• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • woodturner
    Veteran Member
    • Jun 2008
    • Western Pennsylvania
    • General, Sears 21829, BT3100

I had to remove a motor a few years ago and there was a much easier way to do it. IIRC I removed the back half of the motor from the front mounting plate/end cap. I don't think I had to remove the gears to do it. I

I can take a look and try to remember exactly how I did it, if that would be helpful.
    --------------------------------------------------
    Electrical Engineer by day, Woodworker by night

Comment

• calebjely
      Handtools only
      • Oct 2019

I had to remove a motor a few years ago and there was a much easier way to do it. IIRC I removed the back half of the motor from the front mounting plate/end cap
      This is easy but works only if you need to replace the stator portion of the motor. In my cast the rotor coils were burnt out as well so the whole assembly had to be removed.

By the way, you cannot "do it from the top" as the previous post speculates. The top of the vertical shaft has a nut on it that looks like it might unscrew, but it is an integral part of the shaft and *can't* be removed. Don't ask me how I know.
      What do you mean that it "can't" be removed? I just did this this weekend on 2 BT3100 saws where I was swapping the motors and it was the easiest way to do it. At the top of the vertical shaft there is bolt with a nut and a washer on it that screws into the top of the vertical threaded shaft and acts as a stop for the maximum height adjustment of the blade. This nut and bolt were easily removed. It is easiest if you adjust the blade to 45 degrees to get more space between the top of the shaft and the bottom of the tabletop to get above the bolt to unscrew it. Once unscrewed set the blade adjustment back to 0 and then you just rotate the height adjustment wheel until the motor pops off the top of the threaded shaft. Just make sure the motor assembly is rotated counterclockwise out of the opening where the motor rod sticks through as it will bind up with the top of that opening as you reach the top of the shaft.
      Last edited by calebjely; 10-22-2019, 05:07 PM.

Comment

• Sailorhudson
        Handtools only
        • Jul 2020
        • Aurora, Colorado
        • Ryobi BT3000

I want to thank Calebjely for his response. I burned up my motor and just got a replacement, couldn’t figure out how to get it off the height adjustment screw till I read his post. I was thinking in 2D not 3D. Once I rotated the mounting to 45 degrees, I could easily unscrew it. My wife and I were extremely frustrated till we read your post. Thanks!

Comment

Working...