• Show
Clear All
  • mrpedersen
    Forum Newbie
    • Aug 2010
    • Warburg, Alberta
    • Craftsman 315.274130

Stripped Screw Removal

TS maintenance time, I'm just starting to replace / clean the shims on my TS. I have read & reviewed the process as posted / published by Black Walnut.

I have the dust plate off and removed 3 of the screws from the blade guide, however I managed to strip the phillips slots on the last screw, top left.. I did give it some soft thuds with a rubber mallet to start but maybe the tip of my screwdriver was either the wrong size or worn.

What would be the best plan to get this out / guide off, I'm not sure if the guide portion is threaded or not.. Need some advice.

Thanks
    Glenn
  • BigguyZ
    Veteran Member
    • Jul 2006
    • Minneapolis, MN
    • Craftsman, older type w/ cast iron top

I highly reccomend this. Also sold at HD.

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

not to criticize but I'm hard at picturing what parts you are having trouble with... those are not common names...

Dust plate = THroat plate????
      Blade guide = guide holder???
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• T...K21
        Forum Newbie
        • Feb 2012
        • Southern Idaho
        • BT3100

I use to play/ compete with 1/8th scale Nitro RC buggys years ago and had problems with the smaller aluminum countersunk Allen type screws filling with dirt and debris making it difficult to remove and often strip the head of the screws.

I was usually able to use a Dremel with a cut-off wheel and grind a slot in the head of the screw and use a flat head screw driver to remove it. If the head was beyond that I used a screw extractor that was slightly smaller than the screw itself. The set I used came with a drill bit and a tapered reverse rotating spiral cut bit/ shank. Only draw back I had was when I wasn’t centered on the screw I would damage part of the thread in the screw hole. When that occurred, I used a tap to re-thread and clean any burs in the screw hole.

I got my last set from an auto parts store. I don’t remember how much but it wasn’t very expensive.

Hope that helps you, T

Comment

• mrpedersen
          Forum Newbie
          • Aug 2010
          • Warburg, Alberta
          • Craftsman 315.274130

HI, LCHIEN, my mistake, it's the dust shroud and guide holder. I stripped one of the guide holder screw heads. Thanks for the FAQ update.

I'm quite sure that the reverse drill type will do the trick, there's still enough metal there to grab onto, I'll take it easy tho.. will pick up a set of the Grabit's for my own safety and piece of mind, will let you know later.

thnks again.

glenn

Comment

• os1kne
            • Jan 2003
            • Atlanta, GA
            • BT3100

I don't know if you have an impact driver (ID) or not, so this may not be useful. I've had great luck with using an ID to remove screws with a head that is not completely stripped head. Often, it just takes a bump or 2 of the rotational impacts to spin it enough to be manageable. If that doesn't work, it's time for the screw extractor or drill-out.

Good luck!
            Bill

Comment

• Black wallnut
              cycling to health
              • Jan 2003
              • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
              • BT3k 1999

Glenn if the left handed drill does not work you can just drill the head off and then with the guide holder out of the way remove the remains with a vice grip.
              Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• mrpedersen
                Forum Newbie
                • Aug 2010
                • Warburg, Alberta
                • Craftsman 315.274130

Black Walnut: Yes, thats the route I'll do, after looking at double holes in the guide holder I realized there and no threads in the front section. Just wanted to make sure with this little process so I dont create any more damage for myself.

glenn

Comment

• mrpedersen
                  Forum Newbie
                  • Aug 2010
                  • Warburg, Alberta
                  • Craftsman 315.274130

Well the drill out worked well for me, the guide was a little sticky to remove but the help of a rubber mallet and a wood pry at the bottom it came off. A little dirty and sticky in there, I've been cutting a lot of pine the last year. I'll open the other side do a clean out as well and check the elevation mechanism at that time..

Lubricating the parts?? I have a Teflon spray that I use on my bandsaw blades, can this be used on the shims and matching sliding parts??

thanks again
                  Glenn

Comment

• durango dude
                    • Mar 2011
                    • a thousand or so feet above insanity
                    • 50s vintage Craftsman Contractor Saw

Been there done that ---- I started with a HF screw extraction kit (BAD idea - the drill bits are lousy --- although the extractors are fine). Eventually went to my local ACE and picked up a few metal boring bits.

Sounds like you're set for now.

Comment

Working...