• Kiwi Dust Mite
      Forum Newbie
      • Sep 2005
      • Hamilton, New Zealand.
      • AMAC Tablesaw

Originally posted by Pappy
      WOW!!!!
      Yur... wot he said
      ....**It\'s better burn out than fade away**...

Comment

• THyman
        Established Member
        • Feb 2005
        • Atlanta, Georgia, USA

Originally posted by jwaterdawg
        Okay, so I finally get around to augmenting my Hitachi DP with a shop built DP table. It's the first time I've built such a table so it is a little rough around the edges but has all the features I currently need with the potential for add-on's later.

You may see some dust or wood chips in the following pictures, so if that offends you, exit now while you have the chance .

(1) First off, this is a big table. It measures roughly 24"x24". I wanted a lot of work area and now I have it. The fence is one of those Craftsman router table fences that were on clearance some time back; fortunately, I had the forsight (or greediness) to pick up two at the time. The fence rides on Rockler T-track rails front to back. In addition there is two 24" sections of Kreg mini track for clamps, auxillay fences, jigs, etc. I can easily attach stop blocks (two shown), clamps, etc. to the fence face with either T-bolts, or 1/4 carriage bolts.

(2) I also included above and below dust collection. The above dust port is a standard shop vac hose with a nozzle end that has been strapped to an old gooseneck from a defunct lamp I had lying around.

Note that the insert is 3/4 mdf and measures roughly 4 1/8" square. For the insert orifice (for lack of a better word) I protected the melamine particle board with 1/4" paduak. It should resist abuse and in addition the red color reminds me that is a rotational danger zone. The hole below the insert is not dead center; being skewed to the left by about 1.5". It is like that on purpose (seriously). That way as the insert gets chewed up I can simply rotate the insert by 90 degrees and start with a clean insert prolonging the life of each by about 4 times.

You can also see that the fence can be extended roughly 10" extra on each side to accomodate long stock and that toggle clamps can be mounted directly on the fence.

(3)
        The below dust port is also from the Craftsman router table fence kit. I mounted it upside down and sealed it off with plexiglass clipped on. I can adjust the plexi up and down to optimize airflow and I can visually monitor the build up of dust. This area below the main table also is good for storage of inserts. I can keep about 25 inserts in here, which I am sure will last me for quite a while. The above and below dust ports connect to a common Y-joint into which I can plug my shop vac hose.

(4) I also built a quick and dirty accessory tray for temporarily storing a few bits for projects. Also holds a nice frosty beverage. It can be pivoted about the center of the tray, as well as about the pivot point on the DP column (in one of the pictures you can see that it is pushed all the way over under the DP motor).

(5) Overall, I am happy with it and it makes sawdust so that's really all that matters. I might eventually add a vertical side table for endboring long stock, but only if the need arises.

Thanks for looking, and suggestions, criticisms, etc. would be appreciated....
        I'm finishing up my own dptable and waondered how you attached your DP table to the Hitachi DP?
        War Eagle!

Comment

• DonHo
          Veteran Member
          • Mar 2004
          • Shawnee, OK, USA.
          • Craftsman 21829

Looks like you thought of everything you might need and then did a great job of putting it together. If it were made of MDF instead of melamine particle board I couldn't tell it from a Kirby creation

DonHo
          Don

Comment

• jwaterdawg
            • Aug 2005
            • Washington, NC USA
            • JET

I attached mine with two bolts/knobs inserted through the slots in the cast iron table of the DP. You can see the knobs sticking up in the picture below. The knobs are just behind the under-table dust port.

In the 2+ years I've been using the table I've never needed to remove it. However, I'm sure that if I had mounted it in some other semi-permanent way, I would have needed to remove it 6 times by now.

J
            Don't be stupid, the universe is watching.

Comment

• SARGE..g-47

Just saw your table JW. If you put that much effort into a piece of furniture, you would probably end up with a possible museum piece.

Excellent table to say the least..

Comment

• footprintsinconc
                Veteran Member
                • Nov 2006
                • Roseville (Sacramento), CA
                • BT3100

AW.....! man, it really does looking like its feul injected and all! terrific job!

Comment

• cobob
                  Established Member
                  • Jan 2004
                  • Rolla, MO, USA.
                  • BT3100

So that's what happened to Doc Ock after spiderman beat him.

Comment

• greencat
                    Established Member
                    • Dec 2005
                    • Grand Haven Mi

Very nice - I have had the same drill for too long and I need a great table like this.
                    Thanks again,
                    Mike

Comment

• Iansaws
                      Established Member
                      • Jul 2007
                      • Marietta, Ga
                      • Ryobi BT3100

[QUOTE=jwaterdawg;180094] The hole below the insert is not dead center; being skewed to the left by about 1.5". It is like that on purpose (seriously). That way as the insert gets chewed up I can simply rotate the insert by 90 degrees and start with a clean insert prolonging the life of each by about 4 times.

QUOTE]

Genious...shear genious!!
                      I feel more like I do today than I did yesterday...

Comment

• enorwood
                        Established Member
                        • Dec 2002
                        • Wenatchee, WA, USA.
                        • Craftsman 22124

New hobby?

Fantastic DP table! I assume you are taking up heart surgery in the shop?
                        -Earl

Comment

• chopnhack
                          Veteran Member
                          • Oct 2006
                          • Florida
                          • Ryobi BT3100

Seriously, where is the rough part - that is some fine work!!
                          I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• ironhat
                            Veteran Member
                            • Aug 2004
                            • Chambersburg, PA (South-central).
                            • Ridgid 3650 (can I still play here?)

I'm intrigued by your shop built oscillating spindle sander which I saw on your site at North Carolina Woodworker. It appears to be an inverted drill press with an eccentric drive attached to the quill for the up and down action. My question is, did you power this drive with a separate electric motor and if so, what kind of motor did you use. You appear to be an experienced machinest as well, if your Carter bearing adaptation to the Ridgid DP tells me anything. Nice work, Sir!!
                            Blessings,
                            Chiz

Comment

• lebomike
                              Established Member
                              • Jan 2008
                              • Pennsylvania
                              • Ryobi BT3000

WOW, Wish I had a DP in my shop. A new item I will purchase later this year.

GREAt JOB
                              "The power of kindness is immense. It is nothing less, really, than the power to change the world."

Comment

Working...