• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RodKirby
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Melbourne, Victoria, Australia.
    • Mao Shan TSC-10RAS

I somehow missed seeing this the first time around.

Nice job - particularly the dust control.

One thing's for sure - no one is going to tuck that under their arm and steal it

(Did you paint it?)
    Downunder ... 1" = 25.4mm

Comment

• Ken Massingale
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2002
      • Liberty, SC, USA.
      • Ridgid TS3650

That nice setp and a Grizzly 1023SLX!!???

Comment

• vaking
        Veteran Member
        • Apr 2005
        • Montclair, NJ, USA.
        • Ryobi BT3100-1

Very nice work JT!
        Two questios if you don't mind.
        1). Is the router table we see on pictures your only router table or is this an auxiliary setup and there is something else sitting in the corner?
        2). If this is the only router table - then what fence goes with it? The default RYOBI-kit attached to the rip fence or something more elaborate?
        Thanks,
        Alex V

Comment

• JTimmons
          • Feb 2005
          • Denver, CO.
          • Grizzly 1023SLX, Ryobi BT3100

I was searching through some of my posts and saw this one sitting on the second page of the search, should have been near the last page.

My apologies, I wasn't being a snob so here we go, knowing I am late (5 months) in responding.

Originally posted by Duff
          Raising a dead-thread. . .
          How is it holding up for the past 18 months? What changes (IF ANY) would you incorperate into it if making another one? Did you ever put a finish on it for the Kirby fans? Thanks! Looks GREAT!!!
          D
          23 months now and it's holding up great. Although, since October of last year it hasn't seen much use since getting the Griz which Ken mentions below. The drawers on it "were" being used for storage. The were part is I just started on a 12' long set of cabinets that'll have twice the drawer space that this one had in the new shop.

I am ashamed to say it, but the mobile cabinet got pushed out of the way, I plan on taking it apart soon. I plan on using the cabinets on it for under the Griz extension or on the outfeed table in the planning stages now. I am debating on setting up the BT for dados.

Originally posted by RodKirby
          I somehow missed seeing this the first time around.
          Nice job - particularly the dust control.
          One thing's for sure - no one is going to tuck that under their arm and steal it
          (Did you paint it?)
          Well Rod, I got a "Very Kirbyesque" from Pappy which meant a lot then and now it seems I got the endorsement from the man himself, which also means a lot.

While I say, you're inspiration to us all, your shop is awesome, but there is something wrong with you! I can't walk from one end of my shop to the other without making a mess along the way.

Nope, I didn't paint it. In true standard Kirby fashion or so I thought, I used some wipe on poly. What is it that you are using to seal MDF? (I saw it some where just can't remember) I ask cause I got some more stuff that hasn't been sealed yet.

You are right no one is gonna steal it. It's a major pain to move it. Ask the guys I hired to put it into the basement.

Originally posted by Ken Massingale
          That nice setp and a Grizzly 1023SLX!!???
          Yessir, the first tool I bought after the move here. I got it from a guy who moved here from Ireland. He was a bada** when it came to cabinets, his house was something to see.

I felt bad, he was having some financial issues and was getting rid of most of his tools, picked up the Griz for $600 with a 52 inch Unifence.

And just like you Ken, walking down the dark path, I have started down the slope too. I just picked up a Stanley #4 Type 11 for $29 at a local antique store. Going out tomorrow after work in search for a #7 or whatever falls in my path.

Originally posted by vaking
          Very nice work JT!
          Two questios if you don't mind.
          1). Is the router table we see on pictures your only router table or is this an auxiliary setup and there is something else sitting in the corner?
          2). If this is the only router table - then what fence goes with it? The default RYOBI-kit attached to the rip fence or something more elaborate?
          Thanks,
          1.) It was the only router table at the time. I have since built a stand alone.
          2.) If I remember right I built one that slipped over the rip fence with a dust port for a shop vac.

Thanks again to everyone. Now what was I searching for again?
          "Happiness is your dentist telling you it won't hurt and then having him catch his hand in the drill."
          -- Johnny Carson

Comment

• hermit
            Established Member
            • Dec 2002
            • Somerset, PA, USA.

I'm curious as to how that router has held up in the table! Been there, done that, lesson learned, that is the wrong router for a table. But this is one fine cabinet. I never saw the original post, so kudos a bit late.

Todd

Comment

• JTimmons
              • Feb 2005
              • Denver, CO.
              • Grizzly 1023SLX, Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by hermit
              I'm curious as to how that router has held up in the table! Been there, done that, lesson learned, that is the wrong router for a table. But this is one fine cabinet. I never saw the original post, so kudos a bit late.

Todd
              Thanks!

That's just the wrong router period! At a time when I couldn't afford much it was great though.
              "Happiness is your dentist telling you it won't hurt and then having him catch his hand in the drill."
              -- Johnny Carson

Comment

Working...