X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • eray1066
    Handtools only
    • Aug 2011

Motor is cooked

A less than astute person (I am being kind) overheated my table saw and has ruined the windings. I see where you can get a new BT3000 motor assembly for about $248 plus shipping. Seems too much for such a weak motor. Is there a more robust motor that can be installed into this saw? If not is it better to part out or take the aluminum to a scrap yard?
  • leehljp
    Just me
    • Dec 2002
    • Tunica, MS
    • BT3000/3100

Many people part out their BT here and recoup some cost towards another saw. Also, if you are not in a big hurry, there is about one every other month here with a good motor for sale at a much more reasonable price.

One thing that has been tried by many - look for a replacement motor outside of the stock motor - but alas, it has not been found.

Sorry to hear about your problems. Keep looking here and someone may post a reply or offer a motor for sale. I think I have seen two or three parted out in the last couple of months , a little above average for that amount of time - on this forum.
    Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

as hank said, there are motors from parted out saws going for around $50-70 periodically.
      You might want to read my FAQ.
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• schloff
        Established Member
        • Jan 2007
        • Southern Middle TN
        • Powermatic 64 (BT3000 RIP)

I replaced my motor with a Powermatic contractor's saw for about $100 more than what you are being quoted for a motor.

Yes, that's too high for a motor. If you love your saw, as most of us have (some still do) try to locate one off the classified on this site. There's lots of great knowledge lurking here.

I'm not sure what it wouldtake to properly align a new motor to your saw. It might be a nightmare. Might be a simple bolt-up.

Best of luck.

Comment

• cabinetman
          Gone but not Forgotten RIP
          • Jun 2006
          • So. Florida
          • Delta

Originally posted by eray1066
          A less than astute person (I am being kind) overheated my table saw and has ruined the windings. I see where you can get a new BT3000 motor assembly for about $248 plus shipping. Seems too much for such a weak motor. Is there a more robust motor that can be installed into this saw? If not is it better to part out or take the aluminum to a scrap yard?
          You might check with a local motor repair shop to see what it would cost to rebuild it if possible. Or, they may have a motor there that has comparable physical properties that would enable it to fit your saw.

Comment

Working...