The Fruitcake Box

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Stytooner
    Roll Tide RIP Lee
    • Dec 2002
    • 4301
    • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
    • BT3100

    #16
    That box looks more edible than it's contents.

    Good job on that. Is this still the SAME brick of fruit cake?
    Lee

    Comment

    • crokett
      The Full Monte
      • Jan 2003
      • 10627
      • Mebane, NC, USA.
      • Ryobi BT3000

      #17
      Originally posted by Knuckles
      I like fruitcake after marinating it in brandy.

      Funny thing, I like fruitcake after marinating me in brandy.

      Great job Thom. That box is way too pretty to waste on a fruitcake.
      David

      The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

      Comment

      • Thom2
        Resident BT3Central Research Ass.
        • Jan 2003
        • 1786
        • Stevens, PA, USA.
        • Craftsman 22124

        #18
        Originally posted by ssmith1627
        Does all box elder wood look like this ? I've been very curious about this wood because we have 7 of these large trees in the yard and some of them really need to come down. Not to mention the particular bug they attract by the hundreds.

        I don't know a whole lot about it, but it's my understanding that this wood is quite rare. The coloring is actually created by a fungus that attacks the tree. In the little bit of looking around that I've done, I have yet to find this stuff for sale in anything other than pen blanks.

        The trees in your yard could very well have this coloring, if they have to come down anyway, it'd probably be worth a look. I understand that these trees are kinda closely related to Maple, and aside from the color, some of the figure I've seen in these pieces is also pretty spectacular.


        THANKS EVERYONE, I'm especially pleased with the way this project turned out, I really feel good about it and I think this thing just looks spectacular, especially after wet sanding with 400, 8 more coats of lacquer, rubbed out with steel wool and swirl polish remover ..... this thing is P-U-R-D-Y

        now I'm just not sure that I really want to give it away ........
        Last edited by Thom2; 12-20-2006, 08:29 PM.
        If it ain't broke.. don't fix it!!!... but you can always 'hop it up'
        **one and only purchaser of a BT3C official thong**

        Comment

        • Stytooner
          Roll Tide RIP Lee
          • Dec 2002
          • 4301
          • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
          • BT3100

          #19
          Keep the box. Put a ribbon around the brick and give it back.
          Lee

          Comment

          • boblon
            Senior Member
            • Aug 2003
            • 727
            • Florida, USA.

            #20
            Perfect and imaginative solution to your quest.

            And a great looking box.

            This sure will up the ante for next year. That fruitcake may be around (and around, and around) for a while

            BobL.
            "Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from poor judgement."

            Comment

            • cobob
              Established Member
              • Jan 2004
              • 252
              • Rolla, MO, USA.
              • BT3100

              #21
              There is a theory amongst biblical scholars that there was a fourth wiseman, forgotten in time, who had brought a fruitcake as his offering ... & it's been passed around ever since ..regifted if you will..similar to the loaves & fishes.
              If the wiseman had put that fruitcake into as nice a box as this, he would have been immortalized in psalm & song.

              Comment

              • stav
                Forum Newbie
                • Jun 2005
                • 42
                • Orlando, FL, USA.

                #22
                Wow, who knew you could make such a nice looking box out of fruit cake!

                I think I'll go to the local grocery, buy a few cakes and try resawing them on the band saw. Did you need a special blade for that?

                Comment

                • DonHo
                  Veteran Member
                  • Mar 2004
                  • 1098
                  • Shawnee, OK, USA.
                  • Craftsman 21829

                  #23
                  The design and your work are great and the wood is even better. If you'll post your address, I'll send you a fruitcake
                  DonHo
                  Don

                  Comment

                  • Black wallnut
                    cycling to health
                    • Jan 2003
                    • 5513
                    • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
                    • BT3k 1999

                    #24
                    Thom, you sure are making me look like the slacker with all these finished projects! Looks nice BTW.
                    Donate to my Tour de Cure


                    marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

                    Head servant of the forum

                    ©

                    Comment

                    • Jeffrey Schronce
                      Veteran Member
                      • Nov 2005
                      • 3822
                      • York, PA, USA.
                      • 22124

                      #25
                      That's pretty cool. I remember seeing it when I came by your shop a while back, along with copies of the articles and plan from Wood Magazine posted on the wall in 3' x 5' posters. Turned out real nice.

                      Comment

                      • wareagle
                        Forum Newbie
                        • Mar 2006
                        • 66

                        #26
                        Great job and great idea.

                        Comment

                        • cabinetman
                          Gone but not Forgotten RIP
                          • Jun 2006
                          • 15216
                          • So. Florida
                          • Delta

                          #27
                          Ingenious box. It's the only way to give fruitcake. Nicely done, I would put chisels in it instead. Not to take away from the fine craftsmanship, but I couldn't resist this cartoon.



                          A THING OF BEAUTY IS A JOY FOREVER - John Keats
                          Attached Files

                          Comment

                          • Wood_workur
                            Veteran Member
                            • Aug 2005
                            • 1914
                            • Ohio
                            • Ryobi bt3100-1

                            #28
                            all that for a fruit cake? he is gonna thank you for that box.
                            Alex

                            Comment

                            • ChrisD
                              Senior Member
                              • Dec 2004
                              • 881
                              • CHICAGO, IL, USA.

                              #29
                              I think this is only the second time that I have seen box elder. The first was in FWW a couple of years ago. The example used in the article does not hold a candle to this fruitcake box, though. Nice work.
                              The war against inferior and overpriced furniture continues!

                              Chris

                              Comment

                              Working...