• Show
Clear All
  • rvette79
    Handtools only
    • May 2012
    • Missouri
    • BT3100-1

BT3100 Belt replacement

I have been using the BT3100 for several years and have not had a belt break. First time for anything. I have reviewed several methods of replacing the belts and will attempt this "easy" task. The question I have is concerning the creation of a zero clearance plate. The belts broke when I was following the instruction manual and using the original blank plate. Am I missing something or was it just time for the belt to break? Any suggestions!! Thanks
  • JimD
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2003
    • Lexington, SC.

Mine broke because an offcut fell into the belts. I was making a raised panel type of cut on some drawer fronts. I don't know why else they break. I broke both of them early, replaced them and ordered spares and now have gone several years with no breakage.

The main thing I needed for the replacement, other than the parts, was patience.

Jim

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

Many people break the belts when trying to cut their zero clearance plates. THis happens when the plate contacts the blade before the saw is started and keeps the blade from starting spinning - instead the belts break.

So when cutting zero clearance plates, its important to make sure that the blade spins freely before stating the saw - of course that's a bit hard to so when the blade is all covered up. The problem is that the ZCTP is thicker in the middle - sometimes even with the blade lowered to the max it can contact the ZCTP - some people route a groove in the middle of the ZCTP to allow the blade to spin.

You can also measure this way: Measure the thickness of the ZCTP in the center, using digital calipers to get it accurately. Lower the blade so that the tip of the top tooth is straight up and use a straight edge to make it exactly the height of the table surface. Count the handle turns, better yet - the handle half turns as you lower the blade all the way to the bottom. The elevation screw is 12 TPI, so each half turn is .042" - multiply the number of half turns by .042", then subtract the thickness of the ZCTP, the positive difference is the clearance you have to the ZCTP - better be more than a few thousandths!

If the clearance is zero or negative, then the blade will be contacting the plate and likely you will break your belts. If there is no clearance, some people resort to installing a 7.5" blade from their circular saw to start the cut... might still be a problem since these are often thinner than the 10" blades.

The other reasons belts break in the BT3 are because they got old and dry-rotted (heat and drying out will hasten this) and because the blade got locked up somehow and the belts did their job to protect the motor from burning out. The blade will freeze from being jammed from improper use of splitter, warped wood with internal stress closes up around the blade, small cutoff jams the blade in the blade well, etc.

All these problems are in the BT3 FAQ... see my sig line below.
      Last edited by LCHIEN; 05-26-2012, 05:37 PM.
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Stytooner
        Roll Tide RIP Lee
        • Dec 2002
        • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
        • BT3100

You know belts can deteriorate with time, but the ones on my 3000 are still fine as are the ones on my 3100.
        The 3000 is probably 13 years old. So these belts do last. It is usually mechanical failure in nature like Loring detailed.
        ZCTP's are notorious belt eaters.
        Lee

Comment

• rvette79
          Handtools only
          • May 2012
          • Missouri
          • BT3100-1

Belt Replacment

Thanks for your quick reply. I just got back from vacation and will tackle this project when I get the parts. Thanks again for your help.

Comment

• teleguy11
            Handtools only
            • Jul 2012

Does anyone know a good cheap source for replacement belts?

Thanks

Comment

Working...