Post up pics please. BT3Ks on mobile cabinets.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

Post up pics please. BT3Ks on mobile cabinets.

I am fishing for ideas here folks. I need to see some custom rolling cabs under a BT3K. Mostly looking for ideas, not to copy, but integrate the best ideas I see... Like many of you, I need to maximize storage, and under the saw seems like the perfect place to start..
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.
  • RodKirby
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Melbourne, Victoria, Australia.
    • Mao Shan TSC-10RAS

I had an "identical" base on my BT3000 - I built this one when I went to the dark side

The right hand unit (mobile), does not provide support - just more storage under the "right wing".

Click image for larger version

Name:	ks0901.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	78.6 KB
ID:	785403Click image for larger version

Name:	ks0904.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	785404
    Downunder ... 1" = 25.4mm

Comment

• pelligrini
      Veteran Member
      • Apr 2007
      • Fort Worth, TX
      • Craftsman 21829

In one of the recent magazines there was a nice saw blade storage idea. I can't remember which one, maybe Popular Woodworking. One of the photos showed the box attached under a table saw. It incorporated flat trays out of 1/4" MDF. I'll look to see which mag tonight.
      Erik

Comment

• charliex
        • Mar 2004
        • Spring Valley, MN, USA.
        • Sears equivelent BT3100-1

I am humbled to follow Rod's masterpiece of fine wood(MDF)working with my offering. It's just a box of 3/4" melamine board butt joined with glue and screws. I dado-ed just through the melamine to give the glue bite, then pre-drilled for 2 1/2" deck screws. The back is also 3/4" melamine inset into the top, bottom and sides. It's solid enough that it does not follow the hilly contours of my shop floor, meaning there's often one wheel off the deck. The casters are 2 way locking. The drawer and the area under it holds TS related stuff. The rest of the cabinet is for jig, Circular and reciprocating saws and their associated items. The doors are slide-by so as to not need swing room or hinges. I built it for my BT and sized it to best make use of scraps from the HD cull bin. Total cost was less than $46.00 and $32.00 was for the casters.

Chas
        Attached Files

Comment

• dbhost
          Slow and steady
          • Apr 2008
          • League City, Texas
          • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by pelligrini
          In one of the recent magazines there was a nice saw blade storage idea. I can't remember which one, maybe Popular Woodworking. One of the photos showed the box attached under a table saw. It incorporated flat trays out of 1/4" MDF. I'll look to see which mag tonight.
          I think you are talking about the most recent issue of Shop Notes. Not exactly what I had in mind, but not a bad idea... I am kind of looking for something with more storage, and better dust control.
          Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• Black wallnut
            cycling to health
            • Jan 2003
            • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
            • BT3k 1999

Mine is real close to Sam's Maroon and Maple in design. Sadly many of the pics are hosted on LOML's gallery on Stan's server and I can never seem to remember the URL for that. An older page can be found here.
            Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• steve-norrell
              Veteran Member
              • Apr 2006
              • The Great Land - Alaska
              • BT3100-1

Here are a few pictures of the set-up that has 'evolved' over several years. Virtually all of the ideas incorporated here have come from this forum in one way or another. I am fortunate in having the full width of a garage to work in.

Essentially, the system consists of the BT3100 mounted on a center mobile base with a router (and lift) table extension to the left and an extension table to the right (as you face the front of the Bt3100). The back view shows the dust collection system. The three sections are fairly easy to see in the photos and can be added one at a time, or even not at all. Its designed to come apart into three sections, roughly as described here.

The only aspect that might require some patience is the acquisition of the rails for the extensions (this forum is probably the best place to find them). But although I wanted rails the full length, they are not necessary.

