• Show
Clear All
  • conwaygolfer
    Established Member
    • Jun 2008
    • Conway, SC.
    • BT3000

Zero Clearance Plate

Is there any benefit to a zcp when cutting 45* angles? If so, how could it be made, considering at the rear of the blade is the location of the riving knife.

I made one from 3/4 oak for 90 * cuts. It lasted about 2 years. After cutting a slot in the rear for the "knife", there was only about 1 1/2 in. left to hold it together at the front. I guess it finally got tired of me removing it and it split apart at the front.

Is there a better way? Thanks for your advice.

Conwaygolfer
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

sure you can make one, with the BT3s tilt the blade, lower it below the table and raise it through same as you make a 90 degree plate. Be careful of trapping the blade so it can't turn freely when started or you'll be breaking belts.

Its less likely to break if you make it of a grainless material... probably still have to be careful about bending it depending upon the material.

as for benefits, same benefits - but I think less obvious.
    Reduced tearout,
    dust collection
    keeping cutoffs out of the saw body.

I don't think any of them are so bad with 45 degree cuts I've wanted to make a special 45° ZCTP, so I don't have one.
    mostly you get a sharp edge anyway, and cutoffs are wedge shaped and less likely to fall in.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Tip
      Forum Newbie
      • Dec 2002
      • Columbus, Ohio, USA.

*snip* "Is there any benefit to a zcp when cutting 45* angles?"
      I use the stock plate, but add a piece of blue painters tape over the slot. Put it on while the blade is retracted and extend beyond the front of the table, raise the blade to cut height. Tape lasts longer than you think it would. Standard disclaimers apply. YMMV.
      Tip

Comment

• conwaygolfer
        Established Member
        • Jun 2008
        • Conway, SC.
        • BT3000

Thanks for the input. Think I might try the tape.

Conwaygolfer

Comment

Working...