• Show
Clear All
  • TheBoiler
    Forum Newbie
    • Oct 2005
    • Colorado
    • BT 3100

Generic Motor for BT3100?

Mine has crapped out and the Ryobi one is a silly price, better to just get something new.

Anyone had any success getting something off the shelf to fit?
  • master53yoda
    Established Member
    • Oct 2008
    • Spokane Washington
    • bt 3000 2 of them and a shopsmith ( but not for the tablesaw part)

not unless you are a very good machinist, the armature won't match anything that i know of, i bought my spare of of ebay for 60%
    Art

If you don't want to know, Don't ask

If I could come back as anyone one in history, It would be the man I could have been and wasn't....

Comment

• TheBoiler
      Forum Newbie
      • Oct 2005
      • Colorado
      • BT 3100

Thanks

I will just need to keep a look out or buy something else.

Comment

• lsatguy
        Handtools only
        • Jun 2011

re-coil would be a way

when I'm a 20s I used to do daily recoil of motors. even the motor burnt one can still know wire gauge and turns. Modern design would have over heat protection.
        13A motor is obsolete, 15A one is ~$300.

Comment

• eezlock
          • Feb 2006
          • Charlotte,N.C.
          • BT3100

generic motor for BT3000

Kinda' looks, as if you choices are getting narrowed down somewhat as to the repairs. (1) replacing the saw....could be very expensive depending on whether you buy new or used. (2) replace motor with NEW one from a Ryobi parts dealer or the factory...both choices are $300 or more in most cases. (3) replace motor with USED one from Cr- List or (4) best choice in my opinion...have motor repaired at a local motor repair shop near you....usually about half the cost of buying a new one, and no reworking anything to make this aftermarket fit all motor work on your saw. If you go with local repair shop, it will be a lot cheaper on you to remove motor and re-install the repaired one vs. having the shop do all the extra labor to do it. At this same time,you should go ahead and install new shims for the motor, and possibly new belts, a little insurance here,may prevent more headaches down the road for you.

Plenty of good info. here on this site from Loring, Black Walnut and others
          about how to do the needed shim/ belt replacement...will save a bunch of hard work and some skinned knuckles and four letter words! eezlock

Comment

• LCHIEN
            Internet Fact Checker
            • Dec 2002
            • Katy, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 vintage 1999

universal motors are almost always proprietary and not in standard frame sizes like induction motors. You will not find a direct replacement anywhere near to fit.

That leaves a replacement from Ryobi, a used motor from a parted out saw, or rewinding/rebuilding your motor at a professional motor shop.
            Loring in Katy, TX USA
            If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
            BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• TheBoiler
              Forum Newbie
              • Oct 2005
              • Colorado
              • BT 3100

I will have a look down in Denver and see if I can find somewhere that can do it at a reasonable price.

Otherwise it will be a new one, or something second-hand if I can find a nice one.

Thanks for the advice.

Comment

Working...