Good luck, Steve.
              Attached Files

Comment

• pelligrini
                Veteran Member
                • Apr 2007
                • Fort Worth, TX
                • Craftsman 21829

Originally posted by dbhost
                I think you are talking about the most recent issue of Shop Notes. Not exactly what I had in mind, but not a bad idea... I am kind of looking for something with more storage, and better dust control.
                It is in the Oct. 2010 of The Woodworkers Journal. I liked the design. It is more compact and space efficient than most I've seen. If my saw was stationary I would incorporate it into my base. I'm probably going to build someting similar for my shop shelves.
                You can see it in the first of this video: http://www.woodworkersjournal.com/Ma...does_7754.aspx
                I'd probably cut all those dadoes in one long piece then crosscut it in half.
                Erik

Comment

• Norm in Fujino
                  • Dec 2002
                  • Fujino-machi, Kanagawa-ken, Japan.
                  • Ryobi BT-3000

This isn't as mobile as I would like at times, but then, I don't have to move it much, either.
                  ==========
                  ". . . and only the stump, or fishy part of him remained."
                  Green Gables: A Contemplative Companion to Fujino Township

Comment

• Stan
                    • Mar 2004
                    • Kalispell, MT, USA.
                    • BT3100, Delta 36-717

Originally posted by Black wallnut
                    Mine is real close to Sam's Maroon and Maple in design. Sadly many of the pics are hosted on LOML's gallery on Stan's server and I can never seem to remember the URL for that. An older page can be found here.

Here ya go Mark.

I should look around and find some pictures of the old 'elkzilla, dual BT3X00' cart.
                    From the NW corner of Montana.
                    http://www.elksigndesigns.com

Comment

• chopnhack
                      Veteran Member
                      • Oct 2006
                      • Florida
                      • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by pelligrini
                      It is in the Oct. 2010 of The Woodworkers Journal. I liked the design. It is more compact and space efficient than most I've seen. If my saw was stationary I would incorporate it into my base. I'm probably going to build someting similar for my shop shelves.
                      You can see it in the first of this video: http://www.woodworkersjournal.com/Ma...does_7754.aspx
                      I'd probably cut all those dadoes in one long piece then crosscut it in half.
                      Pretty cool video Pellegrini, I left this comment: "Cool method. But I do have to ask myself if there was not another method possible.... What if after the first cut you installed a 1/4" aluminum bar on your throat plate at the distance you desired - it essentially would act as a runner in your dado to guide for the next cuts."
                      I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• JSUPreston
                        Veteran Member
                        • Dec 2005
                        • Montgomery, AL.
                        • Delta 36-979 w/Biesemyere fence kit making it a 36-982. Previous saw was BT3100-1.

I just remembered "Sawzilla." Here's the link to the site: http://home.pacbell.net/wkenddad/
                        "It's a dog eat dog world out there, and I'm wearing Milk-Bone underwear."- Norm (from Cheers)

Eat beef-because the west wasn't won on salad.

Comment

• Mr__Bill
                          Veteran Member
                          • May 2007
                          • Tacoma, WA
                          • BT3000

When I got my BT3000 it was on a wooded table with 4 2x2 legs. I kept cutting the legs off until I had the saw at what I thought was a good height. Then I built a stand to see if I really liked that height. It's made of 3/4 white ply from Home Depot with a torsion box at the base a full 3/4 back and the face frame is just more 3/4 ply. I haven't gotten to making doors or even organizing the insides beyond the shelf under the router. On the right is a switched and a non switched outlet for the router and saw. Now that I have an automatic vac switch I need to re-do that. Perched off to the right is the fence for the router.

Here is the cart, 34.5" high

Here is a detail of the casters, 4 Grizzly 3" 2 way locking swivel casters.

It's really just a simple box on wheels but for now it does the job.

Bill
                          over here on the left side

Comment

• Taylormade
                            Forum Newbie
                            • Feb 2011
                            • Tampa, FL
                            • Ryobi BT3000

Bringing this one back from the dead

So, Dbhost, did you ever create yours and can you share it with us? I'm about to embark on a very interesting journey and I'd like to see what you came up with.

Mine is going to incorporate a "break away" side table that I can use when I need to make wide cuts but I'd be able to use it as a mobile workbench when not needed for the table saw.

Comment

• dbhost
                              Slow and steady
                              • Apr 2008
                              • League City, Texas
                              • Ryobi BT3100

I haven't even finalized a design yet. I keep flailing between ideas... I am leaning quite heavily toward a basic box under the saw, and box between the rails sharing a common torsion box base. I am still trying to figure out what to do with my present 2 gallon Thien rig, and am considering scrapping it, and just using the DC and perhaps a downdraft box for sanding operations...

Comment

Working...