002
        • Mobile, AL. USA.
        • BT3000

Excellent as always, Pat.
        Larry R. Rogers
        The Samurai Wood Butcher
        http://splash54.multiply.com
        http://community.webshots.com/user/splash54

Comment

• Donna Menke
          Forum Newbie
          • Jun 2007
          • Near Austin, Texas
          • Jet Contractors saw with X-Acta fence, cast iron wings and side table extension. Forrest WW2 blade

Originally posted by Ken Massingale
          Thanks for the reply, Donna. Gee, I'm just a lowly member. PM Sam Condor, he's the chief bottlewasher.
          Yes, my site is down right now. I'm in the middle of changing host and the old one is as inept as releasing the site as they were in hosting it. Please post some pics of the harp, in process if you don't mind. That's got to be a challenge.
          Ken-I'd like to know when your site is back up.
          PM Sam Condor- so is it OK to put a link to a web site in a signature?
          By later today I will add another pic to my harp blog. This will show my not-ready-for-prime-time lamination set-up. Lots of clamps. Donna Menke
          Donna Menke
          Safety is no accident.

Comment

• tlt
            Established Member
            • Jan 2006
            • Tucson, Arizona.
            • Delta 36-682

great lookin' box popeye...

i bought the UBSB a couple of weeks ago from overstock with an eye towards making the box on the cover, but am new to this and am slowly working up to it...i started with the "scroll box" and had fun with it.

--tlt

Comment

• Donna Menke
              Forum Newbie
              • Jun 2007
              • Near Austin, Texas

Starting with the Scroll Box was a daring first venture. I started with the Earth Boxes (nested ovals) and worked my way up to the Yin Yang Boxes.
              So how is your Scroll Box coming out?
              What wood are you using?
              Have you run into any problems?
              You are the first person I know of who did that box. I would love to have a photo of it when you are done- and I can post it to the book's forum.
              What is "overstock"? Good source for books?
              Donna Menke
              Donna Menke
              Safety is no accident.

Comment

• tlt
                Established Member
                • Jan 2006
                • Tucson, Arizona.
                • Delta 36-682

Originally posted by Donna Menke
                So how is your Scroll Box coming out?
                What wood are you using?
                Have you run into any problems?
                You are the first person I know of who did that box. I would love to have a photo of it when you are done- and I can post it to the book's forum.
                I am just about done with the box -- have to put one more coat of tung oil on it and then wax it. You're more than welcome to a picture. It's made out of walnut -- first time working with walnut, and it's quickly become my favorite wood. I ran into one hiccup while making the box...after cutting the middle out, I sanded the tiny bottom piece, without marking which way was up. So it took a little fussing to get the piece back in the right place to glue it up.
                What is "overstock"? Good source for books?
                Overstock.com is a pretty good source for books -- sometimes they run $1 shipping deals that makes them a little cheaper than amazon.

I've got to echo what the others have said -- your book is great. Living in the desert, these boxes make nice little projects to work on before the shop heats up to 200 degrees.

Comment

• Donna Menke
                  Forum Newbie
                  • Jun 2007
                  • Near Austin, Texas

Oh yeah- I fiddle with those problems all the time. In spite of warnings in my own book to make registration marks again and again I forgot and had to figure out whether a piece belonged this way or that. I like consistent grain in these boxes, but unless you are very careful you will get confused. You are not alone.
                  There are dozens of places that offer the book at a discount- I hate them all-lol. Even before we had finished editing they had the book on pre-order, and discounted. Oh well, I give a couple of the extra projects to anyone who orders the book from me, charge only actual postage, and it is dedicated to them and autographed- so they are not complaining.
                  I'm glad you like the book and I'm looking forward to seeing your version of the Scroll Box. If you put it here then we can all see it. Thanks, Donna
                  Donna Menke
                  Safety is no accident.

Comment

• Ken Massingale
                    Veteran Member
                    • Dec 2002
                    • Liberty, SC, USA.
                    • Ridgid TS3650

Oh yeah- I fiddle with those problems all the time. In spite of warnings in my own book to make registration marks again and again I forgot and had to figure out whether a piece belonged this way or that. I like consistent grain in these boxes, but unless you are very careful you will get confused. You are not alone.
                    There are dozens of places that offer the book at a discount- I hate them all-lol. Even before we had finished editing they had the book on pre-order, and discounted. Oh well, I give a couple of the extra projects to anyone who orders the book from me, charge only actual postage, and it is dedicated to them and autographed- so they are not complaining.
                    I'm glad you like the book and I'm looking forward to seeing your version of the Scroll Box. If you put it here then we can all see it. Thanks, Donna
                    Donna,
                    Since none of the moderators have answered your question about a link in your signature, I suggest doing it and be done with it. If they object you'll know, but I don't see why there should be a problem.

Comment

• Donna Menke
                      Forum Newbie
                      • Jun 2007
                      • Near Austin, Texas

Ken-
                      Did it- and it changed all my previous posts too- didn't know it would do that. You are right, it is easier to beg forgiveness than it is to get permission. I was reprimanded for this sort of thing once and my fingers are still burning.
                      I like your signature- I resemble that remark.
                      One more thing- I'd like to put a photo for my avatar but I cannot see how to put anything but the flags. Any help appreciated. . .
                      Donna Menke
                      Safety is no accident.

Comment

• Ken Massingale
                        Veteran Member
                        • Dec 2002
                        • Liberty, SC, USA.
                        • Ridgid TS3650

Ken-
                        Did it- and it changed all my previous posts too- didn't know it would do that. You are right, it is easier to beg forgiveness than it is to get permission. I was reprimanded for this sort of thing once and my fingers are still burning.
                        I like your signature- I resemble that remark.
                        One more thing- I'd like to put a photo for my avatar but I cannot see how to put anything but the flags. Any help appreciated. . .
                        Well now, that one will cost you!
                        Actually it will. Contributing 'Patrons' can use a custom image for the avatar. http://www.bt3central.com/payments.php
                        And, I 'think' Sam has to flip a switch also.

Comment

• Donna Menke
                          Forum Newbie
                          • Jun 2007
                          • Near Austin, Texas

OK- now I understand how it works. Geesh, I would think that the Rikon people would be the supporters here. Guess I'll have to live without an Avatar then. With 27 groups and forums I'd go broke in no time at all. My profile has my photo, and a photo of the book cover is on my web site (I'm there again too) so I'm covered anyhow.
                          So anyhow- back to the subject at hand. . .tlt have you finished your box yet- I'm most anxious to see it!
                          Donna Menke
                          Safety is no accident.

Comment

Working...