• Show
Clear All
  • CaptRandy
    Forum Newbie
    • Apr 2011
    • Warrington PA/Ocean City NJ
    • skil

Mounted saw

Mounted saw on a wood platform like Jeff Browning's and plan to put rollers on bottom of carcase. Wanted ideas on casters. 2 of them swivel the other two are stationary. Should the swivels be in front and the stationary ones be on rear of box unit? And which way should I face the stationary wheels front to back or side to side?
    Hopefully someone has encountered this quandary and has an insightful opinion.
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

when you roll the unit you will want to be able to go thru as narrow an area as possible therefore put the fixed casters at one end and the swivel ones at the other end so you can push the skinny side of the saw system in the direction along the long axis of the saw.
    If there's a heavy end then put the fixed ones at the heavy end, it will be easier to steer pushing the light swivel end right and left.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• CaptRandy
      Forum Newbie
      • Apr 2011
      • skil

Thanks, will do it that way. I was over thinking it until you pointed it out.

Comment

• Pappy
        The Full Monte
        • Dec 2002
        • San Marcos, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 (x2)

I built a mobile base for my band saw with fixed casters on one end and found it hard to steer in close quarters. All the rest of my tools/equipment ride on 4 swivels. Much easier to steer and park. The jointer, edge sander, and band saw are on a lift type base. I have lifts made, but not installed for the table saw. The drill press, drum sander/planer cart, and router table have dual lock casters at the front corners.

Casters is not the place to scrimp on the cost. Casters from HF and the box stores have inferior bearings on the swivels and won't handle any where near the claimed capacity. For lighter loads, I use the red poly casters from Grizzly. About the same quality as the ones sold by Woodcraft but at around 1/2 the costs. My heavier loads ride on Darnell Rose casters. Around $12 - $15 each plus shipping but the quality makes them worth the price in my mind. Also, Darnell Rose will custom build casters to your specs.
        Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
        Fools because they have to say something.
        Plato

Comment

• CaptRandy
          Forum Newbie
          • Apr 2011
          • skil

Have a Grainger around the corner will check out what they have.

Comment

• RAV2
            Established Member
            • Aug 2007
            • Massachusetts

Harbor Freight - combine a coupon and they can't be beat!

Comment

• Pappy
              The Full Monte
              • Dec 2002
              • San Marcos, TX, USA.
              • BT3000 (x2)

Originally posted by RAV2
              Harbor Freight - combine a coupon and they can't be beat!
              I wouldn't put HF casters under anything I planned to actually move.
              Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
              Fools because they have to say something.
              Plato

Comment

• LCHIEN
                Internet Fact Checker
                • Dec 2002
                • Katy, TX, USA.
                • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by Pappy
                I wouldn't put HF casters under anything I planned to actually move.
                +1 on that. Lots of good casters out there, but HF has mined the low end on these and life with bad casters is miserable. I'd buy any number of things HF but I won't trust their casters even at a low price plus an additional discount. Too hard to change your mind once they're in use!
                Loring in Katy, TX USA
                If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• CaptRandy
                  Forum Newbie
                  • Apr 2011
                  • skil

I actually took a set off of my Snap On roller box and used them. The roller box is in a corner and never moves.

Comment

Working...