X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • siliconbauhaus
    • Dec 2006
    • hagerstown, md

very nice work mate....might have to build one myself as soon as I finish the sandbox.
    パトリック
    daiku woodworking
    ^deshi^
    neoshed

Comment

• docrowan
      • Mar 2007
      • New Albany, MS
      • BT3100

Originally posted by radhak
      Would sure be happy to learn of any other way to cut this straight.
      +1 on what Gil (gaj1967) said. I recently had three similar cuts on a 12' 2X4. I used an edge guide and my circular saw to make most of the straight cut. I wanted my corner cuts to be rounded. I used a jig saw to make the curve which didn't turn out as well as I wanted, but, hey, it's a workbench. To make a square cut on 3/4" plywood the jig saw should do fine to finish it out.
      - Chris.

Comment

• John Hunter
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2004
        • Lake Station, IN, USA.
        • BT3000 & BT3100

Very nice.
        John Hunter

Comment

• big tim
          • Mar 2006
          • Scarborough, Toronto,Canada
          • SawStop PCS

Very nice and as mentioned before, love the colour scheme !

Tim
          Sometimes my mind wanders. It's always come back though......sofar!

Comment

• Ed62
            The Full Monte
            • Oct 2006
            • NW Indiana
            • BT3K

Nice job! One great thing about it is the ability to break it down for storage. Looks like the kids will have a good place for a picnic.

Ed
            Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• LCHIEN
              Internet Fact Checker
              • Dec 2002
              • Katy, TX, USA.
              • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by radhak
              I agree, the plan is a bit cryptic.

The one place I had difficulty was in cutting the seat supports in a straight line. It is shaped like an extended 'u' (see pic), where the portions that are not cut at the ends serve as notches to hold the seats. (Check the green supports below the yellow seats in my original pics).

I have become very dependent on my TS for straight cuts (and sometimes the CS), but this was not a thru cut, so was limited in my options.

I used a jigsaw, and of course as can be expected, did not do a good job with the straight line; needed because the seat wholly sits on this portion and any unevenness makes it wobble.

I thought briefly of using the router table to trim the rough cut with the help of a straighline edge of some sorts, but was not set up to do so (read - messy work area), and got too lazy. Instead I sanded it to as close as possible. Frankly, I am not happy and would recommend not to cut corners. (And I need to clean up...).

Would sure be happy to learn of any other way to cut this straight.
              The way I did a couple of those recently is to
              drill some big forstner sized holes ~1" to 2" in the inside corners so the holes were tangential to the two inside sides.
              Then slip it into the bandsaw with the long side resting aainst the fence and a 1/4" blade nestled into the hole side agianst the long inside straight.
              run the bandsaw cutting the inside straight until you get to the center of the other hole.

Use the bandsaw to clean up/square out the two radii corners.

if the notch depth is wider than the hole, you can use the bandsaw to cut to the center of the hole than do as i laid out.
              Loring in Katy, TX USA
              If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
              BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Cody.h
                Established Member
                • Aug 2004
                • Lubbock, Texas, USA.
                • BT3100

Thats a cool project....I never woulda thought of 3 colors...I bet the kids must love it!!!
                The truth is just the truth.

Comment

Working...