• Show
Clear All
  • gabink
    Handtools only
    • Mar 2005
    • Loganville, GA, USA.
    • BT3100-1

Wires near power cords and plug.

Putting covers back on BT3100-1 (they’ve been off for years). Where do the terminals in the picture go?
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Those are clearly ground wires.
    I can't get into mine but the drawing shows that there is a grounding screw (85) that goes through the chassis somewhere and a nut that fastens it to the chassis.
    Then one of the green ground terminals is captured by another nut and then the other ground terminal and another nut.
    Note there is a specific order where each terminal wire is captured by its own nut. Three nuts total (60) on the bolt (85)!

Hope that helps.

Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	933.9 KB ID:	858665
    Last edited by LCHIEN; 04-27-2024, 02:21 PM.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• gabink
      Handtools only
      • Mar 2005
      • Loganville, GA, USA.
      • BT3100-1

I had the screws for the cover plates in labeled pill bottles. Now I have to find the bottle for the screw and nuts for the terminals. Thanks a lot for the quick response and information.

Comment

• Slik Geek
        • Dec 2006
        • Lake County, Illinois
        • Ryobi BT-3000

A LCHIEN expertly highlighted, those two grounding lugs both connect to a grounding screw. This ground screw connects them to the metal side panel of the saw just around the corner from the power switch. Viewed from the outside, facing the side of the saw where the power cord enters, the grounding screw may be located just to the right of item 68 (the power cord entry block). The screw is located about at the level of the lower cord. I'm not certain because I have a BT-3000. Likely the grounding arrangement is similar.

This grounding attachment is a critical electrical safety feature of your saw. (It protects against a shock hazard).

Note the independent nut configuration shown in the drawing provided by LCHIEN. The first nut secures the screw to the metal enclosure. The second nut secures the power entry cord ground ring lug to the screw, establishing the earth ground connection to the enclosure. The third nut secures the remaining grounding ring lug which connects the earth ground to the saw motor. The order and nut arrangement are deliberate and important.

Comment

• LCHIEN
          Internet Fact Checker
          • Dec 2002
          • Katy, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 vintage 1999

"The order and nut arrangement are deliberate and important."

Yes.
          Loring in Katy, TX USA
          If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
          BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

Working...