• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lonnie in Orlando
    • May 2003
    • Orlando, FL, USA.
    • BT3000

Outfeed Table - cutout for SMT

I added a Ryobi folding outfeed table to my BT3000 in 2001, and for nine years I've been complaining about how it limits travel of the SMT. Finally decided to "make the cut". Should have done it years ago.

MDF and plywood support under the cutout. Shims under the rear rail and table to lower the hinges below the SMT. A little gray paint for looks.

- Lonnie
    Attached Files
    OLD STUFF ... houses, furniture, cars, wine ... I love it all
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

I have the Folding outfeed table, too.
    I solved the problem differently.
    I moved the left side hinge to a position inside (e.g. to the right of the SMT) so that the hinge does not restrict the travel of the SMT. The hinge is now entirely behind the main table.
    The SMT can still hit the table but the travel limit is not usually an issue as the miter fence goes to at least mid-blade. When the table is folded the hinge is not in the way at all. Cuts with the miter table seldom require the outfeed table that you would need for rips. But, I seldom fold my outfeed table and it has not within recent memory been an issue in SMT travel.

To move the hinge, you simply must countersink some new holes in the table, I seem to recall the bolts are 1/4-20 carriage bolts.
    No rail modification needs be done since the rail is slotted.
    The table has a bit more wobble with the hinges closer together rather than widely set, but it appears to be of no serious consequence.

It would seem with the OP's solution the hinges would not be on the same axis so folding the table would put the hinges in a bit of a bind. Unless you lower both hinges.
    Last edited by LCHIEN; 07-18-2010, 04:29 PM.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

Working...