• Show
Clear All
  • joedad
    Forum Newbie
    • Mar 2015
    • Yardley, PA
    • Ryobi Bt3000

Raising and Lowering Blade.

Threads stripped on the motor mount that the raising and lowering screw goes through. Any suggestions on how to fix?
  • durango dude
    • Mar 2011
    • a thousand or so feet above insanity
    • 50s vintage Craftsman Contractor Saw

Check the shims ------ I have a hard time thinking the threads are stripped.

Comment

• joedad
      Forum Newbie
      • Mar 2015
      • Yardley, PA
      • Ryobi Bt3000

I have the saw apart the bolt goes straight through. After researching I found a thread that said to use a Heliocoil. I am going to try later today. Thanks for your reply

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by joedad
        I have the saw apart the bolt goes straight through. After researching I found a thread that said to use a Heliocoil. I am going to try later today. Thanks for your reply
        Yes, Helicoil is a good way to fix.

Loring in Katy, TX USA
        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• leehljp
          Just me
          • Dec 2002
          • Tunica, MS
          • BT3000/3100

Joe I got your message yesterday and after I started replying, we had and internet outage (and my house phone also) before I could reply; lost my answer. It came back on line about 30 minutes ago.

I was going to mention the heliocoil, but it seems that you have already found that.
          Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• LCHIEN
            Internet Fact Checker
            • Dec 2002
            • Katy, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 vintage 1999

about the size of the helicoil 9/16"-12
            will need a 19/32 drill

from the BT3 FAQ======================

Sometimes the threaded elevation rod engages a threaded hole in the motor assembly and the thread is worn/stripped. You will need to enlarge the hole and thread a new helicoil (a stainless steel threaded insert) into the hole to repair the thread. See these elevation rebuild instructions by JohnG.

[posted by “Knuckles” Brian] I went the HeliCoil route. Thanks to Ed's instructions in the Article section, it wasn't too difficult. It's not something I'd want to do every day. I searched about a dozen auto parts, hardware, and machine shops in this area, and I had no luck finding the 9/16"-12 Helicoil (or clone) kit. I ended up ordering one from a website called Cartools.com. It cost something like $50, shipping included. Wouldn't you know, though, after I bought it I stopped in a local discount tool place that I hadn't noticed previously; they had a clone (Permacoil) kit for $15.

The next problem was finding a 19/32" drill bit to drill out the lug that the threaded rod goes through. [ed. Note – some helicoil kits include this drill bit]…
            Probably the most tedious (and potentially disastrous) step of the repair was drilling out the hole prior to tapping it. I figured that I only had one shot to drill the hole on the same axis, and I wouldn't know how well I did until "the reckoning" of trying to put it together. I used a 1/2" drill bit to help get the bit centered, and find the axis. I didn't measure the angle, but it wasn't exactly 90º to the table. I had to shim it with some laminated air and a few mosquito wings.

Once I got the hole drilled and tapped, the insert went in nice and easy, and I epoxied it in place. I made sure to keep screwing the insert tool in and out so that any epoxy that squeezed into the inside threads was "threaded" in.

I learned something during assembly that's important to the instructions. Install the threaded rod and bevel gears before tightening the screws that attach the motor housing and the guide holder. …
            Loring in Katy, TX USA
            If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
            BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• joedad
              Forum Newbie
              • Mar 2015
              • Yardley, PA
              • Ryobi Bt3000

Thanks for all the reply's. I have ordered the HeliCoil kit and should receive later this week. I do not what I would do without this site. Thanks Again...Joe

Comment

Working...