• Show
Clear All
  • Wood_workur
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2005
    • Ohio
    • Ryobi bt3100-1

very nice. I wish mine looks like that.

One problem I do see is the lack of a door infront of the router, because all the air flow will just suck air out from in front of the table, not from right above the router.
    Alex

Comment

• JSUPreston
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2005
      • Montgomery, AL.
      • Delta 36-979 w/Biesemyere fence kit making it a 36-982. Previous saw was BT3100-1.

I'll be glad to swap you a Bosch/Craftman table, slightly used for it.

Seriously, looks great. I bet that tall fence is a plus. If you could take a few minutes and draw up some rough dimensions, I bet everyone would appreciate it.
      "It's a dog eat dog world out there, and I'm wearing Milk-Bone underwear."- Norm (from Cheers)

Eat beef-because the west wasn't won on salad.

Comment

• Ken Massingale
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2002
        • Liberty, SC, USA.
        • Ridgid TS3650

That's a fine piece of Craftsmanship, Lee. Be proud of what you did.
        ken

Comment

• venkatbo
          Established Member
          • Jan 2006
          • Cupertino, CA, USA.

Nice design and construction.

Originally posted by JSUPreston
          ... If you could take a few minutes and draw up some rough dimensions, I bet everyone would appreciate it.
          Second that

/venkat

Comment

• gad5264
            Veteran Member
            • Aug 2005
            • Columbus, Ohio, USA
            • BT3000/BT3100NIB

Very nice LCM, I can see many people copying this one.
            Grant
            "GO Buckeyes"

My projects: http://community.webshots.com/user/gad5264

Comment

• lcm1947
              Veteran Member
              • Sep 2004
              • Austin, Texas
              • BT 3100-1

As far as the plans go guys I'll do better than that I will name where you can get the real plans. The router fence was in "Popular Woodworking" in the April 2005 issue and the router table came from a book by " American Woodworker " called Woodworking with the Router by Bill Hylton and Fred Matlack. If you don't have the book you really should get it. Really good and so helpful to the beginner. As far as it having no door that is done on purpose. According to the book above anyway. I'm no engineer so haven't a clue on the subject just going by the book but to me it makes sense that you need an air flow coming into the router to keep it cool. In my limited experience running it it seems to work fairly well although there was more sawdust to the left of the table then what I wanted but that could have been due to the fact that so far I've only done a couple of dado's and the groove of the dado seems to funnel the dust that way. Actually the top hose worked very well by the way. No saw dust on the top of the table at all. I'll have to try another kind of cut thought to see if it was just due to the dado that the dust shot out that way. If I need to I can always add a door though so that would be no problem. Turai I made the top 30x 26". Please don't ask me why. Just seemed like a good size due to space but yet big enough to do some serious routing. Yeah, Jeff there is an edge guide on that sled and you've got good eyes noticing you can't see the hose port. That idea I got from this very forum some several several months ago. Can't remember who but the story goes one of the big TV woodworking shows incorporated the idea into his table for reasons way over my head but made sense so I copied it. It's a board that sits between the hose port and the router but is about 3 inches short from touching the bottom beneath the router. It creates the air draw down low at the bottom of the router where the sawdust falls. It does this real well by causing a tunnel type action that actually increases the air pull. It also being that low eliminates that flow from competing with the routers natural up ward blowing action. Boy I hope that's clear. Anyway good eyes Jeff. Well I think that answered everybody's questions or at least I hope so. I tried anyway. Again thanks guys I really appreciate the attention and compliments.
              May you die and go to heaven before the Devil knows you're dead. My Best, Mac

Comment

• Turaj
                Veteran Member
                • Dec 2002
                • Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
                • BT3000 (1998)

Originally posted by lcm1947
                I made the top 30x 26". Please don't ask me why. Just seemed like a good size due to space but yet big enough to do some serious routing.
                Thanks for the info! Your reasoning sounds good to me!!
                Turaj (in Toronto)
                "When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading!" Henny Youngman

Comment

• John Hunter
                  Veteran Member
                  • Dec 2004
                  • Lake Station, IN, USA.
                  • BT3000 & BT3100

Very nice.
                  John Hunter

Comment

• charliex
                    • Mar 2004
                    • Spring Valley, MN, USA.
                    • Sears equivelent BT3100-1

Good job Mac. You'll get lotsa use from that one.

Comment

• Knottscott
                      Veteran Member
                      • Dec 2004
                      • Rochester, NY.
                      • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

Worth the wait....great job!
                      Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• tribalwind
                        • Feb 2004
                        • long island, ny.

sweetness~
                        that's a gorgeous router table sculpture you've got there. i relaly like the duct collection/air flow design considerations that you built into it...
                        namaste, matthew http://www.tribalwind.com

Comment

• meika123
                          • Dec 2002
                          • Advance, NC, USA.
                          • BT3000

Originally posted by lcm1947
                          Oh and if you are still out there davidtu another mistake I just remembered was; I had planned on using T-track for the fence to slid on instead of those clamps you see but due to the screw problem in putting the two part table tops parts together I couldn't install that T-track either.
                          From what I see, you "Should" be proud. Looks great.
                          As to your T-track problem, you could consider what Norm did. He cut slots front to rear that the fence rides in. He attached T-bolts in the rear of the fence in the slots, with the T underneath the table top, and a knob at the top to secure it in place. I made mine the same way.
                          JAT

Dave in NC
                          Stress is when you wake up screaming and then you realize you haven't fallen asleep yet.

Comment

• lcm1947
                            Veteran Member
                            • Sep 2004
                            • Austin, Texas
                            • BT 3100-1

Thanks again guys. Dave in NC I appreciate the effort to help but that's the problem. Due to the nails holding the two table top halves together I can't cut into it making the dabo's for fear of hitting a nail with the router bit. I'd love to come up with an ideal but afraid I'll have to live with the clamps. At least until router table #2 is built. But thanks never-the- less Dave.
                            May you die and go to heaven before the Devil knows you're dead. My Best, Mac

Comment

Working...