Clear All
  • tfischer
    Veteran Member
    • Jul 2003
    • Plymouth (Minneapolis), MN, USA.
    • BT3100

Motor/belt replacement

Hi all,

Anyone have any quick advice on how to swap out motors on the BT3100? I will also have to take the belts from my existing (dead) motor and move them to the new (used) one.

Thanks!
  • cork58
    Established Member
    • Jan 2006
    • Wasilla, AK, USA.
    • BT3000

Lots and lots of discussion about this, start with this one. http://www.bt3central.com/showthread...lt+replacement
    Cork,

Dare to dream and dare to fail.

Comment

• tfischer
      Veteran Member
      • Jul 2003
      • BT3100

Thanks much for the link.

Ugh, what a horribly, horribly overcomplicated job. I managed to get the old motor out (virtually disassembling every part of the saw), but only at the expense of drilling out one of the 4 motor screws that was stuck so bad that even an impact driver couldn't get it out (nor could a screw extractor). I have the new one partially installed but will have to source a replacement screw before I continue.

I never thought I'd use so many tools just for a simple motor replacement. And if a belt breaks in a week, I do it all again?? What a terrible design.

Comment

• tfischer
        Veteran Member
        • Jul 2003
        • BT3100

The saw is back together and operational!

I took one of the motor screws in to the hardware store this AM to replace the one I had to drill out... I figured it was some funky metric thing, but it turned out to be a plain-jane #10-24. That was easy.

Turns out I probably took apart a lot more than I needed to. At first I thought I had to take the top of the saw off, so I removed the SMT, router table, rails, and my two miter slot tables... both sides were already off, and it was at that point I realized taking the top off was going to do me no good. So then it was disassembling the entire motor assembly which is enough of a pain by itself.

I hope I never have to do that again, but if I do, at least I should be quicker next time.

Thanks all for the advice here and in other threads.

Comment

• LCHIEN
          Internet Fact Checker
          • Dec 2002
          • Katy, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 vintage 1999

There's absolutely no metric hardware in the BT3s. they are all SAE/imperial threads and sizes, like #10-24, 3/8-16, etc.
          The vertical elevation is based on a 12 TPI thread so each turn of the crank raises the blade .08333"
          Last edited by LCHIEN; 08-09-2014, 12:19 PM.
          Loring in Katy, TX USA
          If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
          BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

Working...