• Show
Clear All
  • Cajunrotor
    Forum Newbie
    • Oct 2009
    • Texas
    • Ryobi BT3000

BT3K SMT track indentations

I'm having the same issue with my SMT miter fence. I removed it yesterday to recheck the slides and in the process discovered damage to the miter bolt slide channel where it tightens underneath the table. Apparently the harder steel bolt head digs into the softer aluminum over time. I can't get a good measurement of the indents, but my guess is that they are about 1/32 or so on BOTH sides of the channel. Don't know if this might be the same cause of Sailor's problems but it appears to be the culprit in my case. Now, how to fix? JBWeld, other suggestions?

I've taken a couple of pictures but haven't figured out how to paste them into this message.
  • Black wallnut
    cycling to health
    • Jan 2003
    • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
    • BT3k 1999

You could build it back up with JB weld or some other epoxy putty that is machinable and then file it smooth.

Once repaired only snug it each time rather than over tighten.
    Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
      The Full Monte
      • May 2007
      • Sunshine State
      • BT3000

It's a natural tendency to overtighten that bolt, but as you have observed, the surface of that aluminum cannot resist the steel bolt, so those indentations should not really cause trouble down the road, as the bolt will still go where it wants to. It's not really Ryobi's finest design moment, as a fixture with a larger flatter surface than that bolt head would probably have been better, but I don't think the dings along the bottom surface of the slot will prevent the fence from sitting flat and solid on the top side of the table.

Comment

• Black wallnut
        cycling to health
        • Jan 2003
        • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
        • BT3k 1999

I agree with UC! The above pics are of the damage my bolt track has after ten plus years.
        Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• LCHIEN
          Internet Fact Checker
          • Dec 2002
          • Katy, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 vintage 1999

UC Wrote "but I don't think the dings along the bottom surface of the slot will prevent the fence from sitting flat and solid on the top side of the table."

I agree.
          Loring in Katy, TX USA
          If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
          BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• pelligrini
            Veteran Member
            • Apr 2007
            • Fort Worth, TX
            • Craftsman 21829

I'm not sure if you saw this in Sailor's thread.

Swapping out the Ryobi bolt with a T-Bolt will help to lessen the likelihood of damage.
            As described in this thread: http://www.bt3central.com/showthread.php?t=38224
            Erik

Comment

• Cajunrotor
              Forum Newbie
              • Oct 2009
              • Texas
              • Ryobi BT3000

I don't have a problem with the fence sitting flat, but it does tend to rotate off 90 degrees ever so slightly. Guess I'll try putting sandpaper on the bottom first to see if that helps before attempting to fill/file the indentations.

Comment

• LCHIEN
                Internet Fact Checker
                • Dec 2002
                • Katy, TX, USA.
                • BT3000 vintage 1999

cajun rotor, if you look at the recent threads started by Sailor3550, i discuss the various things that technique can do to minimize rotation of the miter fence.

I think, yes, the indents say you are tightening your knob pretty hard, I also think the indent won't necessarily detract from your fence sitting still.
                I think maybe there's a technique issue possibly. No matter how hard the miter fence is tightened, I could probably rig up a lever long enough to make it move. The secret is to limit the leveraging.
                Last edited by LCHIEN; 08-02-2010, 08:28 AM.
                Loring in Katy, TX USA
                If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Cajunrotor
                  Forum Newbie
                  • Oct 2009
                  • Texas
                  • Ryobi BT3000

Well I finally got back in the shop (garage) this past weekend despite the 100 degree plus temperatures.

I decided to try a T-bolt as a replacement for the stock miter knob bolt (thanks, Pelligrini!). That, along with some 600 grit sandpaper on the bottom of the miter fence seems to have done the trick. I now have a stable miter fence without having to over-torque the knob and (further) damage the slide channel.

Now if I can just stop the sweat from dripping onto everything, maybe I can get my project completed!

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

Earl

Comment

• pelligrini
                    Veteran Member
                    • Apr 2007
                    • Fort Worth, TX
                    • Craftsman 21829

Cool, glad you got it sorted.

Looks like we might get a break with the heat. I saw on the extend forecast this morning that there is a cool front coming this weekend. It's only supposed to get to 97.
                    Erik

Comment

Working...