One step forward, two steps back. Motor not working...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pinwheel
    Forum Newbie
    • Jul 2013

One step forward, two steps back. Motor not working...

I posted a question to the forum last July about finding some parts to my BT3000 that I cleverly threw away.

This is the place to ask questions about the Ryobi BT3 series table saws. Please limit the posts to this topic only.

Well, I got lucky a couple of weeks ago and obtained a set of arbor washers from Ebay. Pretty happy to be able get my table saw going again!

Started to assemble the saw yesterday and while testing it found out that the motor won't turn. Did a quick check by directly plugging the motor cord to an extension cord. Nada. The blade rotates easily when turned by hand.

It was working perfectly when I started in on the shim replacement last Spring.

Any thoughts?

Best,
    Dave
  • cork58
    Established Member
    • Jan 2006
    • Wasilla, AK, USA.
    • BT3000

I would check the brushes, one may have stuck open. Just take them out and put right back in. If that isn't it bypass the switch, original switch gave all kinds of trouble.
    Cork,

Dare to dream and dare to fail.

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

sorry to hear that.

Offhand, it seems unlikely that a motor just sitting there could go completely bad.
      The thing that comes to mind is that sometimes a universal motor with brushes sitting there will develop a non-conducting spot under the brushes from sitting there. Rotating (power disconnected of course) the motor to a new spot and just wiping the contacts by doing so will allow it to start when plugged in again.

But it sounds like you did that.
      Can you apply a ohm-meter to the leads of the short cord of the motor hanging out? That will not tell you eveything but if the resistance is real low then the motor windings are good and somehow you are not getting power to the motor. If open, then you won't get any power to the motor at all.

I presume you didn't get confused between the long cord and plug and outlet and the short plug as to which to plug into what (It sounds like you sad you connected a extension cord to the short cord so that sounds right).

FInally, assuming nothing, did you check the breaker to make sure the outlet is live? E.g. plug a 100W lamp into the extension cord you said you used?
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Pinwheel
        Forum Newbie
        • Jul 2013

Yes, I'm an IDIOT...

I meant to post this yesterday but was caught up in a day-long event.

After posting my problem I called my wife to tell her how disappointed I was that my table saw was dead and that I would have to look for a new one. Then I went back out to my shed to check it yet again.

And during this check I happened to notice that the battery charger lights for my motorcycles were not on...

FInally, assuming nothing, did you check the breaker to make sure the outlet is live? E.g. plug a 100W lamp into the extension cord you said you used?
        As usual, LCHIEN had the answer.

I reset the breaker for the right side circuit of the shed, did a quick direct motor plug in and it whirled away.

So, after fixing the shim problem, cleaning the unit, putting the table saw back together with the replacement parts, wiring up a new switch (BT3100) I now have my BT3000 back and ready to use.

All is good with the world. And I am still an idiot.

Thanks to all.
        Dave

Comment

• LCHIEN
          Internet Fact Checker
          • Dec 2002
          • Katy, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by Pinwheel
          After posting my problem I called my wife to tell her how disappointed I was that my table saw was dead and that I would have to look for a new one. ...

Dave
          so tell her you just saved enough money to buy a new (name your favorite tool here).
          Last edited by LCHIEN; 11-11-2013, 12:27 AM.
          Loring in Katy, TX USA
          If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
          BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Pinwheel
            Forum Newbie
            • Jul 2013

so tell her you just saved enough money to buy a new (name your favorite tool here).
            Hahahaha! That is exactly what I said to her!

One new bench-top drill press on it's way..

Dave

Comment

Working...