Bought a *NEW* (in original boxes, etc) BT3000. Any suggestions?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Titaniac
    Handtools only
    • Nov 2012

Bought a *NEW* (in original boxes, etc) BT3000. Any suggestions?

I just bought a never used, never assembled BT3000. I ran across an old(er) fella who had bought it years ago with the intention of using it as he built his house. However, his plans never came to fruition, so it sat in boxes for years. The only thing not in the box was the actual saw body. Today I assembled the saw (most of it). I have some concerns, but they are mostly insignificant.

I put the stand together; it didn't have casters. Anybody have suggestions on where to get some? Lowes?

It had all the manuals, and I put the rails on the saw, but I can't seem to find how to put the rails at zero (make zero line up with the blade). My rails have two sets of zeros. Which should I use?

It came with a router section that I can mount the router. I see that others are asking how to get a template to put my router in.

The working surface seems small. Can we order extra "blank" sections to make it larger?

Is there a way to make the slide not slide (yes, I have a reason for this)?

It came with a side extension kit and legs, but no top. I'm not sure that I'm going to use this, but in case, does anyone have the dimensions to make a top for it?

Finally, I know that this saw was made a long time ago, and it has sat since. Anything that I should look out for before starting it up? i.e. make sure it has lubrication at point X, etc.

Thanks in advance. It looks like this forum could be a new home for me!

As we say in the submarine force:

Going deep,
    Trey
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

There are many BT users on this site that can help with your questions.

Comment

• durango dude
      • Mar 2011
      • a thousand or so feet above insanity
      • 50s vintage Craftsman Contractor Saw

wow - congratulations on a great find!

Home Depot sells an accessory kit that will provide a good deal of value
      ($99 online). Go to home Depot's web site, and type BT3000 in the search box.

I'd agree on surface area not being terribly big. I bought my BT with an outfeed table - which helps some with that problem.

Submarines? My son is an ET(n) Nuke. He's aspiring to join your ranks. He's a year or so from a dolphin pin, though.
      Last edited by durango dude; 11-17-2012, 07:55 PM.

Comment

• Black wallnut
        cycling to health
        • Jan 2003
        • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
        • BT3k 1999

Congrats, welcome and enjoy. Seriously and with respect read the manual(s) that came with your saw. Many of your questions will are answered in it. Send Lchien, a Moderator and the sites most prolific poster a PM with your email address and he will email you the BT3K FAQ compiled by him over many years of many forum members experiences with this saw platform. If you can't PM him then reply again to this thread and I'll send him your email addy. (as Admin I can do that) Search youtube for bt3k or bt3000 and you can easily find the factory videos that came with the saw in digital format, if yours has the VHS or DVD it is well worth watching. The only thing that would be of concern to me is the belts. with the saw double unplugged, which is a habit you need to start now, spin the blade by hand. if there is consistent slight friction without hard or soft spots then the belts are probably still soft. Make sure your base is square and level with the saw not attached for best results; once the base is square and level mark your shop floor with this position and mount the saw solidly to the base. With the blade guard installed, or upgraded to a Sharkguard, and the blade set under the table you should be able to stand a nickle on edge and turn the saw on and off without it falling. Wear hearing protection while using and at minimum hook a shop vac to the sawdust port at the back. Instead of casters consider a true mobile base such as sold by shop fox. Unless you are fortunate like me and have a dedicated shop space without competition with cars and other things better stored outside.

Oh yeah welcome to BT3Central and SawdustZone.com! You are in the right place for the best suport for your saw to be found.
        Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• LCHIEN
          Internet Fact Checker
          • Dec 2002
          • Katy, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 vintage 1999

the SLiding miter table SMT or slide as you call it has a tab on the front edge which can be pushed down into some matching slots in the slide base to keep it locked in position, one set of slots will make it park edge-aligned with the main table portion. The tab is detent loaded so that it will stay locked or unlocked as you desire.

The extension top was intended to be shop made. Although Ryobi once sold an air flotation table top (for cutting panels) that fit perfectly.

Put the rip fence right up to the blade, that's zero width. Now you can release the rail locks and slide the rails so that zero shows under the hair line curseor of the rip fence. The cursor can be positioned on either of the two sides and you can use either zero on the tape (or any other value other than zero), the choices are so you can position the rails in a convenient place. - and you can move them any time you wish. No magic to any specific position.

The one aboslutely important thing for you to do with an old BT3000 is to lubricate the vertical ways the blade and motor elevation runs on. Use a dry lube like pure wax (johnson's paste wax, paraffin, Butcher's wax, minwax furniture wax, wiping a candle or wax paper - but no auto polish waxes) to allow this to slide up and down. THe most frequent problem with these BT300s saws is that the lube dries up and the metal brass shims that rides with the motor part and slides on the ways jams and fall out. Requires a lot of disassembly and labor to fix the slop and grinding that occurs when this happens.

A good read for you (possibly addressing your other questions) would be the BT3 FAQ which BW alluded to , see my sig line below.

Finally, if you have a early model with green/red on off buttons instead of the red cover and rocker switch, your switch has been recalled and you can still get a new one for free by calling Ryobi's 1-800 number. If you have one, look up "recall switch" here on the forum.
          Last edited by LCHIEN; 11-17-2012, 08:20 PM.
          Loring in Katy, TX USA
          If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
          BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• jdon
            Established Member
            • Feb 2010
            • Snoqualmie, Wash.
            • BT3100

Re: slide not sliding- On the front edge of the sliding miter table (SMT) you should see a black metal tab- ~ 1" wide- which can slide down into either of two slots in the base which supports the SMT. That keeps the table from sliding.

Enjoy, and nice find!

Comment

• Titaniac
              Handtools only
              • Nov 2012

You guys are great!

I posted the OP while bored in the deer stand. If I had used my head, I would have taken the manual to the stand. (brain fart)

@black wallnut: Yep, should have read the manual. Lots of info in there. I will let y'all know about the belts tomorrow. As for having the stand square, it is off - bad! I think I will have to take the saw off and loosen all of the bolts and try it again. It's baaaad.

@durango dude: nuke ET?!?! That's great! What sub is he on? I am a Senior Chief and been in the Navy for 20 years, and all 20 of them have been here on this base.

I will keep you guys posted. Thanks again for the help!

Going deep,
              Trey

Comment

• Black wallnut
                cycling to health
                • Jan 2003
                • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
                • BT3k 1999

Trey thanks for your service!
                Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• JR
                  The Full Monte
                  • Feb 2004
                  • Eugene, OR
                  • BT3000

Welcome to the BT3Central. You'll have that thing making sawdust in no time.
                  Originally posted by Titaniac
                  I am a Senior Chief and been in the Navy for 20 years, and all 20 of them have been here on this base.
                  Is that legal?

JR
                  JR

Comment

• Titaniac
                    Handtools only
                    • Nov 2012

Well, I took the saw off the base and made sure it was square. Read the manual (duh), and it did provide answers to some of the questions. But that FAQ!!! That was great!

Anyway, this saw is absolutely great! Absolutely no vibration at all.

Now I need to figure out what I'm going to do with this side table kit and its leg kit... Since they're still in their original boxes, I guess I'll throw them in the attic until I get rich and move into a house with a bigger garage.

I wouldn't mind getting a router mounting kit for it an mount my router under it. Then I could make more room in my garage by selling my Craftsman pro router table.

I did turn it on and ripped about a foot of lumber through it. It was great. I think this is going to turn into an endless hobby. I think my first project is going to be a couple of push sticks.

Thanks again for all of the support!

Going deep,
                    Trey

Comment

Working...