• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cdmango
    Established Member
    • Jan 2003
    • Burlington, Ontario, Canada.

BT3000 Resurection - Help & Suggestions Please

Well, here are some of the basic questions I posed to LCHEIN, and I'd welcome any and all opinions.

I haven't been around for some time.
    I have a 3000 in pieces in the garage and want to reassemble it right.
    I saw a link somewhere that showed how to silicone sealant (glue) the shims to the arbor guide (hope I called it the right thing!). My shims look OK, have cleaned everything up nice, so am at the put together "right" stage. Anything you can offer is appreciated. I don't want to drill and tap for shim supporting ... do you know the link I'm talking about?
    Finally, I've taken apart the stock guard and want to adapt it to be removable like Stytooner's Sharks. I want a zero clearance plate, too and my question is "Why shouldn't I try to vent sawdust that collects within the guard, back down into the front of the blade cut?"
    I've thought about this for years, on and off, and every contraption that makes sawdust "go high" leads to all kinds of collection problems. I'm thinking of ports in the front of a ZCP, or in the aluminum in front of the blade - maybe even a redirecting system built into the guard to move dust to the blade front, where 90%+ goes down into the collection system, anyway?

I hope you can picture what I'm thinking of - suggestions and comments are welcomed!
    I'll post the text of the message to the BTx forum to get other ideas and opinions, but I want to especially thank you for so many tips, tricks and ideas ... for such a long time, even when I haven't had the chance to participate like a real member. You all impress me so much with your dedication to the craft.

Thank you and kindest regards,

Gary,
    aka cdmango
    Gary

Flexible people don\'t get bent out of shape.
  • MarcNTyme
    Forum Newbie
    • Jun 2012
    • Space Coast of Florida
    • Ryobi BT3000

Here is a link for a shim adhesive process. I'm not sure it's the one you are looking for but it might be helpful. http://bt3000.com/Shims/
    Regards and good luck in your resurrection project

Comment

• cdmango
      Established Member
      • Jan 2003
      • Burlington, Ontario, Canada.

Perfect!

Originally posted by MarcNTyme
      Here is a link for a shim adhesive process. I'm not sure it's the one you are looking for but it might be helpful. http://bt3000.com/Shims/
      Regards and good luck in your resurrection project
      You sir, are a godsend. Thank you so much, I've been looking for that link for 2 weeks.

Best Regards,
      Gary

Flexible people don\'t get bent out of shape.

Comment

• Skaning
        Forum Newbie
        • Nov 2010

The trick with using adhesive to hold the "shims" is cleanliness on the attaching surfaces. In my case I used rubber/contact cement. You should use something that's a little flexible. While we call them shims, they also serve as bearings. Realize that there is an adjustment there. At least on my 3000 there is a pair of adjustment setscrews behind each shim to adjust the clearance

Comment

• LCHIEN
          Internet Fact Checker
          • Dec 2002
          • Katy, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 vintage 1999

some people have proposed a "swiss cheese" throat plate with holes positioned so as to cause dust in the guard to be pulled into the chassis below for collection when there is DC attached to the case and or the shroud. No sure about the results.
          Loring in Katy, TX USA
          If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
          BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

Working...