Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BT3100 Rip Fence Busted (Another??)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • BT3100 Rip Fence Busted (Another??)

    Has anyone made their own 'rip fence'?

    I got this saw off a neighbour, and this is what he made - since I can't find another replacement right now (will keep looking), has anyone made their own out of metal or other materials that might be a bit more convenient to slide and lock in place?

    So far he charged me $5, I cleaned out the switch to get it working (for now) and bought a new blade, so not looking to spend half the cost of a new saw to replace just the fence
    Otherwise I used it a lot yesterday and it worked like a champ!

    Looks like I can't attach photos, so here's a link to a shared album with how it looks right now:
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/WY5hniMmczSTapws6

  • #2
    Would it be easier for me just to get an aluminum angle (continuous L bracket) that's about 2"x2" and make something that'll slide in the track front and back with 2 wingnuts on each (to prevent flexing)?
    Just need to figure out what would slide in the track properly to do that to make it as convenient as possible...

    The bracket would be probably $20-30 CAD or so..

    I do know someone that has access to CNC, perhaps he could make me aluminum blocks that'll slide in the rails and I can just get pre-sunk holes for a bolt to come up through..

    Comment


    • #3
      I hope you downloaded my FAQ on the BT3 saws... it is linked in my signature line at the bottom of every post I make including this one.
      In it I believe there is a detailed description of how the BT3 rip fence works and what makes it unique.
      I know you only have $5 in the saw but getting a complete and working rip fence will make a difference in the saws performance.Making it work like it was designed to work.
      Good luck to you.
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by LCHIEN View Post
        I hope you downloaded my FAQ on the BT3 saws... it is linked in my signature line at the bottom of every post I make including this one.
        In it I believe there is a detailed description of how the BT3 rip fence works and what makes it unique.
        I know you only have $5 in the saw but getting a complete and working rip fence will make a difference in the saws performance.Making it work like it was designed to work.
        Good luck to you.
        I did read it.. but being that I can't find one at all, I was hoping to (at the very least) make something that's a bit more usable for now until something comes up. Ryobi doesn't have them, local classifieds and eBay don't have them.. The most convenient is definitely having the original, I would wholeheartedly agree with that (also why I made a post in classifieds looking for one, haha).

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by jessec View Post

          I did read it.. but being that I can't find one at all, I was hoping to (at the very least) make something that's a bit more usable for now until something comes up. Ryobi doesn't have them, local classifieds and eBay don't have them.. The most convenient is definitely having the original, I would wholeheartedly agree with that (also why I made a post in classifieds looking for one, haha).
          My comment is that these things show up from time to time and patience is sometimes rewarded. This was a popular item and They made several hundred thousand of these saws in various models that share many parts - particularly the rip fence and mechanisms. It is a matter of time. Sometimes you can pick up an entire saw minus a few parts for a ten bucks or just haul away. You have to read between the lines in many craigs list posts or the neighborhood news.
          Loring in Katy, TX USA
          If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
          BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

          Comment


          • #6
            I agree with Loring. About once every three to four months, or maybe six sometimes, there is a post here and on eBay with parts. But it is not a daily thing.
            Hank Lee

            Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by LCHIEN View Post
              My comment is that these things show up from time to time and patience is sometimes rewarded. This was a popular item and They made several hundred thousand of these saws in various models that share many parts - particularly the rip fence and mechanisms. It is a matter of time. Sometimes you can pick up an entire saw minus a few parts for a ten bucks or just haul away. You have to read between the lines in many craigs list posts or the neighborhood news.
              Oh yeah, I've scored good camera gear before because of mis-spelled words that wouldn't show up in normal searches.. so I definitely try searching a multitude of ways to try and get results haha.
              I do have a wood 'fence' that does work right now, I just figured for the next 2, 4, 6 months if/until one comes up, I was just curious if someone had come up with something in the meantime, and as a back-up.. because you never know if/when the replacement may fail as well based on current supply and demand

              And having a make-shift fence that (at the very least) keeps things straight, is better than no fence at all. I've just been making measurements from the blade to the fence and having to use a clamp to hold the handle in place on the front side.. not the most convenient

              Comment

              Working...
              X