• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JimD
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2003
    • Lexington, SC.

Bad day for my BT3100

My BT3100 has been reliable never giving me any trouble, until today. First I slid the rails apart so I could tilt the saw up and clean it, and lubricate the gears and slides. The front rails would hardly move which turned out to be sawdust compacted in the front slot. My 3 lb dead blow got it apart and cleaning it solved the problem. Next the height adjustment strips - freshly lubed - so I order the helicoils and go back to use it with the blade stuck at maximum height. Then the switch fails. So I still get some wood cut by plugging and unplugging the motor. Quite a day for what has been a good saw. I have my accessory table made with lots of drawers so I will probably just fix it but it's got me thinking of a hybrid, or maybe even the SawStop contractor saw.

Best place to get the switch?

Jim
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

M and D Mower...

Sorry to hear about your bad day. Sometimes it happens like that...
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• pelligrini
      Veteran Member
      • Apr 2007
      • Fort Worth, TX
      • Craftsman 21829

Man, when it rains it pours... sorry to hear it.

You might consider mounting a bigger paddle switch. Rockler has this one on sale right now: http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=17401
      Erik

Comment

• Shep
        • Nov 2008
        • Columbus, OH
        • Hitachi C10FL

Wow, mine switch failed me too. PM Loring for the FAQ's, it show how to get a replacement switch.
        Last edited by Shep; 09-07-2010, 10:37 AM.
        -Justin

shepardwoodworking.webs.com

...you can thank me later.

Comment

• JimD
          Veteran Member
          • Feb 2003
          • Lexington, SC.

I googled for Ryobi parts after posting this and found "eReplacementparts.com". I also looked at M and D mower but there were some bad reseller ratings so I did not check out their website. eReplacement parts has a pretty good website. The switch was less than $7 and in stock but I decided to do the shims while I am in there and they were not in stock (but were cheap, less than $2.50). I ordered brushes too and the total order was less than $30.

Helicoil kit was less than $40 and drill bit was less than $20. So all my trouble amounts to maybe $85 in parts. That's a lot less than a new saw. And not so bad considering I've made several bedroom sets, 2 kitchen tables, 12 kitchen chairs, plus a lot of other stuff on it.

Jim

Comment

• dbhost
            Slow and steady
            • Apr 2008
            • League City, Texas
            • Ryobi BT3100

I haven't done a LOT with M and D, however, I have gotten a few of the cosmetic pieces for my BT3100 from them, with no problems whatsoever. I have used eReplacementparts.com as well. I had no idea they carried power tool parts, I got the heating coil for my clothes dryer from them... Another decent online seller...
            Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• mnmphd
              Forum Newbie
              • Feb 2006

Just as an FYI, when I stripped the threads from the lift screw of my BT3100,
              I just ordered a new motor bracket from M&D. If I recall it was under $30, and
              easier to replace than inserting a Helicoil in the damaged threads.

MNM
              Last edited by mnmphd; 09-07-2010, 03:33 PM.

Comment

Working...