X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cwphoto
    Forum Newbie
    • Oct 2011

Extention rails (wide table kit) for 21829

Looking for a pair of extension rails for my Craftsmen 21829. Robert services seems to be the only source I could find. Does anyone know of others? I'm also curious about a standard set of rails from a BT300 or 3100. It appears that 3000s were raw aluminum in color, whereas the 3100s are black in color. I assume there's probably some hardware out there to join two rails together, but where? Parts from Ryobi?

Seems like the wide extension table kit is a better way to go for the hardware alone, Although I really don't need the full width of these rails. Would just like to add about 20 or so inches, and a standard set of rails would work if I could figure out a way to join them together.

Are the 3000 and 3100 rails the same profile as the 21829? Would be nice to get something matching, so I'm assuming that's the 3000 and not the 3100? It's not a dealbreaker but, still would be nice to have them match in appearance.

Thx,

Troy
  • pelligrini
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2007
    • Fort Worth, TX
    • Craftsman 21829

I don't think craftsman ever offered a matching wide table kit for the 21829. The 21829 rails have some slight differences from the Ryobi BTs and the earlier 22811. All the important parts are compatable between them. Check this thread for some good info on the rails: http://www.bt3central.com/showthread.php?t=45948 Any of the rails will pretty much swap between models, there are some cosmetic differences.

You're going to pay a premium to just get 48" 21829 rails, unless you're really lucky.

There are a lot of ways to connect the rails without getting a wide table kit too.
    Erik

Comment

• cwphoto
      Forum Newbie
      • Oct 2011

It appears to me that the 3100 profile is identical to the 21829 when I follow the thread link you posted. There was mention of different wall thickness, but I'm not sure if that thickness difference extends inward or outward, but I'm assuming inward. In other words, the outside profile is the same, but the inside dimension is not. I would think this would cause some problems joining two rails together though. Shimming things 1/16 of an inch would probably not be a major deal though.

It does appear there are number of people selling used 3000 rails on ebay, but not too many 3100s out there.

Troy

Comment

• pelligrini
        Veteran Member
        • Apr 2007
        • Fort Worth, TX
        • Craftsman 21829

The outside profiles are about the same with some extremely minor differences like corner radiuses.

I have a half set of BT3000 rails on my 21829, as you can see in those photos. They give me almost a 6' table that still folds up. I used a leg from a roller stand to support the wing. http://www.bt3central.com/showthread...092#post342092
        Last edited by pelligrini; 05-12-2012, 03:14 PM.
        Erik

Comment

• cwphoto
          Forum Newbie
          • Oct 2011

Originally posted by pelligrini
          The outside profiles are about the same with some extremely minor differences like corner radiuses.

I have a half set of BT3000 rails on my 21829, as you can see in those photos. They give me almost a 6' table that still folds up. I used a leg from a roller stand to support the wing. http://www.bt3central.com/showthread...092#post342092
          Now you have me confused! I thought the profile for the 3000 was the one that was narrower? Did you mean to say 3100? I thought 3100s were black in color, and your picture clearly show the raw aluminum color. Perhaps you are using the 3000, and the profiles just don't match? otherwise, I am totally confused by what you have going on there. I remember seeing these pictures when I was asking about router tables tops. I like the angle iron ideal to support the top and may utilize that for an extension table.

I am also finishing up here in the next hour my dual miter slots, so I will post some photos. I did not want to have my digital camera hanging around the sawdust to show progress pics, but can at least post some photos of the finished project, which I think turned out pretty well. Very similar to your own, without the T-slots.

Troy

Comment

• pelligrini
            Veteran Member
            • Apr 2007
            • Fort Worth, TX
            • Craftsman 21829

My current saw extension is a cut down 3000 rail, which are narrower and are not black. One of those photos from the second thread shows a couple leg kits on a set of black BT3100 rails. The photo of the saw standing up is with the half rail extensions.
            Erik

Comment

• cwphoto
              Forum Newbie
              • Oct 2011

It dawned on me after I sent that last message that you must have the mismatch profile rail installed. I'm assuming that where it really matters as in lockdown of the miter fence and SMT, everything still works fine? It looks like I can get a standard 41 inch extension rail for about $20, so may just go this route, as you did. I really don't need a full 72 inch extension, but adding an extra 2 feet would be great. The saw really need some more support on the left. BTW, what size is the angle iron you used to support the top? I may pick up a piece over at HD, when I grab some other supplies later today.

Thx,

Troy

Comment

• pelligrini
                Veteran Member
                • Apr 2007
                • Fort Worth, TX
                • Craftsman 21829

I think it was 1-1/2x2-1/2 galvanized angle.
                Erik

Comment

• LCHIEN
                  Internet Fact Checker
                  • Dec 2002
                  • Katy, TX, USA.
                  • BT3000 vintage 1999

This is the place to ask questions about the Ryobi BT3 series table saws. Please limit the posts to this topic only.

in the above thread, 6th post, Pellegrini made a wonderful side by side profile picture of BT3000, BT3100 and 21829 front and rear rails for comparison.

Rear rail:
                  outside profiles all the same.
                  The 21829 rail is a thimmer wall extrusion so lining up with a BT3000 or BT3100 rail with internal braces would be problematic; lining up with strips or angle iron on the backside and bottom should be OK.

Front rail:
                  Where the tables and accessories mount, the top, front and inside all match.
                  The BT3100 front lip extends longer and lower but nothing mounts there.
                  The 21829 matches the BT3100 outside but the extrusion is thinner so using inside mating hardware is out. Using angle iron or two flat strips on the inside and bottom seems to be the way to go.
                  Last edited by LCHIEN; 05-13-2012, 11:33 AM.
                  Loring in Katy, TX USA
                  If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                  BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

Working...