• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jstevens
    Established Member
    • Dec 2003
    • Ardmore, PA, USA.

How flat should a ZCTP be?

One of my dumber questions: how flat should a ZCTP be? I just bought an aftermarket ZCTP for my BT3100, and it has a slight crown, maybe 3/64". Is that going to be a problem?

Regards,

John
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

seems like a lot to me. Mostly a problem for cutting dadoes tenons and non-thru cut stuff.
    Its not to hard to make your own. some guys have taken flooring scraps which are pretty flat and made ZCTPs from them.
    MDF is also very flat
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Cochese
      Veteran Member
      • Jun 2010

See if you can use some equal and opposite deflection to get it more in spec.
      I have a little blog about my shop

Comment

• JSUPreston
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2005
        • Montgomery, AL.
        • Delta 36-979 w/Biesemyere fence kit making it a 36-982. Previous saw was BT3100-1.

Is it crowning because of it being too snug? If so, I would think a couple of passes over some sand paper might shave it down enough to let it fit better.
        "It's a dog eat dog world out there, and I'm wearing Milk-Bone underwear."- Norm (from Cheers)

Eat beef-because the west wasn't won on salad.

Comment

• cabinetman
          Gone but not Forgotten RIP
          • Jun 2006
          • So. Florida
          • Delta

I would want it flat.

Comment

• jstevens
            Established Member
            • Dec 2003
            • Ardmore, PA, USA.

Hi guys, thanks for all your suggestions. It's made of a plastic-like material, slippery like UHMW, so I doubt it can be sanded or otherwise shaped. Now that I've measured it against a straight edge, I can tell it's crowned a good 1/16"

Yeah, I think I want it flatter than that.

Regards,

John

Comment

• Knottscott
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2004
              • Rochester, NY.
              • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

A throat insert is a pretty significant component in the system. If it's not flat, or if it flexes, it'll effect the cuts (but the blade usually takes the blame! ).
              Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• RodKirby
                Veteran Member
                • Dec 2002
                • Melbourne, Victoria, Australia.
                • Mao Shan TSC-10RAS

Originally posted by Knottscott
                A throat insert is a pretty significant component in the system. If it's not flat, or if it flexes, it'll effect the cuts (but the blade usually takes the blame! ).
                ditto - ditto, and...

If you attempt to force the work down, to flatten it, as you're feeding the work - could be dangerous!
                Downunder ... 1" = 25.4mm

Comment

• Stytooner
                  Roll Tide RIP Lee
                  • Dec 2002
                  • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
                  • BT3100

This is one of my plates. I just checked the rest of the batch I have here and they are the same way.
                  These should be flat or have the crown down.
                  It is a QC issue on my part and a failure to follow instructions on my Son's part.
                  Sometimes the plastic material does have a slight bend one way or another for various different reasons. Heat, storage and shipping can have an effect.

These are now all totally made on my cnc router. I cut the blanks out on the BT first, but after that it's all machined on the router in steps.
                  The first step before mounting these on the router jig is to crown them. All crowns are SUPPOSED to go down on the plate, but up in the jig. The jig holds them flat. This lets the plates level out when installed. Normally there is no crown to speak of, so this is why he probably overlooked it. He isn't quite as aware of why these need to be done this way as I am, but
                  he soon will be.

We will be milling a new batch soon and I will include another plate along with the rest of your other order, John.
                  In the meantime though, if you have a hair dryer, you may be able to get this one working correctly by reversing that crown.

Support both ends of the plate leaving space under the middle. Heat up the whole plate with emphasis on the center. Add some weight to the middle once warmed up and let sit to cool.
                  This should give a crown the other way and allow it to sit flat once the ends are screwed down.
                  My apologies on this.
                  Last edited by Stytooner; 10-18-2011, 08:35 AM.
                  Lee

Comment

• jstevens
                    Established Member
                    • Dec 2003
                    • Ardmore, PA, USA.

Hi, Lee. I didn't identify the manufacturer on purpose--I know you're a good guy and I always trusted that you would take care of any defect if there was one.

I would have brought this to your attention w/o posting here except I didn't want to waste your time if there was not truly a problem, and I thought that I could inquire here without affecting your name or your business. You're not only a good businessman but a gentleman as well. There really is no need for any apology--anyone can make a mistake, so IMO it's not the existence of a mistake that matters, but how the mistakes are corrected. Thank you very much for taking care of this "hiccup." I'll try your suggested fix and get back to you--if it works, then no need to send a replacement.

For those who have been reading this thread, here are some important things to know if before making any judgment on Lee's product. Aside from the crown, the ZCTP is a beautiful piece of work, very precisely machined and nicely finished. Ordering was easy, and I received a discount using the code that was on the home page of Lee's new web site. I received the product within days after I ordered, so Lee probably shipped right away.

I didn't mention these things in my original post because my only purpose was to figure out whether it was normal to have some upward bowing in an aftermarket ZCTP. Now that the manufacturer's identity has been revealed, it's only fair that I mention the positives as well as the one and only negative.

Regards,

John
                    Last edited by jstevens; 10-18-2011, 08:28 PM.

Comment

• jdon
                      Established Member
                      • Feb 2010
                      • Snoqualmie, Wash.
                      • BT3100

The two preceding posts epitomize what a great and exceptional forum this is!

Comment

Working...