X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jpk
    Forum Newbie
    • Jan 2013

BT3K, can I lubricate the rails?

My rails have become sticky over the years. I've owned my saw for getting close to 20 years but it resides outside in a shop that isn't humidity controlled. The rip fence doesn't slide as easily as it used to. Any suggestions? Thanks.
  • Shane
    Handtools only
    • Feb 2016

I did. I used the 3M dry lube on it. I'm pretty sure it's just Rain-X in disguise, though. I also put it on the SMT slides. Everything moves smoothly now. Just clean the rails with mineral spirits, then apply the dry lube with a rag and let it dry for a minute. Works like magic.

Comment

• vaking
      Veteran Member
      • Apr 2005
      • Montclair, NJ, USA.
      • Ryobi BT3100-1

Clean the rails instead of lubricating them. Remove all residue and gunk. Check adjustments on a rip fence. There is a gripping mechanism at the back of the fence. When you unlock the fence - there is a piece of metal at the back that is supposed to release the back rail. If it gets stuck - you will have hard time moving the fence.
      Alex V

Comment

• jpk
        Forum Newbie
        • Jan 2013

I've used my BT3K sparingly over the years however residing out in my shop has take its toll on the cosmetics. The stand and the saw housing have some surface rust showing up and it's dusty. I need to replace the "O" rings on the SMT locks. They seem to be essentially friction locks so the levers don't flop down when you're trying to remove the SMT. I bought a recon Ryobi R175 router back when I bought the saw. The saw was an open box reduced sale floor item. They knocked $100.00 off the list price. I believe I bought it at a Scotty's or Handi City. We didn't have a Home Depot back then. I bought the router at a Radio Shack outlet store. They were carrying recon Ryobi tools so I got it cheap. When we did get a HD I bought the router mounting kit. I'm getting ready to do some routing so I've pulled the saw out and mounted all the router parts to it. I need to cut a 1/4" channel in some wood for flooring and do some ripping as well. So I'm tuning the saw up to get ready for some work.

As an aside, I never have figured out how to setup the ****ed SMT. I have a friend that has the Craftsman version and he's stumped as well. He's pretty good at mechanical stuff as well.

Comment

• LCHIEN
          Internet Fact Checker
          • Dec 2002
          • Katy, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 vintage 1999

clean the rails but do not lubricate them. Use a solvent cleaner if there's gunk on them otherwise probably soapy water and or something like Fantastik will work.
          Because certain things clamp to the rails, like the rip fence and the SMT, you don't want them to be slick... a silicone lube on them would be a disaster, the clamps will just slip up and off.
          Loring in Katy, TX USA
          If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
          BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

Working...