• Show
Clear All
  • themachine
    Established Member
    • Jan 2006
    • Cincinnati, OH
    • BT3100, General Intl. 220

BT3100 as auxilliary saw

I have a BT3100 with all the accessories that has less than 5 hours use. Shortly after buying it, I got a great opportunity to get a General hybrid saw inexpensively, so the BT3100 has been sittting idle. I am debating whether it is worth selling it or should I keep it and dedicate it to a particular task. And what would that task be? Any suggestions for the value of this as a second saw? I have limited space but so far it fits OK. I am a hobbyist who does four or five furniture pieces a year, and the occasional cutting board.
  • natausch
    Established Member
    • Aug 2009
    • Aurora, IL
    • BT3000 - 15A

Debated about this too when I picked up a hyrbid. If I had the space I would have kept mine as a dedicated dado saw. The other main option would be if your SMT can be dialed in to turn it into a dedicated miter/crosscut saw.

Comment

• pecker
      Established Member
      • Jun 2003

When I got my Rigid TS3650, I assumed I would sell the old BT. But the resale value was pretty low...maybe $150.

So I kept it. Right now it serves as a tool stand for a spindle sander. When I need an extra work surface, a piece of melamine particle board turns it into an assembly table. Occasionally I set it up to make dadoes, while the Rigid does the ripping.

And sometimes I just use it for it's large crosscutting capacity...it's more than my crosscut sled can do.

Comment

• dbhost
        Slow and steady
        • Apr 2008
        • League City, Texas
        • Ryobi BT3100

The answer to your question is really up to you. What is more important, having the space to spare in your shop, or having an extra saw, to, well maybe dedicate to doing dadoes or something like that. The BT3x00 is a great saw, but if you like that General better, well. If it were me I would be selling the BT...
        Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• gsmittle
          Veteran Member
          • Aug 2004
          • St. Louis, MO, USA.
          • BT 3100

Maybe you could mount it inside the General's rails as an auxiliary table/Frankensaw.

g.
          Smit

"Be excellent to each other."
          Bill & Ted

Comment

• LarryG
            The Full Monte
            • May 2004
            • Off The Back
            • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

"Dedicated dado saw" is one common thought for a second table saw, and I'm sure that works for some people. When I got my cabinet saw, I thought about relegating my BT3100 to dado duty. Then I realized that unless I cut the exact same width of dado every time -- which is not likely to happen even if you work exclusively with plywood, because of the inevitable thickness variations from sheet to sheet -- I'd be breaking down the dado stack anyway, so why not do it on the big saw, and take advantage of its larger tables and more powerful motor?

So my BT got shoved over into a corner of the shop and sat there unused for at least two years. I still have it, and I may fit it with a sanding disc. Far more likely, however, that I'll just sell the thing and free up that amount of floor space in my new shop for something more useful.
            Larry

Comment

• Mr__Bill
              Veteran Member
              • May 2007
              • Tacoma, WA
              • BT3000

If you find that you often take down a jig or setup to make another cut on the saw and then have to reset the jig, then it's a good bet that you will find use for a second saw. If I had the space I would have too, just so that I could leave a complicated setup until I had the project to a point where I knew I would not need it again. I would also have two router tables for that reason too.

Bill
              that's my opinion and I'll stick with it until I change my mind

Comment

Working...