Knife block

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • onedash
    Veteran Member
    • Mar 2005
    • 1013
    • Maryland
    • Craftsman 22124

    #1

    Knife block

    Im on a roll...Made this in less than 2 days...I just wiped some oil/wax stuff on it since I wanted to get my knives right in it....My only mistake was not making it long enough for mu slicing knife. I was thinking about putting a piece on the back but decided against it. Now I can make another one. It was made with from my cut off pile. I ruined a few pieces testing out some theories. But I got to use a bunch of tools for this little project. I resawed some wood which I thought I did pretty good at and also used the bandsaw to cut the angled face. the Router and router table to cut the knife grooves for the big ones and the table saw for the steak knife slots. I also used super glue to connect the pieces. Not the best idea I dont think. But I put the pieces on the side with gorilla glue and it got into the slots a little. I put the steak knife block on after the big block was dried and sanded.
    Attached Files
    YOU DONT HAVE TO TRAIN TO BE MISERABLE. YOU HAVE TO TRAIN TO ENDURE MISERY.
  • onedash
    Veteran Member
    • Mar 2005
    • 1013
    • Maryland
    • Craftsman 22124

    #2
    Here it is with knives. The steak knives turned out to be pretty close. If they were any closer I would have had to start over....
    Attached Files
    YOU DONT HAVE TO TRAIN TO BE MISERABLE. YOU HAVE TO TRAIN TO ENDURE MISERY.

    Comment

    • Mrs. Wallnut
      Bandsaw Box Momma
      • Apr 2005
      • 1566
      • Ellensburg, Washington, USA.

      #3
      Looks good. I like the way things are situated in there.
      Mrs. Wallnut a.k.a (the head nut).

      Comment

      • JSCOOK
        Senior Member
        • Sep 2006
        • 774
        • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
        • Ryobi BT3100-1

        #4
        Very nice ... first that I've seen that will actually hold a full set of knives ... geez, if the LOML see this she's gonna want to replace the one that came with our set ...

        Did you finish/seal the knife slots themselves?
        "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn". by C.S. Lewis

        Comment

        • SHADOWFOX
          Veteran Member
          • May 2005
          • 1232
          • IL, USA.
          • DELTA 36-675

          #5
          Nicely done!! It looks very nice.
          Chris

          "The first key to wisdom is constant and frequent questioning, for by doubting we are led to question and by questioning we arrive at the truth." -Pierre Abelard 11th Century philosopher.

          Comment

          • Tom Slick
            Veteran Member
            • May 2005
            • 2913
            • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
            • sears BT3 clone

            #6
            It looks great. I'm glad to see you situated the knives correctly, sideways slots. alot of blocks situate them vertically and so you are dulling your knive every time you take it in and out.
            Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

            Comment

            • bigstick509
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2004
              • 1227
              • Macomb, MI, USA.
              • BT3100

              #7
              Vnw


              Mike

              "It's not the things you don't know that will hurt you, it's the things you think you know that ain't so." - Mark Twain

              Comment

              • Slik Geek
                Senior Member
                • Dec 2006
                • 708
                • Lake County, Illinois
                • Ryobi BT-3000

                #8
                Nice work! I like the smooth lines / corners.

                There should be some type of warning code in posts like this so that I can tell it isn't one to pull up while LOML is looking over my shoulder. The "honey-do" list is long enough at the moment, I don't need to have any more added to it!

                (It didn't help that you mentioned it only took you a couple days to do it... statements like that get me into even more trouble!)

                Comment

                • onedash
                  Veteran Member
                  • Mar 2005
                  • 1013
                  • Maryland
                  • Craftsman 22124

                  #9
                  Originally posted by Slik Geek
                  Nice work! I like the smooth lines / corners.

                  There should be some type of warning code in posts like this so that I can tell it isn't one to pull up while LOML is looking over my shoulder. The "honey-do" list is long enough at the moment, I don't need to have any more added to it!

                  (It didn't help that you mentioned it only took you a couple days to do it... statements like that get me into even more trouble!)
                  My wife asked me if Im addicted to this website... I figure if im not making something I should be planning something or getting idea's. We went to a furniture store to look around today. We were probably going to buy another curio but we wanted a matching one and they didnt have it anymore which is probably a good thing. So maybe I will make something so we can thin out the one we got now. We went to woodcraft today but they were closed. We are going to check out some other wood since they havent had lyptus in a while. I am trying to talk her into bubinga but she quoted the price. More than twice as much a BF than lyptus. I told her I could make the top with a thin veneer on plywood...Dont think that helped any though....
                  YOU DONT HAVE TO TRAIN TO BE MISERABLE. YOU HAVE TO TRAIN TO ENDURE MISERY.

                  Comment

                  • Pappy
                    The Full Monte
                    • Dec 2002
                    • 10490
                    • San Marcos, TX, USA.
                    • BT3000 (x2)

                    #10
                    Slick knife block. I like the grain on the front of the steak knife holder!
                    Don, aka Pappy,

                    Wise men talk because they have something to say,
                    Fools because they have to say something.
                    Plato

                    Comment

                    • onedash
                      Veteran Member
                      • Mar 2005
                      • 1013
                      • Maryland
                      • Craftsman 22124

                      #11
                      Originally posted by JSCOOK

                      Did you finish/seal the knife slots themselves?
                      No... As long as the knives get put in clean I should be ok. I hope...
                      The finish I used is like heavy duty pledge. Its a couple waxes and some orange smell. Used to use it on an unfinished coffee table....I figure I can just rub some on every few months.

                      initially I was going to have it flipped the other way so it would be tilted. Figured this was easier though...especially with the steak knives attached.

                      I almost glued the pieces together with gorilla glue then it dawned on me that the slots would fill with glue. Thats why I tried super glue....guess I should have used yellow glue.
                      YOU DONT HAVE TO TRAIN TO BE MISERABLE. YOU HAVE TO TRAIN TO ENDURE MISERY.

                      Comment

                      • GeekMom
                        Senior Member
                        • Dec 2004
                        • 752
                        • Bonney Lake, WA.
                        • Shopsmith Mark V

                        #12
                        Nice job! The woodgrain is sure pretty!
                        Karen
                        <><

                        Comment

                        • John Hunter
                          Veteran Member
                          • Dec 2004
                          • 2034
                          • Lake Station, IN, USA.
                          • BT3000 & BT3100

                          #13
                          Very nice.
                          John Hunter

                          Comment

                          • jackellis
                            Veteran Member
                            • Nov 2003
                            • 2638
                            • Tahoe City, CA, USA.
                            • BT3100

                            #14
                            Nice job. We need one for our vacation home.

                            Comment

                            • mater
                              Veteran Member
                              • Jan 2004
                              • 4197
                              • SC, USA.

                              #15
                              It looks great. Very nice work.
                              Ken aka "mater"

                              " People may doubt what you say but they will never doubt what you do "

                              Ken's Den

                              Comment

                              Working...