• Show
Clear All
  • michaelmoyer
    Handtools only
    • Jan 2014
    • Oakland, CA
    • Ryobi BT3000

Can't adjust blade height

My old BT3000 has stripped the threads on the casting that raises and lowers the blade. I can buy a new replacement part, but I don't know how difficult it will be to take apart the saw to install this part. Looks like many hours of work to disassemble and reassemble. I use my BT3X often and have many add on features so I want to keep the BT3X active in my shop. Should I try replacing part or buy another used BT3000? Help
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Michael, you posted this three times in varying forms so I deleted all but this one.

Your problme is not uncommon as the "casting" you speak of is aluminum and lack of lubrication and hard uisage will cause the threads to be stripped out (worn out) by the harder steel threaded elevation rod.

The best solution is to use a "Helicoil" repair kit. You can search the forum for helicoil which I think is the brand name, its also available as clones, but the repair consists of drilling out the old hole with an oversized drill, threading it, and installing a threaded insert that is internally threaded for the elevation rod which is a standard thread (9/16-12).
    THis will give you a steel thread in the elevation which should last practically forever and can be done in place.
    One key is drilling the hole pretty much perpendicular to the plate its in. The kit comes with the drill bit, tap, and several inserts and costs is not cheap but the repair will be well worth it compared to what you were thinking.

As I said, search the forum for the keyword helicoil and many threads and/or articles should pop up. For example this one:

Last edited by LCHIEN; 01-20-2014, 03:32 PM.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• JimD
      Veteran Member
      • Feb 2003
      • Lexington, SC.

I agree with Loring's input and I do not know BT3000s. But when I thought I has stripped the threads in my BT3100, it was really the handle (plastic) turning on the steel shaft. The only issue was a lack of lubrication on the shim to aluminum sliding interference. I don't know if this is a possibility on a BT3000, if the handle is solid it may not be, but I am passing it on just-in-case.

If your shaft is turning but the blade doesn't go up and down, then I would helicoil it as Loring suggests.

Comment

Working...