• Show
Clear All
  • 9johnny5
    Established Member
    • Mar 2005
    • Orange Park, FL
    • BT3100

wow

Those are awesome, Ken. I'm amazed, as usual.
    not exactly Norm...al

Comment

• drumpriest
      Veteran Member
      • Feb 2004
      • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
      • Powermatic PM 2000

Very nice, that jig is something else. I think both the Incra jig and a dovetail jig have their places in a shop though. If you are doing large drawers, it can get crazy quickly with the right angle fixture.
      Keith Z. Leonard
      Go Steelers!

Comment

• John Hunter
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2004
        • Lake Station, IN, USA.
        • BT3000 & BT3100

Very nice!
        John Hunter

Comment

• Ken Massingale
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2002
          • Liberty, SC, USA.
          • Ridgid TS3650

Thanks everyone for the kind comments, it's appreciated.

"Sooooo.... how long did that take. What was the learing curve? What do you think of the whole set up? I love my Incra Miter gauge and believe they make a wonderful product. Has this one meet your expectations? The price Rockler has on this thing seems very reasonable considering the price/value of some of the other Incra items."

Jeffrey,
          I don't have the small unit from Rockler, so I can't comment on it. I have the Incra Ultra Pro II,

but for a little more than the Rockler the Ultra Lite or the Ultra is a better buy, IMHO. Usually Woodpecker will come off the posted prices a little.

I'm thick headed and can be a bit dense so the Incra had/has a learning curve for me. But, once I began to understand the concepts of the thing it became easier. Mine has a 10" fence on the right angle fixture and can do 16" wide stock.
          Regular half blind dovetails are very quick and easy (for me quicker and easier than on a standard DT fixture), so are regular through DT's. The 'fancy' joints take more time because there are more pieces to mill.
          The Incra fixtures are high precision, but as I found out, if the operaator is careless in his precision, the fixture can't compensate for it. That's why the box is a couple of inches smaller than I started with.

I certainly won't be tossing my standard DT jigs, at least not right now, but for drawers and boxes, they will not be getting as much use. Chests are another matter, a 16" wide, 3 to 4 foot long 3/4" thick piece of stock would be a bear to handle on the Incra.
          HTH, let me know if I can try to answer any more questions, 'try' being the case right now.
          ken

Comment

• Jeffrey Schronce
            Veteran Member
            • Nov 2005
            • York, PA, USA.

Ken,
            Thanks for answering my questions. I know what you mean when it comes to thickheaded. I have 3 undergrad degrees and 2 graduate degrees, one of which is from Wharton, so I don't think I'm an idiot, but learning to set up the HBDT jig was horrid. Honestly I still am not happy with the results. I thought dove tails would be easy and raised panels would be tough. I watched the Freud DVD that came with my bit set and whipped out 6 perfect raised panels in a day (only 1 error and that was biscuits showing through). But I just can't seem to get the DT thing right. I am thinking that the Incra Ultra Pro II maybe the way to go. I am glad to hear that you find it easier to use for half blinds and throughs.
            Thanks
            Jeff

Comment

• GPA61
              • Sep 2004
              • Rancho Cucamonga, CA
              • BT 3100 & JET JWTS

Excellent work Ken.
              Claudio

Comment

Working...