Clear All
  • tfischer
    Veteran Member
    • Jul 2003
    • Plymouth (Minneapolis), MN, USA.
    • BT3100

Originally posted by BMiles
    other questions,
    BT3's can not be found new anywhere, correct?
    are there any saws made now that are comparable to it?
    are replacement raising and lowering wheels only made of plastic?
    Welcome to the forum. Others here will be better at helping with your technical issue, but I can answer these questions.

1) The BT3100 was discontinued in 2006, after a long period of "no love" from Home Depot. (HD didn't seem to understand or care about the saw, so nobody understood how it was supposed to work)l. There was no replacement version.

2) I'd say "no". You can find saws with a sliding miter table, but as for a lowish-cost, fairly accurate, flexible saw with a SMT, riving knife, built in router table, etc like the BT3K, I'd say there isn't anything else even close.

3) The BT3100's wheel was plastic. The BT3000's was metal. I *think* they are interchangeable but others can confirm/correct.

-Tim

Comment

• BMiles
      Handtools only
      • Jan 2017
      • Massachusetts
      • Ryobi BT300

thanks Tim,

Hopefully someone can answer my other question.

Comment

• JimD
        Veteran Member
        • Feb 2003
        • Lexington, SC.

I have a BT3100 with the normal plastic handwheel. I've thought several times I stripped the threads in the housing. I even went so far as to buy a helicoil kit for it once. But as I was tearing it down to install it, I pushed the gears around by hand and the housing moved. It was just dirty, again. I do not think it is possible to strip the gears with the plastic handwheel. It just spins on the shaft. It's frustrating but is a good design feature. You have to STOP, clean it up, and lube it. I like candle wax for the lube. The shim based elevation system is a weak link in this saw only from the standpoint that it requires maintenance. But if you keep it clean and lubed it works and the saw is very accurate for the price, powerful enough, and will do a lot of good work.

Comment

• BMiles
          Handtools only
          • Jan 2017
          • Massachusetts
          • Ryobi BT300

Hi Jim, thanks for that info but I need to know how the clutch and spring work. it seems like the spring is getting jammed up on some kind of pins coming out of the shaft/clutch. see the pictures I posted above. I have a video of it but don't know how to post that here.

Comment

• tfischer
            Veteran Member
            • Jul 2003
            • Plymouth (Minneapolis), MN, USA.
            • BT3100

Originally posted by BMiles
            have a video of it but don't know how to post that here.
            Easiest way would be to upload to Youtube and then post a link here.

Comment

• LCHIEN
              LCHIEN commented
              Editing a comment
              short videos can be uploaded here.
          • LCHIEN
            Internet Fact Checker
            • Dec 2002
            • Katy, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 vintage 1999

A few comments.
            The BT3 handwheel was metal for part of the BT3000 run then changed to plastic later... the metal ones can be identified by the open through sections between the center bar and the circle and the plastic ones have decal covered plastic web covering the two hole made between the circle and the center bar.
            There is someone selling a machined adapter to take a standard handwheel with a standard shaft hole and mount it to the end of the non standard BT3 shaft. I think I paid about $10 or 15 for it - going to use it one day.

QUite a few handwheels and other parts available on eBay continually.
            http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...wheel&_sacat=0
            Black ones metal or plastic are from BT3000, Blue-yellow ones from BT3100, and gray ones from 21829 I understand they will all interchange.

Videos can now be uploaded here to posts. They have to be limited to like 2 MB which is going to be short... 10-15 seconds or so, I believe but don't hold me to it, MPEG, AVI and MP4?

No new BT3 s being made. The feature set was unique and has not been replicated. But hundreds of thousands were made in BT3000, BT3100, and several sears versions. 22811 21829 being the most popular.
            Last edited by LCHIEN; 01-19-2017, 08:33 PM.
            Loring in Katy, TX USA
            If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
            BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• BMiles
              Handtools only
              • Jan 2017
              • Massachusetts
              • Ryobi BT300

I put the video on You Tube. Maybe someone can tell me how this should work correctly. What is the spring supposed to be doing and should that pin be sticking out?

https://youtu.be/6i8cegSC0Jg

if I cant get this working I'll be using the table saw shown in my profile picture. That is home made and made all out of wood except for the blade and shaft that the blade is connected to. It is powered by a small external motor like a washing machine motor. My uncle, who passed away last year at 85, used it all his life to make furniture for his house. My uncles farther built that saw before my uncle was born. I also have 3 band saws that my uncles father made. I have been using one of those band saws for the past 30 years.

Comment

• BMiles
                Handtools only
                • Jan 2017
                • Massachusetts
                • Ryobi BT300

does anyone know how the spring is supposed to work and if mine is not working correctly?
                https://youtu.be/6i8cegSC0Jg

Comment

Working...