• Show
Clear All
  • leehljp
    Just me
    • Dec 2002
    • Tunica, MS
    • BT3000/3100

Did you know that on the BT3000 . . .

That some of the screws for the BT3000/3100 are Tri-sided? This could have been mentioned way back when, but I never noticed that, or at least I don't remember it.

I took my BT3000 apart just before I left Japan - sides, motor / blade housing off; top off from the housing, the bevel gear, etc. Well, I am just now putting it back together. All screws were seperated into little bags according to its particular function. Today, I finally had some time to put it together and I noticed that one of the screws looked funny. Then I noticed several. Those that thread into aluminum are kinda tri-sided.

Kinda proud of myself. I did not have a manual but got it together without a hitch. Two small blunders - the front switch - the box behind the wall I initially installed it upside down, but quickly discovered the problem as I tried to install the side plug in. Only took a minuted to fix. The front lever that changes from Bevel to Height, I put it on at the wrong angle, as I was re-building it up side down. I installed the lever to hang straight down when locked, but discovered it needs to be at an angle. Not a big problem, I will fix that next week. I haven't put the toggle levers for the rails on and of course I have not squared it. I will mount it on a Bosch gravity rise stand.
    Last edited by leehljp; 03-17-2013, 07:05 AM.
    Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!
  • Black wallnut
    cycling to health
    • Jan 2003
    • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
    • BT3k 1999

I read somewhere that the tri-sided screws were self tapping. Guess the idea is they swage threads into the aluminum.
    Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• EngrChrisSaw
      Handtools only
      • Feb 2012
      • Craftsman 113.298240, (Would like to try the Delta T2 mod) - Craftsman 21829

Yes, they are self-tapping, but I also heard the screws will not have the same gripping power before removal. In worst cases, drilling and taping with a larger screw can be necessary.

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

Huh, Hank?

You mean they're self-tapping with three cutters on the threads?

Or a head with a tri-wing (Y-shaped recess like a phillips but with three instead of four)

or a head with Triangle recess?

I presume you mean self-tapping with three cutters. I suppose the cutters slot/recess are for cuttings relief. The more the easier it would be to cut.
        Last edited by LCHIEN; 03-18-2013, 01:17 AM.
        Loring in Katy, TX USA
        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• leehljp
          Just me
          • Dec 2002
          • Tunica, MS
          • BT3000/3100

Originally posted by LCHIEN
          Huh, Hank?

You mean they're self-tapping with three cutters on the threads?

Or a head with a tri-wing (Y-shaped recess like a phillips but with three instead of four)

or a head with Triangle recess?

I presume you mean self-tapping with three cutters. I suppose the cutters slot/recess are for cuttings relief. The more the easier it would be to cut.
          The main shaft/body of the screw is kinda triangular shaped. It is a rounded over triagular, and obvious when looking specifically at the body. The wings/cutters are more round. I have a long day today but tomorrow (Tuesday evening) I will be able to hopefully take a picture of one of the screws. Although it is together, I can take one out easily enough and photo it.
          Last edited by leehljp; 03-18-2013, 04:03 PM.
          Hank Lee

Comment

• cabinetman
            Gone but not Forgotten RIP
            • Jun 2006
            • So. Florida
            • Delta

They are split self tapping screws. The splits allow for clearing if there is a collection of material.

Comment

• Black wallnut
              cycling to health
              • Jan 2003
              • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
              • BT3k 1999

Originally posted by cabinetman
              They are split self tapping screws. The splits allow for clearing if there is a collection of material.

Nice guess but wrong.
              Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• woodturner
                Veteran Member
                • Jun 2008
                • Western Pennsylvania
                • General, Sears 21829, BT3100

Originally posted by leehljp
                Those that thread into aluminum are kinda tri-sided.
                I think you are referring to trilobular thread rolling screws something like these. The shaft cross section is not round but more triangular with rounded corners.
                --------------------------------------------------
                Electrical Engineer by day, Woodworker by night

Comment

• leehljp
                  Just me
                  • Dec 2002
                  • Tunica, MS
                  • BT3000/3100

Originally posted by woodturner
                  I think you are referring to trilobular thread rolling screws something like these. The shaft cross section is not round but more triangular with rounded corners.
                  That is very close, if not the same. I am not at home and won't be there until late tonight. It will be tomorrow evening before I have time to check and photograph one.
                  Hank Lee

Comment

• JR
                    The Full Monte
                    • Feb 2004
                    • Eugene, OR
                    • BT3000

Originally posted by woodturner
                    "trilobular"
                    A new word for my thesaurus. It sounds like something I would make up, but use anway because it is self-desribing.
                    JR

Comment

Working...