X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cjkess1
    Forum Newbie
    • Mar 2011

Dado stack

I am thinking of purchasing a new sears 21829. I was wondering what the body of the saw is metal or plastic. It appears to be plastic which makes me worry about vibration or twisting in the base with a full dado stack. I do a lot of mortise and tenon's using a tenon jig and dado stack. Can any body tell me if this is an issue.
    Thanks
    Carl
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

the body is sheet steel. The saw handles a dado quite well but its only convenient to use stacked dados and not the wobble type. Also 6" works out better than an 8" for various reasons, usually a 6" dado will cut deep enough for most mortise and tenons, up to 1.5" deep. (the BT3 design cuts up to 3.5 inches deep with a regular 10" blade, deeper than most saws).

Lots of information on using dados in my FAQ, see sig line below.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• eccentrictinkerer
      • Aug 2007
      • Minneapolis, MN
      • BT-3000, 21829

I use an 8" Freud set in my 22811 (BT3000 clone). Works great.

I don't push it very hard and the results are perfect. I'd prefer a 6" set ('cuz of the relatively small motor), but I got the 8" Freud at a garage sale for $15!

I was concerned about vibration, but it's not been an issue.

I just acquired a near-new BT-3100. It'll be interesting seeing if there's much difference.
      You might think I haven't contributed much to the world, but a large number
      of the warning labels on tools can be traced back to things I've done...

Comment

• Cochese
        Veteran Member
        • Jun 2010

The Oshlun 6" dado stack works wonderfully in my 21829. If there's excessive vibration, I haven't noticed.
        I have a little blog about my shop

Comment

Working...