Clear All
  • jerrye
    Forum Newbie
    • Dec 2004
    • Raleigh, NC, USA.
    • BT3000

Originally posted by Black wallnut
    Thanks!
    Grip cap and butplate were 24 lpi, grip panels are 22 lpi.
    FINE!! And FINE!! work.
    Jerry

When you think you've built it idiot-proof, they build a better idiot...

Comment

• boblon
      • Aug 2003
      • Florida, USA.

That looks great.

There is no way I would attempt that. I get nervous cutting hinge mortises, let alone attacking an expensive, hard to replace fine piece of work like that.

My hats off to you.

BobL.
      "Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from poor judgement."

Comment

• Black wallnut
        cycling to health
        • Jan 2003
        • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
        • BT3k 1999

Originally posted by boblon
        That looks great.

There is no way I would attempt that. I get nervous cutting hinge mortises, let alone attacking an expensive, hard to replace fine piece of work like that.

My hats off to you.

BobL.
        Thanks for all the kind words! It usually takes me at least 3 months to get up the courage to start on a stock of this quality of wood. This time I received the stock last Labor Day weekend and started the grip cap and butt plate soon there after. I started one grip panel just before Thanksgiving and finally compleated the other New Years Day. There are those that do lots more checkering than I and as such are much faster. I do not think I could ever do this as a living.
        Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• drkg
          Forum Newbie
          • Nov 2006
          • Rockingham County, NC

BW - That is very nice work indeed. Gunsmithing has been my mortgage-paying trade for the last seven years (nearly my whole adult/professional life) and checkering is not one of my strong points - but I know good checkering when I see it. You mentioned the stress of checkering a nice piece of wood, and that's something I have never overcome. When I was a kid, and gunsmithing was just a hobby, I LOVED checkering stocks and grips I made, but the very day I took it on as a career I lost my nerve for checkering (on wood that belongs to someone else) and now outsource that aspect of a project to someone who can do it better and faster than myself.

For everyone else, interested in learning to checker portions of their projects I recommend taking a deep breath and setting down for some practice. Start by marking knife handles or something else made from smal sections of inexpensive stock that you will not regret ruining your first few (dozen) attempts at, in some cases one misguided stroke will ruin the project. When I was apprenticing my mentor told me:

"A good gunsmith is not one who doesn't make mistakes, but rather one who can fix his own mistakes."

He later added:

"...except checkerers. Good checkerers don't make mistakes.....and can generally drink you and I under the table!!"

Comment

• Wood_workur
            Veteran Member
            • Aug 2005
            • Ohio
            • Ryobi bt3100-1

looks great.
            Alex

Comment

• Turaj
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2002
              • Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
              • BT3000 (1998)

Beautiful work Mark! Like others have said you have LOTS of patience!!! but the outcome is just great!
              Turaj (in Toronto)
              "When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading!" Henny Youngman

Comment

• ScottGolden
                Established Member
                • May 2006

I knew I was beyond my skill level when I looked at the tools in your link and thought yeah so how did those tools make that checkering.

Bless you but that came out fantastic.

Scott

Comment

• Black wallnut
                  cycling to health
                  • Jan 2003
                  • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
                  • BT3k 1999

Originally posted by ScottGolden
                  I knew I was beyond my skill level when I looked at the tools in your link and thought yeah so how did those tools make that checkering.

Bless you but that came out fantastic.

Scott
                  Believe it or not one line at a time!
                  Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

Working...