• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bonnerj
    Forum Newbie
    • Nov 2023
    • BT3000

Bevel adjustment slipping

I've been trying to resolve an issue with my bevel lever slipping as I turn it. I have tried to reseat the lever as outlined in the manual, and I found a couple of older threads on this, but they don't seem to address the issue I'm having, which you can see in the linked video:

video, sharing, camera phone, video phone, free, upload

Also, what's the best way to clean the build up in the gears?

Thanks!

Joe
  • leehljp
    Just me
    • Dec 2002
    • Tunica, MS
    • BT3000/3100

Do you have an air compressor to blow it out?

I had a BT3000 when I lived in Japan and had a 3100 back here in the States. When I moved back home in late 2010, I took my BT3000 totally apart and reassembled it. While that was only 13 years ago, I do not remember the full process. But I know that I took that part and put it back together. (I had to reduce the volume to as little as I could get it). My son-in-law in N. Dallas has it now and it still works for him.
    That said, you should be able to take it apart and clean it if you wish to do it that way. RE-assembly is not difficult for anyone used to taking things apart and reassemblying them.
    Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• bonnerj
      Forum Newbie
      • Nov 2023
      • BT3000

Thanks, leehljp. I don't have an air compressor. I'm not sure I'm up to complete disassembly. Could I use mineral spirits and a soft bristle brush without fear of damaging anything?

Also, any ideas about the bevel gear slipping?

Thanks!

Joe

Comment

• Slik Geek
        • Dec 2006
        • Lake County, Illinois
        • Ryobi BT-3000

In your video, it appears that you are turning the Blade Adjusting Handle with the Bevel Locking Lever in an indeterminate position. With the Bevel Locking Lever fully clockwise, pointing downward, turning the Blade Adjusting Handle should raise and lower the blade. With the Bevel Locking Lever fully counter-clockwise, facing upward, the mechanism should engage the Gear Rack, so that turning the Blade Adjusting Handle will adjust the blade bevel angle. In your video, the Bevel Locking Lever appears to be in-between those two positions. The Roll Pin on the shaft should be against the Clutch when adjusting blade height, and well clear of the Clutch when adjusting the bevel. In your video, the Roll Pin is just clearing the Clutch.

My vintage BT3000's bevel adjustment slips over time, when I'm NOT adjusting it. This slippage results in non-vertical cuts in material. I would get the bevel adjustment squared up, set to zero, make a handful of cuts, and later look at the bevel indicator and it would have slipped to two or three degrees of bevel. I would true it up to zero again, and the cycle would repeat.

A while back I tried cleaning it up and adjusting the bevel locking lever. I used the procedure on page 29 of the BT3000 manual, IIRC. This helped considerably, but it didn't entirely solve the problem. This action significantly reduced the slippage rate and magnitude of the slippage. But it still slips a bit over time. It feels like the Bevel Locking Lever doesn't fully "lock" in position - at least not as firmly as it seemed like it did a couple decades ago. I haven't spent much time on this, but thought I mention it in case an expert chimes in on this thread, and perhaps this is something that "rings a bell" with you.

Comment

• Slik Geek
          • Dec 2006
          • Lake County, Illinois
          • Ryobi BT-3000

Your question spurred me to revisit my BT3000 bevel slipping issue. (Of course I first noticed it during a big project so I didn't spend much time on it). It looks like what was happening is my Bevel Locking Lever was contacting the saw enclosure in the tightened position - such that the resistance of the lever against the enclosure was fooling me into thinking that the 3/4" hex nut was sufficiently tightened to lock the setting in place. I disassembled the external set of parts, cleaned them, lubricated as directed, and reassembled. But this time I backed off the Bevel Locking Lever slightly on the shaft to provide more clearance to the enclosure. Now it feels like the level really locks things into place. When locked, the tip of the Bevel Locking Lever is no longer in contact with the enclosure. Thanks for motivating me to finally figure this out!

Comment

• Slik Geek
            • Dec 2006
            • Lake County, Illinois
            • Ryobi BT-3000

Are you holding the Bevel Locking Lever in the upward, all the way counter-clockwise position while turning the Blade Adjusting Handle? That is what you need to do to adjust the blade bevel.

Comment

• LCHIEN
              Internet Fact Checker
              • Dec 2002
              • Katy, TX, USA.
              • BT3000 vintage 1999

Yes, I agree, I have to push the bevel locking lever all the way to the right even as I turn the crank, to keep it engaged in bevel adjust mode, on my BT3000.
              Kinda of do it as a long term habit, took me a minute to recall I always do it.
              Last edited by LCHIEN; 12-05-2023, 01:48 AM.
              Loring in Katy, TX USA
              If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
              BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• bonnerj
                Forum Newbie
                • Nov 2023
                • BT3000

Slik Geek and LCHIEN, thanks for the replies and clarification. I had assumed (always a bad idea) that moving the lever to the right locked it in place while the bevel angle was being changed. But after reviewing the BT3100 DVD on YouTube (5:20 in the video below) and p. 15 of the BT3000 users manual, I see that the lever is supposed to held in place as you turn the wheel.

Last edited by bonnerj; 12-03-2023, 06:19 PM.

Comment

Working...