Clear All
  • MarcNTyme
    Forum Newbie
    • Jun 2012
    • Space Coast of Florida
    • Ryobi BT3000

Out feed table mounting

Hello,
    I'm a new member of this forum but have looked in from time to time and thought it was time to join in the fun. I have a BT3000 with almost every option and accessory accumulated over time at yard sales, Craigslist ect.

A question I would like to ask is has anyone had problems with the out feed table hanging on the rear rail?

I didn't like the way the table was mounted since it represents a fair amount of weight suspended from this rail and all the accessories, the rip fence and the SMT all mount on and use some surface on the rear and front rails for their registration and alignment.

To address my concerns, I made a new mounting for my O.F. T. which doesn't subject the rear rail to any stresses but still allows the table to function as it should.

The mount consists of two 2 x 2 uprights approx. 33" long mounted to the standard BT3K saw base on either side of the rear opening. Two 24.5 long cross pieces are placed between the uprights, one near the bottom just below the opening and one near the middle just above the opening. A 1 x 4 x33" long is positioned level with the top of the vertical members and centered with them. A pair of gussets mounted between the uprights and the bottom of the 1 x 3 stiffen the system. Pocket screws and glue were used in the assembly.*

The top of the 1 x 3 was set to be parallel to and about 3/16 below the bottom of the rear rail. This allows the top surface of the O. F. table hinges to be on the same plane as when they were mounted to the bottom of the rear rail.*

The hinges were relocated about 2" further to the rear of their original position. This allows the rear SMT mounting clamps clearance to operate no matter where the SMT is mounted. This is an improvement over the original mounting.
    An additional benefit of this new mounting is that the SMT miter bar will now move pass the center of the blade when the O.F table is raised.*

Anyway, I am interested in hearing from others about issues like this and how they were resolved. Also I apologize if I ran on too long in this post. As I said I'm new to he forum and just wanted to air one of my experiences with the BT 3.*

Regards to all,
  • toolguy1000
    Veteran Member
    • Mar 2009
    • westchester cnty, ny

welcome to the forum. lots of good info here for bt3 users. sounds like a nice solution, but a few pics would help flesh out the effectiveness of the application. just my $.02.
    there's a solution to every problem.......you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

• MarcNTyme
      Forum Newbie
      • Jun 2012
      • Space Coast of Florida
      • Ryobi BT3000

Thanks for the resonse
      Pictures are always helpful. I was so pleased with the way the fix worked out that I posted without taking the time to document it. I will post a couple today if I can.

I also found a machining error on the main table (center section) that may be of interest to other members.

I will get some photos of that area as well to include with a post of that particular problem.

Regards.

Comment

• leehljp
        Just me
        • Dec 2002
        • Tunica, MS
        • BT3000/3100

Originally posted by MarcNTyme

I also found a machining error on the main table (center section) that may be of interest to other members.

I will get some photos of that area as well to include with a post of that particular problem.
        I would be interested to know this also. I have a BT3000 and 3100 as I had two locations in which I used them. The 3100 came with the holes for the adjuster on the sliding miter table drilled too far apart. Due to circumstances, I didn't have time to return it, so I lived with it by fixing the problem. Two or three others had problems like this over the years.

It helps when the precise problem is noticed and reported. Thanks. Looking forward to hearing the problem.
        Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• durango dude
          • Mar 2011
          • a thousand or so feet above insanity
          • 50s vintage Craftsman Contractor Saw

Thanks to my PC Jointer, the OFT gets along with the SMT on my BT.

To elaborate -
          If I align my OFT with my BT, the OFT conflicts with the clamps of my SMT.

Fortunately, my PC jointer is exactly the right height, so I store it right behind my BT, underneath (and supporting) the OFT.

If it wasn't providing lots of work space (which I use), I'd say the OFT is a PITA (no - not talking about middle-eastern bread). However, with my scarce work space, I appreciate the OFT.

(I'm having "one of those days" --- promise it won't happen often)

Comment

• MarcNTyme
            Forum Newbie
            • Jun 2012
            • Space Coast of Florida
            • Ryobi BT3000

Originally posted by durango dude
            Thanks to my PC Jointer, the OFT gets along with the SMT on my BT.

To elaborate -
            If I align my OFT with my BT, the OFT conflicts with the clamps of my SMT.

Fortunately, my PC jointer is exactly the right height, so I store it right behind my BT, underneath (and supporting) the OFT.

If it wasn't providing lots of work space (which I use), I'd say the OFT is a PITA (no - not talking about middle-eastern bread). However, with my scarce work space, I appreciate the OFT.

(I'm having "one of those days" --- promise it won't happen often)
            I had the same problem with the original rail mount for the OFT.
            That's one of the good things about my new mount , it eliminates the interference with the SMT clamps.
            Sounds like you found a good solution as well.

Comment

• LCHIEN
              Internet Fact Checker
              • Dec 2002
              • Katy, TX, USA.
              • BT3000 vintage 1999

I thought the outfeed table was one of the less thought-out things on the BT3000.
              The logical place to put the OFT is right behind the saw, with the sides of the OFT about spaced equally behind the saw and the two outside tables in a normal placement.
              When you do this the left hinge ends up directly behind the SMT so the SMT can't go back even when the OFT is folded.

I ended up moving the left hinge to a place more in back of the main table, drilling some new holes in the OFT to take the bracket which could attach anywhere to the rear rail.
              So in the new position,
              1. the SMT slides back, far enough for most cuts even when the table is up, and all the way when the table is down.
              2. the table is a little more floppy side to side due to the reduced distance between hinges when you raise or lower it, but with no apparent effect on usabililty or stability once erected.
              3. outfeed boards pass cleanly over the left hinge which is behind and below the main table, no problems.
              4. got an extra set of holes in the OFT, no biggie.

I don't ever take my OFT down, these days.
              Loring in Katy, TX USA
              If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
              BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• MarcNTyme
                Forum Newbie
                • Jun 2012
                • Space Coast of Florida
                • Ryobi BT3000

I know what you mean.
                By repositioning the OFT mount to the frame I built, I gained some extra room. So now the hinge behind the SMT no longer interferes with the SMT clamps, the miter fence goes pass the center of the blade when the table is up and I gained some extra room for the 4" DC hose when the table os down.
                However, the main reason for the frame was to remove the OFT mounting from the rear rail. After my experience with the front rail, I didn't want any possible stress related problems with the rear rail.
                I even put an extra pair of legs on my wide table to remove the weight from the rails on the saw. I have the down draft table and put some heavy items on it to sand and finish. I have a little more peace of mind now knowing that the four legs are carrying the load. The down side is that the time required to aligned the wide table rails to the saw rails means that I don't want to move the saw saw even a little and I have to be careful about bumping the wide table setup.
                With my shop jammed into a 1 car condo garage, this is not an easy thing to do.

Oh well nobody said that having fun would be easy.

PS. I love this forum for all the divergent views, generous help and ideas that border on genius. I'm glad I finally joined.

Comment

Working...