X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cwphoto
    Forum Newbie
    • Oct 2011

Hinges for accessory table

I e-mailed Robert services a number of months ago about hinges for the accessory folding table. I figured this was the most important part of that accessory package, and shipping a piece of MDF through the mail would probably be pretty expensive.

He finally got back to me, and now has those hinges on his site found here:

Just look on the left hand column. They are not inexpensive, but they are also rather unique. You will still need a couple of extra large T-nuts to attach them as Robert is only selling the hinges. You will of course need to construct your own tabletop and leg.

You can slide the accessory table anywhere along the length of the rear rail. I have yet to devise a support leg, but thinking something that would fold up inside the table top itself would be nice. I'm probably going to use quarter inch wood for the top with three-quarter inch stiffener's around the perimeter to keep the weight down.

This to me, is a nice little accessory for the saw. Seems like one is always needing extra support at the rear of the saw.

Cheers,

Troy
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

just for consistency sake, the thing that goes out the back is a FOlding outfeed table.
    The Auxiliary table is sometimes called an Accessory table.

I guess the price for the hinges is per hinge, two required.

I have a Folding outfeed table, it has a single folding leg to support the back end.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• cwphoto
      Forum Newbie
      • Oct 2011

Originally posted by LCHIEN
      just for consistency sake, the thing that goes out the back is a FOlding outfeed table.
      The Auxiliary table is sometimes called an Accessory table.

I guess the price for the hinges is per hinge, two required.

I have a Folding outfeed table, it has a single folding leg to support the back end.
      Thanks for the clarification. Out-feed table makes more sense, as that is essentially what it is. I frequently get the terms Ryobi uses confused. You are also correct that two hinges are required, they are not sold in pairs in other words. May I ask what dimensions of your out-feed table are? Do you find that the single leg causes any stability problems? Thanks so much!

Troy

Comment

• pelligrini
        Veteran Member
        • Apr 2007
        • Fort Worth, TX
        • Craftsman 21829

$25 plus shipping is pretty steep for a couple hinges. Check out t-nuts.com for the fasteners if you don't know about them already.

There have been others that have made a folding table without the ryobi hinges:
        This is the place to ask questions about the Ryobi BT3 series table saws. Please limit the posts to this topic only.

There used to be a bunch of them, especially Gugie's, but the links are broken now.

Mine doesn't fold, but it comes off the saw very easily:
        This is the place to ask questions about the Ryobi BT3 series table saws. Please limit the posts to this topic only.
        Last edited by pelligrini; 02-20-2012, 05:58 PM.
        Erik

Comment

• cwphoto
          Forum Newbie
          • Oct 2011

Originally posted by pelligrini
          $25 plus shipping is pretty steep for a couple hinges. Check out t-nuts.com for the fasteners if you don't know about them already.

There have been others that have made a folding table without the ryobi hinges:

There used to be a bunch of them, especially Gugie's, but the links are broken now.

Mine doesn't fold, but it comes off the saw very easily:
          http://www.bt3central.com/showthread.php?t=41179
          Yes, I agree that the admission price was a bit steep. I was originally going to use the vertical part of the rear rail, (Even purchased the t-nuts), but thought it might put too much stress on that area of the rail.

So, I'm sure there are lots of great solutions to the problem, and the links you provided prove that. I can also some say sometimes it's nice just to go with a stock solution and move on with other projects. Time is precious too.

I spent quite a bit of time on my accessory router table for example that fit between the rails, but when I saw all these hinges show up, it seem like a quick and efficient way to get the job done.

I mostly provided the link as I thought someone else may find it useful. Robert is a pretty nice guy to work with as well. He called me long distance on his dime, and we we talked shop for a while. I doubt he's making a killing selling Ryobi parts.

Best,

Troy

Comment

• LCHIEN
            Internet Fact Checker
            • Dec 2002
            • Katy, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by cwphoto
            Thanks for the clarification. Out-feed table makes more sense, as that is essentially what it is. I frequently get the terms Ryobi uses confused. You are also correct that two hinges are required, they are not sold in pairs in other words. May I ask what dimensions of your out-feed table are? Do you find that the single leg causes any stability problems? Thanks so much!

Troy
            40W x 30 deep.
            Two hinges plus one leg = stable.

The original Outfeed table had the hinges mounted so that when the OFT was directly behind the saw, the left hinge was under the normal position for the SMT which restricted the SMT movement. I moved the left hand hinge more to the center and behind the blade and its still stable and allows a reasonable but full range on the SMT.
            Loring in Katy, TX USA
            If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
            BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

Working...