• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cooterbrown
    Forum Newbie
    • Mar 2013

Shim Sources? - BT3000

Hey all,

I have had little luck investigating replacement shims.

1 - Most parts suppliers no longer carry shims for the BT3k

2 - Loring's FAQ - while a freakishly invaluable source of information - points to the fact that you can convert to BT3100 shims - but if I calculated the cost correctly - the conversion was over $70. (my math may be off)

Understand that while I can take the saw apart and find the problem - I have no clue about machining my own parts - or how to find a machinist to do so.

So the point of my thread is to ask:

How are you all fixing the problem?

Thanks!
  • Turaj
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
    • BT3000 (1998)

While I have never had a shim problem, I believe there are more than one way to fix it.

Do you still have the old shims? Of so this solution by Norm in Fujino may work for you. I am sure others can share their solutions.

Good luck
    Last edited by Turaj; 03-16-2013, 11:21 AM.
    Turaj (in Toronto)
    "When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading!" Henny Youngman

Comment

• cooterbrown
      Forum Newbie
      • Mar 2013

Thanks Turaj,

But two of the shims are destroyed basically.

One of the "L" shaped shims was literally torn at the bottom. (the other is missing one of the small foldovers)

One of the straight shims was destroyed when I removed it.

Comment

• MountainTime
        Handtools only
        • Feb 2013

Hi there,

First time posting but I thought I could chime in having recently acquired a used BT3K and having to replace the shims. You can buy thin sheet metal stock and fabricate your own, no machining required simply folding thin sheet metal and drilling a few holes. Otherwise you can convert to the bt3100 shims. I got all of my parts from Ryobi's official parts site (or at least the site you can link to from their website when you click to order replacement parts): http://ryobitools.arinet.com/scripts/EmpartISAPI.dll?MF

Select the "Model" tab at the top, type in bt3100 and select the correct parts from diagram A. You'll need:

2 Spring Shims Part# 0181010314 (#3 on Diagram A)
        2 Flat Shims Part# 969600001 (#86 on Diagram A)
        1 Guide Holder Part# 0181010110 (#80 on Diagram A)

I just checked and the grand total for me including shipping was $31.06

If you want you could order extra parts at this time since you're already paying for shipping (i.e. belts, etc.), but that is the total for the bt3100 conversion alone.

Comment

• Black wallnut
          cycling to health
          • Jan 2003
          • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
          • BT3k 1999

If you have exhausted every part number at sears parts to no avail then your best bet may be to make them yourself. They are just folded stainless shim stock. If the front shims still have good tabs at one end, as long as they are opposite ends or mirror images then the Shim Supports linked above will work and is a permanent fix. If this is the case then it sounds to me that you would only need to make one rear shim. Those only have two holes and two creases and for that matter a new one could be epoxied in place. Only the front shims need to move and even then only slightly.

e.t.a. I am fairly sure that the rear shims (flat ones) are the same for the BT3100 so you could just order them.
          Last edited by Black wallnut; 03-16-2013, 10:00 AM.
          Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• cooterbrown
            Forum Newbie
            • Mar 2013

Thanks guys for the replies...

BW - how do you cut the shim stock? I may try this today.
            Last edited by cooterbrown; 03-16-2013, 11:14 AM.

Comment

• Brian G
              • Jun 2003
              • Bloomington, Minnesota.
              • G0899

www.m-and-d.com has BT3100 shims listed as available for a whoppin' $0.75.

Link

Find some other doodads to make it worth shipping. In the past, I purchased an extra rip fence extrusion for $23 and converted it to a long SMT fence. Stuff like an extra arbor nut, some SMT fence pivot pins, SMT locking clamps, are low cost items that could come in handy.

For BT3100 owners that have stripped threads in the motor housing bracket, like I did many years ago you can buy a housing bracket for $26 and change. That's likely cheaper than the helicoil kit and time to re-drill. In the formative years of the BT3100, the helicoil repair was the only option because motor housing brackets could only be purchased with a motor attached.
              Brian

Comment

• cooterbrown
                Forum Newbie
                • Mar 2013

Originally posted by Brian G
                www.m-and-d.com has BT3100 shims listed as available for a whoppin' $0.75.

Link

Find some other doodads to make it worth shipping. In the past, I purchased an extra rip fence extrusion for $23 and converted it to a long SMT fence. Stuff like an extra arbor nut, some SMT fence pivot pins, SMT locking clamps, are low cost items that could come in handy.

For BT3100 owners that have stripped threads in the motor housing bracket, like I did many years ago you can buy a housing bracket for $26 and change. That's likely cheaper than the helicoil kit and time to re-drill. In the formative years of the BT3100, the helicoil repair was the only option because motor housing brackets could only be purchased with a motor attached.

I've got a 3000 not a 3100 Brian. Thanks though - I will look at the link.

Comment

• LCHIEN
                  Internet Fact Checker
                  • Dec 2002
                  • Katy, TX, USA.
                  • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by cooterbrown
                  Thanks guys for the replys...

BW - how do you cut the shim stock? I may try this today.
                  I would recommend brass shim stock, not Stainless steel, about .008" but then I haven't made any, but I would expect the brass to be MUCH easier to work with and you should not require stainless for its anti-rust properties or strength.

For cutting them some metal shears should work well. Maybe even a pair of good scissors at .008", I might give it a try but I haven't done it myself..
                  Loring in Katy, TX USA
                  If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                  BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• cooterbrown
                    Forum Newbie
                    • Mar 2013

Okay - time has passed....

https://www.ereplacementparts.com

Ryobi Shim - 969600001 (2)$0.89 = $1.78

Ryobi Shim - 0181010314 (2)$0.60 = $1.20

Ryobi Guide Holder - 0181010110 (1)$16.00 = $16.00

Subtotal: $18.98
                    Shipping: $9.16
                    Tax: $0.00
                    Total: $28.14

So tired of not having this saw available.... now really excited.

Just took a long time in between posts...

Comment

• durango dude
                      • Mar 2011
                      • a thousand or so feet above insanity
                      • 50s vintage Craftsman Contractor Saw

partsdirect (looks like they only have a few parts left)

http://parts.sears.com/partsdirect/p...00061426/00001
                      Last edited by durango dude; 12-17-2013, 12:06 PM.

Comment

Working...