• Show
Clear All
  • JoeyGee
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2005
    • Sylvania, OH, USA.
    • BT3100-1

BT3 Router Table Extension Fence

I am in the very early stages of planning a router table extension on my BT3100. FOr those of you who have done this, how do you attach the fence?

I am thinking of making the router table fence as an extension to the BT3 fence, one that would maybe go over the fence or bolt on to it. This way I wouldn't have to worry about putting in T track for the fence. I would also like to get a micro-positioner for the fence, which would be nice for the saw and router table.

Any pics you have of similar setups would be great.
    Joe
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

in the past I've always used the BT router table platform for bearing guided cuts, not with a fence. Still, FWIW, I'd offer this advice:

Make sure you have the rear rail locking gizmo - part of the router kit, goes under the table to clamp to the rear rail, keeps the end of the table from moving or pivoting from the front lock only which would change the distance to the fence with disastrous consequences. If you don't have the kit you can probably make something.

For a fence I would try to keep the weight down, you don't want to be mounting ten pounds of stuff on a the BT3 rip fence and then try to microposition it. Instead of an over the top thing, use either the right side T-slots to fasten your fence. You'll need four t-nuts to mount two halves of a split fence.

There was an individual selling a micropositioner on ebay this week.

Sears still sells it here
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• JoeyGee
      Veteran Member
      • Nov 2005
      • Sylvania, OH, USA.
      • BT3100-1

Thanks. I probably wasn't too clear in my OP. I am building an extension table out of melamine and will probably use aluminum angle attached to the table and then T-Nuts and bolts to the rails. I do have the connecting piece from the original router kit. Would I still need it? I didn't think I would ever use it, so I haven't looked at it in years.
      Joe

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

as long as both ends are anchored to the rail and both rails are anchored to the saw, there should be no problem, I though you were planning to use the BT3 aux/router table to mount your router.

If you are building your own table, you could put some t-slots into the table to mount a fence.
        Loring in Katy, TX USA
        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.

Comment

• Black wallnut
          cycling to health
          • Jan 2003
          • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
          • BT3k 1999

Three options, all of which others have used not relying on the rip fence:
          • T-track in your shop built extension
          • make your fence longer and use the front and rear rails to hold it (Thom2/ Popeye method)
          • press in t-nuts with two holes and a fence with a flat base with on hole and one arced slot. (my first method)

Keep in mind a Router fence does not need to be square to the table, just straight. With the third method one fixed hole the fence can pivot and attach with a second threaded knob through the arced slot. If you have ever seen the Router Workshop they use this technique although with modified c-clamps.

For visual reference: http://blackwalnutjigs.com/routerfence.asp
          Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• JR
            The Full Monte
            • Feb 2004
            • Eugene, OR
            • BT3000

Mounting a router in an extension table on the BT3X presents a series of compromises. There is no obvious best way to do it. Check out this thread from when I bult my extension:

This forum is the place to post photos of your completed projects. Please try to limit pictures to 540px wide or less so that is is viewable to all. Off-topic threads in this forum will periodically be purged so as to keep it "clean".

I like having the router table mounted to the BT base and side of the case. It means I can move the rails with a minumum of fuss.

I did not like connecting the router fence to the rip fence. I found that the router fence would rise up when using feather boards on the face of the fence.

I eventually replaced the base plate for the router fence to extend over the BT rails and now use T-nuts to hold down the router fence. It's still not perfect because torquing down the hold-downs tends to cause the table top to move below its ideal position co-planar with the BT3X top. The base plate can also flex if you dont' have stand-offs perfectly fitted to the distance between the base plate and the railes. I have also experienced the fence moving if I fail to torque the hold-downs properly.

I'd recommend t-track in the extension table for positioning the fence.

Also the length of the fence should be substantially greater than the distance between the rails, or else setting up a stopped cut can be a challenge even on very short pieces.

HTH,
            JR
            Last edited by JR; 05-12-2012, 11:17 AM.
            JR

Comment

• LCHIEN
              Internet Fact Checker
              • Dec 2002
              • Katy, TX, USA.
              • BT3000 vintage 1999

JR and BW all make good points.
              Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

• cabinetman
                Gone but not Forgotten RIP
                • Jun 2006
                • So. Florida
                • Delta

Whether you use the fence or not, or make an auxiliary fence, I would recommend making a guard that fits above the bit used. It can be a simple guard, like a piece of Plexiglas...for example.

Comment

Working...